first kifaru need advice

OP
B

brik

FNG
sveltri
having owned the woodsman do you feel it would over lap my bigger bag either one of the new packs or mnt warrior or reckoning?? I mean I really liked the woodsman i could add belt pouches to the sides for organization and my calls and it would be big enough i just felt it was overlapping one of the bigger packs id get?

brownbear

FNG
Try these pics

67746778-A4FC-407E-93F8-3EE9128B8099.jpgA6127106-9814-448B-830D-6CEE45705042.jpg15C19D3A-3D1D-416B-B677-87BD513758C9.jpg

Fingers crossed for the frankenpack pics to post; Sorry for the delay- I read a good bit last night how to post full sized pictures, and my little brain isn't quite absorbing the info.

Again- Duplex frame; Pics taken outside are a 3000 cube duffle; inside are a 2000 cube duffle.

If I could afford to do so, I would own every pack that Kifaru developed (well, almost). These duffle bags allow me to try different sizes and configurations in the interim. Plus, in my experience, duffle bags never go to waste. They make a great organization pod for the home or vehicle, foot locker, or beater bag.

OP
B

brik

FNG
Thanks bear. Yeah I can see these pics fine. I just figured I did something wrong with other ones. Looks like you are set up same way Ryan was carrying his weight too. One thing I got out of this no matter which pack I get is that I definitely need a grab-it and lid. Thanks again for post

sveltri

WKR
brik- at this point I still own both the woodsman and the mountain warrior. IMO the mtn warrior was already the best single pack for me. By adding a grab-it that would be used as a meat shelf and a couple compression straps that ran on the outside of the zippered pocket it basically covered all my needs, but it wasn't perfect. I ran a 14'r for day hunts last year and it worked great, when I killed my bull I took the back straps and t-loins out on the first trip with the 14'r and then grabbed my frame that I had setup to haul meat.

This system worked great, but again wasn't perfect. It really boils down to what you want. For training a grab-it and a couple auto lock buckles and you're golden. That way you never have to unnecessarily stress your bag or meat shelf, it would be difficult for me to justify buying a bag strictly for training. The other thing I really like about the MW is how neatly it will compress to be used in day hunt mode. I have never deboned an animal to pack it out, I have always quartered them, so packing meat inside the bag wasn't something I wanted/needed to do. So the move to a smaller pack with a meat shelf made sense for me. In addition to what I already stated I am also trying to lighten my load this year and therefore need to give myself less capacity. Its very hard for me to see extra room and not take advantage it. See pic below for a trip I made this summer, in the pack I had the following and had plenty of room to spare.

0 degree down bag, stuffed into the bottom of the bag
Redcliff/pole
fishing gear
food
stove
extra clothes
rain coat
ground sheet
pillow
possibles pouch
whatever else I'm forgetting

As you can see I ran a standard lid an had a ton of room left. The truth is this may be your first Kifaru bag, but it probably won't be your last. For the most part they all resell pretty easy for pretty good money. Go with your gut and buy the bag that appeals the most to you. You'll figure out if a center zip is your preference vs a panel loader vs whatever. I started with a 22 mag, it's a great bag, then went to a MW, then to a 14'r and now to a woodsman. They all work, but you'll find out which one or two or three (haha) works best for you. At this point start by narrowing down how many cubic inches you need and go from there. The other thing you could do is call those guys, they are very approachable and really want you to be happy with their gear.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan if you dont know off hand it isnt a big deal i can call and ask tomorrow just thought id see if you were still up and knew already

You'll probably have to call and ask just to make 100% sure. I heard Aron say they were going to be sewn in.. but better make sure they're sending a newly sewed one.

deadwolf

WKR
The 22 mag is going to be shipped with a sewn in meat shelf this year.. new development I just found out. Even if it didn’t though the bag worked great as it’s own shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope the 22mag I just ordered has a real meat shelf! At 25% off it wouldn’t have been a deal breaker anyway : )

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope the 22mag I just ordered has a real meat shelf! At 25% off it wouldn’t have been a deal breaker anyway : )

Definitely not a deal breaker I'd say! The bag works extremely well as its own shelf though... nothing moves any more than it would with a sewn in shelf I promise you. Crank on the very bottom straps and roll!

deadwolf

WKR
Definitely not a deal breaker I'd say! The bag works extremely well as its own shelf though... nothing moves any more than it would with a sewn in shelf I promise you. Crank on the very bottom straps and roll!

I already have a prototype “meat shelf” in the works and on the sewing machine. It is just a piece of 500d cordura, with a sewn in channel for the bottom straps to slide through on each end, giving you a platform for the load cell bag or meat to ride on. You can take it on or off as needed, or leave it attached all the time. Would give peace of mind if nothing else that the load wouldn’t fall between the straps. Should work out good.

brownbear

FNG
Great idea! I thought about that as well, but the only sewing experience I have is from a pillow case and draw string bag I made in seventh grade home ec.