first kifaru need advice

brik

FNG
Hello first time posting and i tried really tried for my first post to not be one of these type of post but i could really use some more opinions on this from people who have used the gear before. I said more bc i have been searching since November for a new kifaru pack but with all the options and my inability to make a decision here i am. First i am 5'8.25 (when your a shorty like me every 1/4 inch counts lol) and 175lbs. I will be going out west hunting elk for the first time this year and managed to some how talk my wife into the idea that i need 2 bags one for training and around here(PA) and one for out there. My wife and i also do a lot of weekend trips and hiking vacations. I plan on getting the reckoning or one of the new packs for out west and our 8 day backpacking trip we always take in august but i am looking for a day pack/weekend trip for around here that i can use to train with. I am looking at 3 packs well 4 that i can use help with from people who has had them. Also i like to train with my pack at least 3 days a week if not more when time allows. I have lost 50lbs doing this since last june and in about the same shape i was in when i was in military so training with pack is probably most important since ill be getting 2nd pack anyways.

1) woodsman

Great for day hunting and weekend trips and can do 3 or 4 day trips with lid and belt pouches can easily fit my mnt
serape and 45lbs of sand on top of it for training. im using the mnt serape to get the weight up more in center of pack.
Possible down side of this bag in my eyes is it is to close to the reckoning for my 2 pack combo???

2) 22 mag

Love the looks of this bag and Jordans review made me like it even more. Looks like great day pack and with lid, grab it,
some belt pouches would make a great weekend, long weekend bag. Where i am worried with this bag is that its main
bag is only 1600 so could i fit 45 50lbs of sand in it for training and also if i could fit that in it for training would i be able
to elevate the weight up to center of my back? Would that be needed even? I have currently been training with a sg sky
5900 and use the mnt serape to keep weight up in center and hear the horror stories of people that dont keep the
weight up in center of back on those train to hunt shoots and with me doing this 3 plus times a week i dont want to get
rubbed raw in my lower back and prevent me doing more training

3) apollo

I believe this pack was made for the train to hunt crowd so i assume it will be pretty good for training so that is big plus
also it is a nice day pack. With a guide lid and maybe a 55l dry bag between the frame i could use it for weekend trips
too.
Down side is no place to attach extra belt pockets and stuff for extra space and organization.

4) cargo panel

So this would obviously be great for the training hikes. I can just put my mnt serape in then sand and tighten it up. I can
add belt pockets to back and inside for the day stuff and on weekend trips add a dry bag and be good. i could also haul
wood back to house for our weekly dinner over the camp fire between turkey and archery seasons (no time to eat over
fire during them times lol).
Down side is no real bag and i never used anything like it so not sure if id love it or not like it i have read on here where
people love the cargo panel and ones who didn't like to deal with it and went back to bag.

Thanks in advance for just taking the timee to read this wall of text i tend to ramble with my thoughts. In jordans 22 mag video she said it would be multiple parts bc she talks or rambles to much i just laughed bc i am a huge rambler and way more than her lol.

brownbear

FNG
Looks like you have the "right ones" narrowed down. My advice is go with the one that provides enough room for what you will realistically bring. I've been eyeing the 22mag as well, but keep finding other items to purchase, as what I currently use has worked well enough. I have a duplex frame that I have a Kifaru pack and set up a few "frankenpacks" for now.

One thing I would strongly suggest is to purchase a Grab-It over the cargo panel. When I'm not in bulky clothing mode and using my Highcamp, I have been using various sized duffle bags compressed against the duplex frame via the Grab-It. It's not sexy, but it works well and is much less of an expenditure to mess around with different sizes.

The Woodsman is cool- but if you're considering a Reckoning down the road, there *may* be overlap between your bags. I dig the 22 magnum as it does have pockets to organize your gear and looks most like a traditional daypack. It also looks like the side pockets are a great way to expand your volume without getting too crazy. That said, the Apollo is a comparably sized pack (maybe bigger) than the main compartment of the 22 mag, and is a good price, but a 2,000 cube duffle bag can be had for much less.

I attached some pics of my duffle bags against the duplex. The outside pics are of a 3,000 cube duffle piggy-backed with a Badlands Reactor, the same setup with attached guide lid, and the inside pics are of a 2,000 cube duffle. I purchased both for under $30 on sales from EMS/REI.

Again, the Kifaru packs are MUCH nicer than an attached duffle bag; but they may work well enough if you're going with a Reckoning anyway- IF you get a Grab-It (Which should be standard Kifaru Equipment)

View attachment 64905View attachment 64903View attachment 64904

Post Script: I don't haul sand- but I do fill may packs with equipment and water- keeps it from feeling like I'm carrying a bag of sand ;)

Last edited:

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't want to discourage getting two bags, but even the big ones collapse down a lot and are great for training. I don't really do the sandbag thing unless I really need to bump weight up, I just pack my bag with everything in it that I'd be taking with me so I need that bigger bag.

I'd recommend if your going with the Reckoning or another bag, to just get that right now. Then you can train with it and really find out if your going to like that bag for this fall or not. Buuuut given the options above, plus if your getting a bigger bag, that 22mag is pretty great.

OP
B

brik

FNG
Brownbear, thanks for taking the time to read and respond and also for validating my worries on bag over lab. I also could not see your photos maybe bc I'm on my phone now or maybe bc my membership type, I don't know.

Here's my 22mag with the use of a grab it. This way you should have additional carrying capacity. I also do the same thing with my apollo, but it doesn't need the grab it as it has a load shelf. That being said, having the grab it is nice as I can adjust where the load sits on my frame.

wdSu4Ng.jpg

Last edited:
OP
B

brik

FNG
Jordan, thanks for taking the time to review my post and reply. I was thinking about going with the big bag first and training with it then getting the day pack b4 archery season here in pa. Now that your recommending it also seems like the way I potentially should go.

OP
B

brik

FNG
Ryan, thanks for that pic now I'm back on the 22 mag first for training. Lol plus if I get the smaller bag first then I have to get the larger bag and wife can't say I don't need it lol.
Also Ryan between the Apollo and 22mag which do u like to train with most or is there pro's or con's to either.
Thanks

OP
B

brik

FNG
Ryan one last thing with that if you don't mind. Do you load your weight bag with something on bottom then the weight or is it a non issue bc you can just elevate the grab it?
Thanks

Ryan, thanks for that pic now I'm back on the 22 mag first for training. Lol plus if I get the smaller bag first then I have to get the larger bag and wife can't say I don't need it lol.
Also Ryan between the Apollo and 22mag which do u like to train with most or is there pro's or con's to either.
Thanks

If I had to choose one bag, I'd take the 22mag. If you're looking for something strictly for training, I would suggest taking a look at the grab it, and possibly one of the guide lids. You could strap down any type of "weighted bag" to a frame with a grab it and a couple compression straps. If you need to carry any extra stuff, you can just add one of the guide lids. (Which reminds me, I need to buy the new organizer lid.) Then you can use those accessories with any bag. I always use my grab it and lid in combination with my hunting packs.

tlMBHn6.jpg

Grab it holding a compound.

5SxMdUi.jpg

Guide lid on my apollo

6VmXVXk.jpg

Not recommended, but guide lid to haul out meat. Strapped outside due to the heat.

w6LVqy4.jpg

I even use my grab it on my fishing kayak. LOL!

The Kifaru frames and packs are so versatile. All you need is a few extra buckles and straps and you can do all kinds of things.

Last edited:
Ryan one last thing with that if you don't mind. Do you load your weight bag with something on bottom then the weight or is it a non issue bc you can just elevate the grab it?
Thanks

Usually I'll just bottom out the lower compression straps. If that doesn't work because of the shape of the weights, I'll just add some closed cell foam to the bottom of the bag. If I'm using the grab it between the frame and pack, then I'll just tighten the webbing and elevate it.

Last edited:
Always elevate weight when you can. Sometimes the load is to large and you have to put it in the lowest hook up. But, weight doesn't feel as bad higher versus lower. Kifaru's strategy is carrying the weight on your hips. However, don't get that confused with spreading the weight across your upper back and the back of your shoulders.

Coming from a tree stand and ground hunter both, the 22 mag is going to be the better bang for the buck versus the apollo. You can make the apollo work in a stand and, it does great for day hunting from the ground. But, it doesn't have the organization of the 22 mag. So, it s harder to find your calls and such while perched in a tree. Like I said, it can be done as I own and use an apollo. I hung about 15 times last season and if it is all I had, I'd be happy. Now, as a day pack ground hunter, I do believe there isn't a better option then the apollo for the eastern deer hunter that has to pack meat out versus dragging it. It really is a great pack.

For training, I don't see a lot of differences other than the apollo does have a meat shelf. I carried a bunch of weight in mine training last year and it did great.

I own an apollo that I have for sale on the classified's. I am currently awaiting a price quote for a customized pack that shares a lot of the dimensions as the apollo. I like the apollo that much for hunting. The only difference between the customized bag and the apollo is the bag I am having priced has more organization with more pockets. However, if I don't go that route, I do intend to buy a 22 mag. There is guy here awaiting me to decide between the apollo similar bag or his 22 mag. So, take from that what you will. Different strokes for different folks and you may be very happy with a stock apollo. If you think you are, there is one cheap for sale right now. :D

Good luck and God Bless

OP
B

brik

FNG
Ryan thanks again for all your help and advice the pics really helped a ton, but that first picture really confuses me. What are those wheel things on that bow? lol im a stick bow guy too. That was kind of my thinking where i get a day pack for hunting here in Pa with emphasis on training while also getting all the add-on that i would need/want and then on fathers day get the big pack for out west.
WV i went to pitt so i dont think im supposed to trust you lol jk. Thanks for your advice and taking the time. Being a stick bow guy i really liked the Apollo for stump shooting and training but i probably love organization more. I just loved the way the 22mag was looking. I just worried about the training part of it and getting enough weight in it and up off my butt. Seeing how ryan was running his 22mag for training really made it swing to the 22mag. Being a tree-stand hunter most of the year and a huge turkey hunter im strongly leaning towards the 22mag like u suggested also. Add in some belt pockets a grab it and a lid and i think ill be set for anything from training to turkeys to tree-stands. Thanks to all wish i came here a month ago lol

Ryan thanks again for all your help and advice the pics really helped a ton, but that first picture really confuses me. What are those wheel things on that bow? lol im a stick bow guy too. That was kind of my thinking where i get a day pack for hunting here in Pa with emphasis on training while also getting all the add-on that i would need/want and then on fathers day get the big pack for out west.

That's my wife in the first pic. ;) We can't depend on me to fill the freezer.

Iaoj9kl.jpg

Although I primarily hunt with my stickbows these days, I do shoot compounds too and might switch back if we make the move out West.

oagHd28.jpg

Here's an image of what I was talking about. The grey bag would mimic your "weight bag". On the left, the grab it and two compression straps and on the right, the guide lid, grab it and two compression straps.

3aTcUv8.jpg

Last edited:
OP
B

brik

FNG
Great!! thanks Nice pics. great ram. Your lucky my wife doesnt hunt so it is just up to me and the local butcher.
i was also considering going back to a modern bow for trips out west to increase my chances i just love the stickbow
i use that same grey bag for my sand bags too. looks like a great set up for the training hikes around the house, step ups and stuff. Then when wife and I go for a weekend trip I can throw on the 22 mag and have room for weekend kit and still keep the weight on for the hike.

For what you have described, you need to be leaning that way brik. That was the way I was nudging you as well. I'd love to sell the apollo quick but, after using it for both training and hunting, and being able to relate that with your description, the 22 mag is better versed for your needs. It'd be a great day hunting pack for out west too as long as you don't intend to bivy camp for the whole trip. And as Ryan said, get a grab it. That and a guide lid instantly transforms the 22 mag into a very capable a 2-3 night away from base camp bag, in the right weather. Maybe 4-5 nights. Good luck and God Bless

sveltri

WKR
Having owned both the 22mag and the woodsman, I would lean towards the woodsman. You can simply use the meat shelf for training, and can add spotting scope pockets making it somewhat similar to the woodsman. That being said, if you want to go the 1 pack route, which is totally doable, I would wait for the new and improved MOUNTAIN WARRIOR to be released. Sorry, I know that’s not one you asked about.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having owned both the 22mag and the woodsman, I would lean towards the woodsman. You can simply use the meat shelf for training, and can add spotting scope pockets making it somewhat similar to the woodsman. That being said, if you want to go the 1 pack route, which is totally doable, I would wait for the new and improved MOUNTAIN WARRIOR to be released. Sorry, I know that’s not one you asked about.

The 22 mag is going to be shipped with a sewn in meat shelf this year.. new development I just found out. Even if it didn’t though the bag worked great as it’s own shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sveltri

WKR
I really did like the 22 mag, my biggest complaint was the only way to add additional capacity was to attach the panel moving whatever weight you put in there away from you. I guess the good thing is you can’t really go wrong either way.

OP
B

brik

FNG
thanks again guys for advice and taking the time to read my rambling.

Jordan do you know if they have to sell out of current model of 22mag or all 22mags ordered now will have that meat shelf?

Sveltri no reason to apologize there is no such thing as a bad idea. I really feel like a 22mag for tree stand and just gernal day hunting here in the east would probably be the best from all that i have read and the great advice that i have gotten here. That said i still in my have jordan words bouncing around in my head about getting the bigger bag first and training with it then getting the smaller bag. She just didnt account for the wife and how i would justify a 2nd bag if the one works ok for both lol. That could easily put the new Mnt warrior advice right up there. I havent heard anything about it tho im not in the loop like you guys are nor and i really good with this internet thing lol. i just got instagram yesterday so i could look at packs and hunting stuff from you guys and that is confusing lol . Some lady asked to follow me and i have no idea who she was or how she got my info i thought i hid but the wife said she wasnt the "right" type that id want to let follow me lol.

OP
B

brik

FNG
Jordan if you dont know off hand it isnt a big deal i can call and ask tomorrow just thought id see if you were still up and knew already