Newbie looking for a day pack

Hey guys I’m trying to narrow my selection down for a new day pack.

I live in the Midwest and do a lot of tree stand hunting, river fishing, scouting, waterfowl and am just generally an active outdoorsman.

I don’t really need to worry about packing meat out. So I’m not looking for anything huge.

I’m thinking about a MR Scapegoat 25 or 35, MR ASAP, badlands diablo....

Please help!!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'd imagine the kifaru 14er is probably about the ultimate daypack if hauling meat isnt something you need to do. Also the Tarryall. You may even look into the SG avail.

frankrb3

WKR
Mystery ranch has a lot of cool new day hunting packs coming out this year and since you're already looking at them I would consider the new pop-up frame packs. I have no experience with the pop-up frames so my .2 cents might not be worth .2 cents in this case. Good luck.

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm a big fan of the Badlands Packs with the Hypervent system. I think they do it in their Diablo and Dash. I've got one of their older packs from the 2000's and it is still my go to pack when I'm doing lots of moving around (horn hunting, scouting, and spot n stalk). The Hypervent system keeps some distance between your mid/lower back and pack so you don't get the sweaty lower back and get too hot.

I've bought newer packs, but they end up sitting in my closet because I love the one I've got too much!

Trial153

WKR
I have the scapegoat 35 and 25. Both are well made packs. I think the 35 might be alittle over kill for what your describing, while it isnt a meat hauler i can carry 50ish without any issues at all. The 25 is great dedicated day pack, it has decent capacity and options to lash additional gear. The 14r is great pack, has about the same capacity as the 35 but you can add panels and pouchs. Carries excellent and i can carrt up to about 50 as well. I wouldnt flinch at packing a deer out with either the 35 or the 14r in a pinch.

OP
N
I really want to like the scapegoat 25, but I don’t think there is a Good way to pack your bow or a set of climbing sticks on it is there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brownbear

FNG
if you’re a stream lined packer and don’t need the room for bulky clothes, you may want to check out the kifaru quandary. I have a badlands reactor that is surprisingly big at 900 cubes, but I don’t put a bladder in it and if I have bulkier gear, I can lash it using the bottom straps. The quandary would make a better all around pack in my opinion. The mr packs look very nice. I dig the scapegoat but already have a few that fill that niche.

OP
N
Guys, Im thinking that the Mystery Ranch ASAP would actually fit the bill quite well for me. Seems to be the right size, USA made and I think I can find a way to lash a bow or climbing sticks to it. Seems to be hard to find unless you go direct to MR though.... Any thoughts on this one?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depending if you want to customize it with pockets.. but the 14'r and the Tarryall are both really good options! I have the Tarryall and it will definitely be my treestand pack of choice.

OP
N
This is killing me. I’m down a rabbit hole!!
I’ve got it narrowed down to:

Mystery ranch 3DAP
Kifaru x-ray
Kifaru Antero

What you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk