Kuiu packs on sale when(?)

Daubsnu1

FNG
Looking to get a Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 or 3200. Wife got me a gift card for Christmas...

When do their packs go on sale?

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
They usually go on sale when they introduce some new design or feature to get rid of the old inventory. Not sure they are going on sale any time soon

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Make sure you read reviews. They make some nice clothing pieces but reviews on the comfort (under stout loads) and durability of their packs aren't reassuring. Some folks do like them who actually have used them heavily (versus those that like them but haven't put them into heavy action) but lots of legitimate complaints out there and not just brand bashing.

boom

WKR
Make sure you read reviews. They make some nice clothing pieces but reviews on the comfort (under stout loads) and durability of their packs aren't reassuring. Some folks do like them who actually have used them heavily (versus those that like them but haven't put them into heavy action) but lots of legitimate complaints out there and not just brand bashing.

there is some irony in there..i just know it.

anyways. i dont know squat about the packs. So i dont have my own opinion, so i dont have input.. but i know the company. i once went there to buy some clothing. i had my pile of stuff, and i simply asked if there was a sale going on..the lady (very cute lady) said.."hey i have a coupon code here!" clickity clack..i she discounted my entire pile. i think it never hurts to ask.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
there is some irony in there..i just know it.

? I tried to word that nicely just to do a little homework on their packs. There is a lot of drama around the brand and that isn't the reason for the post. I use multiple clothing pieces of theirs and would recommend said pieces of clothing (I have). But what I've read on their packs by numerous folks brings around the suggestion to new folks to do their homework first. The other main brands don't have quite the complaint list on their pack comfort/durability.

Between myself and my friends we have packed a lot of heavy loads with kuiu packs and never one failure or durability issue. My friend is on 15 elk packed with his and the only part of the pack that is wearing is on the bottom of the hip belt where the two side belts join the lumbar pad. He has packed many loads with half an elk plus Gear as have I over 5 or so miles. Now I don’t abuse packs and throw them around and I pay attention when it’s loaded heavy and don’t slam it on the ground as I think that would make any pack vulnerable to damage.

PM me and I’ll give you a code for a 15% off sale January 15-28.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Between myself and my friends we have packed a lot of heavy loads with kuiu packs and never one failure or durability issue. My friend is on 15 elk packed with his and the only part of the pack that is wearing is on the bottom of the hip belt where the two side belts join the lumbar pad. He has packed many loads with half an elk plus Gear as have I over 5 or so miles. Now I don’t abuse packs and throw them around and I pay attention when it’s loaded heavy and don’t slam it on the ground as I think that would make any pack vulnerable to damage.

PM me and I’ll give you a code for a 15% off sale January 15-28.

Have you used any of the other major brands and if so how do you compare comfort at loads over 80lb? If favorable great, I don't have a dog in the fight honestly. I've just seen more than a few folks that have owned them and tried other packs and moved on with comments about room for improvement (not just on rokslide) so I figured I'd just recommend reading some reviews before diving into an expensive purchase since the OP had a low post count and might be new to the scene. Really not trying to fan any flames here, never would have said anything if it wasn't for the statements I've seen from others repeatedly.

Have you used any of the other major brands and if so how do you compare comfort at loads over 80lb? If favorable great, I don't have a dog in the fight honestly. I've just seen more than a few folks that have owned them and tried other packs and moved on with comments about room for improvement (not just on rokslide) so I figured I'd just recommend reading some reviews before diving into an expensive purchase since the OP had a low post count and might be new to the scene. Really not trying to fan any flames here, never would have said anything if it wasn't for the statements I've seen from others repeatedly.

I switched to EXO the first year they were available and really liked it but the bags drove me nuts. Thought the second generation was going to be better and went to the bigger bag and still hated the bag and felt like I couldn’t fit anything in the pack. I had EXO packs for two years and hauled a few big loads which felt about the same to me as when I pack heavy with my kuiu packs. I switched back to kuiu and sold my EXO packs because the bag options suited me better and the frames were very comparable for comfort. I do like the extra compression straps on the EXO for securing items In the load shelf and actually rigged up something similar on my icon pro. I did notice I had to crank down on the EXO shoulder straps and load lifters a little more to try and help stabilize the load since there are no lower load stabilizer straps. I had the original icon game as well which had the compression strap for securing a load between the bag and frame. I’ve owned a stone Glacier Krux and bag and did not keep them after testing last spring because the frame can and will barrel when securing a load and more often than not I don’t have the option of securing a perfect shape load. Now I think this is mostly eliminated with the Xcurve frame which is next on my list to try.

I have not tried Kifaru and mystery ranch does not seem to fit me and their bag layouts don’t appeal to me.

IdahoElk

WKR
? I tried to word that nicely just to do a little homework on their packs. There is a lot of drama around the brand and that isn't the reason for the post. I use multiple clothing pieces of theirs and would recommend said pieces of clothing (I have). But what I've read on their packs by numerous folks brings around the suggestion to new folks to do their homework first. The other main brands don't have quite the complaint list on their pack comfort/durability.

Are you talking about their 1st generation or current line up?
My pack is 4yrs old and haven't had any issues but then I'm only packing out loads to 70lbs
Funny,I can't tell you how many Elk in 25yrs I packed out on my Cabela's Alaskan frame without even thinking twice until coming here and being told it was garbage, I purchased a Kuiu pack and love it,way better than the Alaskan that never bothered me in the first place and there is still people saying it's no good,you guys are funny!

IdahoElk

WKR

Honestly,what percentage of people are packing out over 80lb loads? While it's sounds impressive,have you ever taken a nose dive stepping over a log with over 80lbs on your back? I have numerous times and on top of being no fun it's also dangerous when your miles in.I opt to make more trips these days over extreme loads.Not everyone needs to haul a refrigerator around on their back to get the job done,to each his own and for you to say one brand is garbage when it's not to someone asking advice is wrong.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have tried all of their packs under normal use and heavy loads and never had a failure. Do failures happen, yes they do, but with every brand out there. The Kuiu pack is arguably one of the best at the price point. Do the packs that get into the $700 range perform better, depends on what you are looking for. At 80 pounds, none of the packs are "comfortable," but there are some that are more bearable than others.

I always tell people to get a pack that suits their needs for 90% of the time, the other 10% is going to suck anyway regardless of the pack.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Never got into it much, just suggested the person read up a bit before diving in. There were the early frame failures but even the newer versions seem to have more folks complaining than other brands. But sounds like you all are happy so great. :)

Some folks use strong words, I wouldn't say other packs are garbage but there's a comfort difference in how various frames handle heavy loads. 40lb is fine on almost any frame, load 80+ into one and you start finding some differences for a given body. I started using my old backpacking bag but the aluminum stays in that flexed uncomfortably with meat hauling loads even if the pack wasn't falling apart.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Honestly,what percentage of people are packing out over 80lb loads? While it's sounds impressive,have you ever taken a nose dive stepping over a log with over 80lbs on your back? I have numerous times and on top of being no fun it's also dangerous when your miles in.I opt to make more trips these days over extreme loads.Not everyone needs to haul a refrigerator around on their back to get the job done,to each his own and for you to say one brand is garbage when it's not to someone asking advice is wrong.

Anyone that hunts elk I'd expect to haul loads like that (and some guys go much heavier), an elk rear is often 60lb +/-, plus the weight of your pack itself and minor gear you're at 80lb. Bone it out and maybe 70lb unless you're breaking up a single rear into multiple trips (which means a lot of miles when far back). But even at 60-70lb you'll still feel a difference in frames designed for the task and not (general statement). Yes I've eaten shit with a load on, I had a 94lb pack on this season for deer (day gear, rifle, half the deer and the head) after a snow thaw/freeze on steep grades. I believe I feel 4-5times actually (usually backwards) on that icy crap. :)

Please don't put words in my mouth, I didn't claim anything was "garbage".

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
At 80 pounds, none of the packs are "comfortable," but there are some that are more bearable than others.

I disagree. 75lb was a weekly training hike weight for me last fall and I had that comfortably dialed in on my frame, no different feeling than 40lb in how the frame felt on me. Granted my legs noticed that load on ascents but that isn't a factor of how the frame fits. That same frame was slipping a bit at the above mentioned 94lb because I ran out of belt adjustment, in that case it became less comfortable and crossed into the bearable category.

OP....KUIU usually has some type of Closeout sale when the new gear is released. After that, Father's Day sale would be your best bet(although I don't think they had one last year). Everyone has their own preference on gear, that doesn't mean that X brand is garbage and Y brand is indestructible. At the end of the day, you could get the job done with a duffel bag if you really wanted to. Everything else is just a matter of how much you want to spend and how comfortable do you want to be. Will say that I started with a KUIU and sold if after using the Kifaru Duplex, just my preference. Good luck with your purchase!

Weekender

WKR
Looking to get a Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 or 3200. Wife got me a gift card for Christmas...

When do their packs go on sale?

Think it's always amusing when reading the question asked get's in the way of what some have to say. :D

Normally they have 25% off packs sale between now and summer BUT ?!?!?! things feel a little different now with the let down sale they had Pre-Black Friday which is normally 25-30% everything kuiu was a fail. There is a current 15% off being offered now-28th (BBSAVE17) I'd consider just using that. Feels like the sales are going to be less and less the more main stream they get.

Good luck and I preferred the 3200 over the 1850.

Weekender

WKR
For the record I read the question just fine and tried to politely suggest a new member read some reviews before a big purchase, no malice intended.

Don’t worry just busting some chops a little .

It’s a pretty solid pack for almost half the price. It’s not perfect but works extremely well for some people. The warranty is top notch if you purchased it direct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk