Help with kifaru

Looking at getting a kifaru just not sure which bag to get, AMR, Fulcrum or Crater. Need the bigger bag bc I am a bigger guy so clothes are bigger, just not sure how all the kifaru bags work. Any help is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy has the AMR...it rocks. Another buddy has the Fulcrum...I call him Raphael because he looks like he is wearing a turtle shell. Too wide and I feel like it would catch on everything. Then again he is usually carrying camera gear and tripods. No experience with the Crater.

GregB

WKR
I have an AMR and it's a great pack for long trips or as as day pack. Backpacked in for a ten day hunt it carried everything n problem. It also compresses down to use as a day pack. I also used it as a day pack for an 8 day hunt with my son and packet out a whole mule deer in one trip. My only suggestion would be to get a belt pouch and side pocket or two to make some gear more accessible while using as a day pack.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
All are gigantic and awesome bags. What are you looking to do with the pack? Days out, carrying lots of optics?, etc. I've had the AMR, I have the Fulcrum and am getting the Crater to review. I'll help you out however I can.

OP
H
I looking to use it for everything, also I’m a large human so my clothing is larger than most

I looking to use it for everything, also I’m a large human so my clothing is larger than most

Here here... I can never have enough room. My current pack which is a heavily customized Argali can easily be loaded out at over 18,000 cu in. and I have done it when taking my dad backpacking and carrying most of his stuff. I really like the Cavern, but am not sure how I like the side zip. I might just have to try it for a bit.

efnm

WKR
I'm in the same boat, so apologies for tagging along. I'm looking for a pack that can carry a tripod, bladder, snacks, jacket, and a 15x56s on a day hunt. Then I'd like it to be able to switch to meat hauling mode. Finally, I'd want it to be able to convert (with another bag, if needed) to a true 5-7 day backpacking pack.

To me, that looks like the Nomad plus accessories, but for the price of having the conversion add-ons, the Fulcrum might be just the do-all bag to start with.

What do you think?

lintond

WKR
I have an AMR for sale which is only for sale because I need the money. Otherwise I’d hang onto it. I like that I can load it up for 10 days or cinch it down for a day hunt. You can’t make a bag bigger in the field but you can always strap it down for day mode.

I'm in the same boat, so apologies for tagging along. I'm looking for a pack that can carry a tripod, bladder, snacks, jacket, and a 15x56s on a day hunt. Then I'd like it to be able to switch to meat hauling mode. Finally, I'd want it to be able to convert (with another bag, if needed) to a true 5-7 day backpacking pack.

To me, that looks like the Nomad plus accessories, but for the price of having the conversion add-ons, the Fulcrum might be just the do-all bag to start with.

What do you think?

I just got the Mountain Warrior and really like it. Compressed to a really nice day pack but it sure has a lot of room when expanded. A very good all around pack

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

What do you think?

I agree with your thinking on the nomad vs Fulcrum. That giant bag folds flat on the flulcrum and you can just run Gear in the wings plus a native or lid. (I have to have the extra room). So running it the same as the nomad but you also have that big bag always.. and the pals on the bottom for pockets. I’ve got vids of it up on the YouTube channel.

If your going to do 7 days I’d definitely stay with the big bag of either of those 3 packs. The Crater gets my vote over the AMR because of the spotter pocket and compression system for me. The fulcrum vs the other 2 is just different. When I get the Crater I’ll be comparing how I load them pretty quick for everyone.

I’m an AMR guy. Liked the EMRII (quasi-predecessor to the Fulcrum) and it was great but just too much going on for my taste. AMR and it’s 3 side straps makes it super easy to adjust from a simple day pack size (cinched down) to full on Goliath hauler in a few simple clicks. Or after you arrive at your destination in huge mode just a few pulls of the side straps and your super small for just day Gear. Damn near big enough to use it as a Bivy but not so overwhelming with wings and straps and such. Won’t be getting rid of mine anytime soon.

What do you think?
I'd take a serious look at the mountain warrior as well... One of the more versatile packs in the lineup IMO. Run with guide lid, side pockets, and belt pouches if you want a big bag. Clean I'd you want a sleek/smaller bag.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Luked

WKR
easier to compress the bag down vs. trying to stretch it to make it bigger
I had plans on going with a Woodsman. but after some thought im going with a reckoning and pockets

would rather have it to big than too small

I'd take a serious look at the mountain warrior as well... One of the more versatile packs in the lineup IMO. Run with guide lid, side pockets, and belt pouches if you want a big bag. Clean I'd you want a sleek/smaller bag.

The MW is a great bag, but too small for 5-7 days for a big guy, which the OP says he is. What folks don't realize is that bigger guys have bigger/heavier gear: clothes, jackets, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, shelters, etc. I need a minimum 7000 cu in bag for a weekend backcountry fishing trip without going minimalist.

geriggs

WKR
I have a reckoning and i love it. I am a 3xl in most things so it works fine for me. I can put everything i need in it and more. Now i hunt mostly archery so not a lot of heavy jackets but i will bring rain gear, extra shirts, underwear, socks, thermals, one puffy and maybe extra pant. I dont normally run a spotter where i hunt but also have sawtooth and pad (L/W) and bag...plus food, crap etc. I also run a a few belt pockets and lid. Could run grabit if needed too.

brownbear

FNG
Here here... I can never have enough room. My current pack which is a heavily customized Argali can easily be loaded out at over 18,000 cu in. and I have done it when taking my dad backpacking and carrying most of his stuff. I really like the Cavern, but am not sure how I like the side zip. I might just have to try it for a bit.

18k? Damn!! I’d like to see that.