Gun bearer for Stone Glacier?

TXCO

WKR
I have an original sky 7400 Stone Glacier pack and am looking for a forward carry gun sling/bearer. Can you attach the SG sling to forward carry? Does the kifaru gun bearer attach to the original SG belt? Are there any other options out there?

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hey the SG gun carrier does't go forward because the top point attaches to the top of the frame. That being said with a little practice it is very quick to get a gun out of it. Ran it all last year with zero problems. Well worth the investment

E Wa Hunter

You can run the Kifaru gun bearer on any SG pack/frame. I used mine on my Krux frame, then bought the XCurve last year and have been using it on that frame since.
0e7e584aeda63753a02d6b3c0fe48f7e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't remember for sure but I don't think it's the universal. I say this because I bought it about 6 years ago when I bought my first Kifaru pack, and I bought it for that pack.

I just went to the Kifaru website and looked at them and now I'm thinking that the one I have is the universal. I don't know why I would have bought a universal when at the time I was only planning on running it on a DT1 pack. Sorry, I don't know if it's the long or short.

OP
TXCO

TXCO

WKR
Thanks AK. With attaching it over belt reinforcement, youve had no with problems with it pulling on the belt strap?

You can run the Kifaru gun bearer on any SG pack/frame. I used mine on my Krux frame, then bought the XCurve last year and have been using it on that frame since.

In one of the pictures on the Kifaru website they show the cradle strap going around the whole belt, padding and all (I think it's the universal long strap), I don't have mine set up that way, I have the cradle strap going around the webbing on my pack belt, if that makes any sense. It is going around/through the same webbing/straps as what my hip belt pocket goes on. The only issue I have is that it's a little cramped with the hip belt pocket being right there as well, and the stock/action of my rifle rests against the pocket (you can kind of see that in the photo), but it seems to work alright.

Still hard for me to imagine hiking with that barrel in my face... Did it take some getting used to? Seems like alot of people love it.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

CM

WKR
I tried both and much prefer SG's gun strap system. I just could never get used to the barrel in my face.

Still hard for me to imagine hiking with that barrel in my face... Did it take some getting used to? Seems like alot of people love it.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

It’s pretty adjustable in that you can pull it up where it’s fairly close to your face, but off to the side, or let a bunch of scope out and it’s not so close to your face but it tends to swing quite a bit when you do that. I like it, it makes the rifle super easily accessible and where it really shines, IMO, is when you’re bushwhacking, especially if you’re having to get down low to get through thick brush like tag alder. If you’re above tree line than there’s probably not much, if any, benefit to the gun bearer over Stone Glacier’s sling.

JDZ

WKR
For those that run the Gun Bearer, how do you keep the rifle from flipping upside down since the weight of the scope and shape of the stock make it top heavy?

For those that run the Gun Bearer, how do you keep the rifle from flipping upside down since the weight of the scope and shape of the stock make it top heavy?

This can be a problem for sure. A lot of times I'll just twist the cradle in the opposite direct that it wants to flop over (twist it so it's wanting to untwist into my body), and that fixes it. There is probably a better solution for this, I just haven't found it yet.

There is a sweet spot in adjustment where i can keep it from flipping. Just takes a lot of trial and error to find it

msummer88

FNG
As of right now I use the Gun Bearer on my SG pack but I'm going to give the SG rifle sling a try for next season. I do like the Gun Bearer but I do have problems with my gun flipping upside down. I have to monkey around with it to get it to a spot where it won't do that, seems like its different every time. Also, I feel like the part that attaches to my packs belt puts more pressure on my hip? Maybe I have another problem but I'm not sure. My gun weighs about 12lbs and I think that extra weight is whats making me feel that pressure because its only when my gun is attached to my pack that I feel it. I like the way the SG rifle sling attaches to the frame so the weight of the gun is attached to that instead of your belt. I'll just have to start practicing my quick draw with it when I get it!

I think this depends on your rifle, but I have been meaning to talk to Aron about this. I usually end up just giving up and running it upside down. Not worth fighting it.