Reckoning... And the Crater/Cavern

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I have a G2 Longhunter and will be getting a new pack this spring.

Mainly 3-5 day trips where I hike in then set up camp. I will likely do a longer hunt every few years. Usually hunt from that camp, but will bivy out from there a night or two. I like the idea of a meat shelf, but am not married to it as the only way to get meat out. I plan to adjust to the situation as needed... For example if my pack is full of gear the meat shelf will be useful for a first trip out if I need it, but I might then drop my bag completely and use a lid & Grab It with the frame to get the rest of the meat out or I might then carry meat in the pack bag.

Here is my question(s):
I see concern about compression straps over the slot pockets on the Reckoning when packing a spotter or other valuable items in them. Has anyone actually had any issues with this? Real issues. The Crater & Cavern have the zippered side pocket and the compression straps go over the pocket too.

Also, does having those slot pockets stuffed with gear minimize the effectiveness of the the compression straps providing stabilization/ compression to the main bag when it counts...packing out a heavy load?

I have interest in the Reckoning, Crater, Cavern, and possibly the Fulcrum. My main concern with the Fulcrum (and thus my hesitation) is that it seems to expand outward first then up, which could be problematic when hunting with camp on my back in the thickness that is western Washington. I do realize that massive upward expansion could cause problems as well, but it is easier for me to mitigate that by lashing things to compression straps with the way that I organize my gear.

Thanks for any real wilderness experience!

Last edited:

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

Mainly 3-5 day trips where I hike in then set up camp. I will likely do a longer hunt every few years. Usually hunt from that camp, but will bivy out from there a night or two. I like the idea of a meat shelf, but am not married to it as the only way to get meat out. I plan to adjust to the situation as needed... For example if my pack is full of gear the meat shelf will be useful for a first trip out if I need it, but I might then drop my bag completely and use a lid & Grab It with the frame to get the rest of the meat out or I might then carry meat in the pack bag.

Here is my question(s):
I see concern about compression straps over the slot pockets on the Reckoning when packing a spotter or other valuable items in them. Has anyone actually had any issues with this? Real issues. The Crater & Cavern have the zippered side pocket and the compression straps go over the pocket too.

Also, does having those slot pockets stuffed with gear minimize the effectiveness of the the compression straps providing stabilization/ compression to the main bag when it counts...packing out a heavy load?

I have interest in the Reckoning, Crater, Cavern, and possibly the Fulcrum. My main concern with the Fulcrum (and thus my hesitation) is that it seems to expand outward first then up, which could be problematic when hunting with camp on my back in the thickness that is western Washington. I do realize that massive upward expansion could cause problems as well, but it is easier for me to mitigate that by lashing things to compression straps with the way that I organize my gear.

With the straps over the slotted pockets, I haven’t had any troubles with them crushing anything. Although a couple of times I pulled my spotter out and either put it between the bag top and the lid, or I strapped it to the back compression straps that don’t have to be cranked down. I didn’t experience any problems with the compression straps while the side pockets were full.. just cranked them down and they stayed solid.

I’ll have the Crater or Cavern to review here in another week or so and will be comparing setups to my Reckoning. On the Fulcrum I’ll also compare if I see some similarities to why one would work better over the other bit they’re just so different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member

Here is my question(s):

Question 1.
You want the compression strap over spotter pouch. The last thing you want is your 500-5,000 spotter flopping around for its safety as well as you want to keep all the weight sucked into your pack as close to centerline of your pack as possible.

Question 2
Kinda answered it in first question but no, it helps! You want your whole load cinched down. It doesn’t matter if you have a spotter in a side pouch or a puffy jacket, when you cinch it down, your load isn’t going anywhere.

I’ve been playing with the crater and cavern quite a bit these last couple days and they are going to find their way permanently in the gear room.

For your ideas on hauling meat, don’t over complicate things. Remember blood washes out. The lid and grab it theory is nice but you lack compression straps. I’ve packed animals out on a meat shelf, inside packs, over packs, you name it. I gotta say if you have room, inside is my preferred method. The meat shelf is good but guess what, blood always finds it’s way to my gear. If im trying to make one trip, I’ll stuff camp inside a big silnylon bag and it will go on top of meat. Food and other items that are easily washable go around the meat away from my back.

rbljack

WKR
Following this one as well. Ive had the same concerns about side pocket compression with a spotter in there. I did notice that kifaru came out with a new lid called the organizer lid. It really caught my eye and here is why. IF my razor 65 spotter would fit in that pocket on top, I could carry spotter normally in the side pocket of the pack. BUt when it comes time to haul meat, IF it will fit into that guide lid pocket, it seems to me like it would be out of harms way.

just a thought...and I cannot confirm if a spotter will fit in there or not.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member

Here is my question(s):

I like your choices in packs. I’ve used the Reckoning exactly as you described it the past two seasons (100+ days afield and lots of deboned critters).

You won’t have any trouble compressing the pack with your spotter in the side pocket. It designed to do just that.
I never saw any problem with cinching it down over the scopes with or with out the pack full of meat.

My preference hauling meat is in the bag. As much as I want to like the load shelf idea, it doesn’t ride as well on my back.

0ec19f2e1da3c0adce16a0d8775947b6.jpg

This is the Reckoning with an deboned buck, head and 5 days worth of food/gear. STX 65 is in the side pocket.

You said you typically hunt 3-5 days with an occasional longer trip? I’d say the Reckoning or Cavern would be appropriate size. Of course it depends on how much “stuff” you pack up the mountain. For me the Reckoning has plenty room for even a 7-10 day trip. The Cavern is similar in CI to the AMR and Fulcrum.

OP
D

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
For your ideas on hauling meat, don’t over complicate things. Remember blood washes out. The lid and grab it theory is nice but you lack compression straps. I’ve packed animals out on a meat shelf, inside packs, over packs, you name it. I gotta say if you have room, inside is my preferred method. The meat shelf is good but guess what, blood always finds it’s way to my gear. If im trying to make one trip, I’ll stuff camp inside a big silnylon bag and it will go on top of meat. Food and other items that are easily washable go around the meat away from my back.

Thanks for your reply! The info on the compression straps over the pockets is what I expected. I really appreciate it.

As far as meat hauling goes I am not worried about blood because , as you said, it washes out.

Again, thanks for the info!

OP
D

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Tony! I appreciate your help.

I like your choices in packs. I’ve used the Reckoning exactly as you described it the past two seasons (100+ days afield and lots of deboned critters).

You won’t have any trouble compressing the pack with your spotter in the side pocket. It designed to do just that.
I never saw any problem with cinching it down over the scopes with or with out the pack full of meat.

My preference hauling meat is in the bag. As much as I want to like the load shelf idea, it doesn’t ride as well on my back.

0ec19f2e1da3c0adce16a0d8775947b6.jpg

This is the Reckoning with an deboned buck, head and 5 days worth of food/gear. STX 65 is in the side pocket.

You said you typically hunt 3-5 days with an occasional longer trip? I’d say the Reckoning or Cavern would be appropriate size. Of course it depends on how much “stuff” you pack up the mountain. For me the Reckoning has plenty room for even a 7-10 day trip. The Cavern is similar in CI to the AMR and Fulcrum.

OP
D

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Jordan!

With the straps over the slotted pockets, I haven’t had any troubles with them crushing anything. Although a couple of times I pulled my spotter out and either put it between the bag top and the lid, or I strapped it to the back compression straps that don’t have to be cranked down. I didn’t experience any problems with the compression straps while the side pockets were full.. just cranked them down and they stayed solid.

I’ll have the Crater or Cavern to review here in another week or so and will be comparing setups to my Reckoning. On the Fulcrum I’ll also compare if I see some similarities to why one would work better over the other bit they’re just so different.