Stone Glacier R3 3300?

FNG
Hey all - quick question I can't see to find.. which frame the R3 comes with, KruX or XCruve?

Looking to purchase the R3 3300 pretty soon, does anyone have any experience with it?

Thank you

It should come with the R3 frame which is a variation of the krux frame.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

frankrb3

WKR
If you order it from their website you will get the Tan Krux Frame. When I bought my R3 I wanted the xcurve frame. I live in Bozeman so I was able to go to their retail store and shop around. They brought me in the back and set my pack up exactly the way I wanted right in front of me. I went with a Tan R3 on the Xcurve frame. I love the frame but wish I would have gotten the Sky 5900 instead of the R3. The R3 is good but the sky 5900 will suit me better in the long run. I'm probably going to sell my R3 bag and buy the 5900 sometime soon.

So if you're interested in getting the R3 on an xcurve or evo frame, call them when you're ready to purchase and have them take your order over the phone. It will just be a little more expensive since those frames cost more alone than the krux.

OP

FNG
Ahh, ok. That's kind of a bummer.. I was hoping to get the XCurve, guess I could buy it separately.

OP

FNG
If you order it from their website you will get the Tan Krux Frame. When I bought my R3 I wanted the xcurve frame. I live in Bozeman so I was able to go to their retail store and shop around. They brought me in the back and set my pack up exactly the way I wanted right in front of me. I went with a Tan R3 on the Xcurve frame. I love the frame but wish I would have gotten the Sky 5900 instead of the R3. The R3 is good but the sky 5900 will suit me better in the long run. I'm probably going to sell my R3 bag and buy the 5900 sometime soon.

So if you're interested in getting the R3 on an xcurve or evo frame, call them when you're ready to purchase and have them take your order over the phone. It will just be a little more expensive since those frames cost more alone than the krux.

So you noticed a pretty big difference between the two?

frankrb3

WKR
So you noticed a pretty big difference between the two?

I actually didn't look at the 5900 when I went in to buy the pack. I was already set on the tan R3. But after using it this fall I find the R3 to be bigger than I need for a day pack but too small for a multiple night pack. I just ordered a Kifaru 22 mag to use as my day pack and want to switch the R3 out for the 5900 for my multiple night pack.

I believe the R3 is plenty big enough for ultralight guys to use for multiple nights. I just bring too much crap whenever I'm planning on camping and a lot of my gear is still military surplus which = large and bulky.

Boreal

WKR
Ahh, ok. That's kind of a bummer.. I was hoping to get the XCurve, guess I could buy it separately.

On their website you can order the R3 bag only, and order the XCurve frame with it. Or the new KruxEvo for that matter. I’m going back and forth over frames and bags, wish I were in Bozeman to be able to check them each out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

frankrb3

WKR
On their website you can order the R3 bag only, and order the XCurve frame with it. Or the new KruxEvo for that matter. I’m going back and forth over frames and bags, wish I were in Bozeman to be able to check them each out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think you can go wrong with any of their frames. Just get the one that tailors to your style the most. If you're trying to go light as possible go with the evo, if you like a flat frame get the krux and if you like a curved frame go with the xcurve. I don't think any one frame is a generation above the other. They all just do the same thing (carry a stone glacier pack) a little differently. I might go in there in to their shop in the next couple days to get my hands on the evo just to compare it to the other frames in person. I am very happy with the xcurve and have no plans to upgrade it at all.

OP

FNG
I don't think you can go wrong with any of their frames. Just get the one that tailors to your style the most. If you're trying to go light as possible go with the evo, if you like a flat frame get the krux and if you like a curved frame go with the xcurve. I don't think any one frame is a generation above the other. They all just do the same thing (carry a stone glacier pack) a little differently. I might go in there in to their shop in the next couple days to get my hands on the evo just to compare it to the other frames in person. I am very happy with the xcurve and have no plans to upgrade it at all.

Yeah I think you're on to something here. The issue is I'm not sure which frame works better. It seems like the XCurve is the most comfortable (from everything I've read) but I have no way of corroborating that. Evo might be something to consider as well.. so many options! Thanks again

After checking out both frames in person, I see no reason to get the r3 frame. It looked to me like the r3 frame was a beefed up krux frame. And the new evo frame is an updated crux frame. I think the choice is between an xcurve if you want curved stays and an evo frame if you want straight stays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frankrb3

WKR
Yeah I think you're on to something here. The issue is I'm not sure which frame works better. It seems like the XCurve is the most comfortable (from everything I've read) but I have no way of corroborating that. Evo might be something to consider as well.. so many options! Thanks again

I cannot comment on the comfort of the Evo as I have not tried one on but I can say the xcurve is extrememly comfortable. I was lucky enough to kill a nice 6x6 bull this year and did three trips in about 24 hours to get all the meat, cape and antlers out of the backcountry. I believe a frame that is most comfortable will make a heavy load feel lighter than a lighter frame that doesn't carry a load as well. If that makes sense. Photo below is me packing out my elk with the Xcurve and Tan R3.

elk.jpg

OP

FNG
All good info guys, really appreciate it.

I’ll be looking at an evo or xcurve (probably the xcurve).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk