Thoughts on these packs...

aj wright

FNG
I am looking at getting into hunting the Midwest more specifically big game such as elk and mullies. I have been scouring the web for about 6 days looking at reviews and packs. I will prob at most be using whatever pack I get once maybe twice a year. I am leaning towards the Outdoorsman for reasons of 1. Cost $399 2. Lifetime warranty on frame. 3 versatility of taking off the bag and using the frame only and or being about to use just the fanny pack for quick half day or day missions. The other ones I have considered and like have been the KIIU 7200, Mystery Ranch Marshall, Badlands Summit, Kifaru Mountain Warrior... I get the concept you get what you pay for, but for what it will be used for I am not sure I like the thought of dumping $700 into a pack. So, those who have owned any of these packs. Would you give some feed back, the good, the bad, the ugly? Thanks!

Just get a used kifaru, exo, or stone glacier off the classifieds for even cheaper.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I agree with Zeroforhire. Buying a used Kifaru pack will save you money and still put you in the best pack made to date.

I’ve been down the road of buying numerous packs trying to get to the level Kifaru makes right out of the box. Wish I’d bought my Kifaru set up from the start and it would’ve saved me tons of time, money, and heart ache.

If your pricepont is around $300-400 I’d look at the Horn Hunter Full Curl System.

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion you can really get into a Kifaru for not a bad price if you don't stack up the accessories or absolutely buy used as the other guys have mentioned. If you just buy a new frame "sized" (Which I have worn other peoples that were still perfectly comfortable) for you and a used bag, you can make out pretty damn well! I even have a Tahr and Argali bag that I would be willing to part with that I no longer use due to my current Reckoning. But their excellent packs and definitely would not regret the few extra bucks new.

OP
A

aj wright

FNG
Nice, I am new to this site as being an actual member. Only a lurker thru google reviews. I will check out the classifieds

They explain it pretty good on their website. The frame sheet is twice as thick. They say that carries heavier weight more stable. I just checked their website again and it is no linger on sale. It was this morning.

I have a Badland Superday and a Badlands 2200. Their warranty and customer service is amazing. I used the Superday one year as a day pack on an elk hunt and it worked good for that. I bought the 2200 to use the next year. Its a little bigger and has a meat shelf i thoight i would use to get the first meat pack out and then come back with my pack frame. I carried it a lot walking to get ready for the next elk hunt but did not use it. I bought in to the Kifaru hype. The Kifaru is a really comfortable pack but is probably a little over kill for the hunting i do. I hunt out of a wall tent not backpack hunting. From what i have read if you want to haul alot of weight regularly the badlands pack might not be the one you want. I have a seperate pack frame to haul meat with.

Zbot

WKR
If you just have to buy new, go with the Horn Hunter or maybe one of the lesser Mystery Ranch packs.

Used, for that coin you can get into a used kifaru, MR, or exo and be set for life.

I am curious why fit has never been mentioned. I suspect that each pack is more suited for a certain individual's size. I understand that tall guys do not fit the Outdoorsman well. The Kifaru is really versatile and you will be able to get the correct size frame/belt/straps. Maybe people can comment on how they fit, which to me is the most important feature of a pack. To be fair, I have not tried the other packs in the list, so am hoping that people can state how big/tall they are and whether they liked the fit of each of the other packs listed.

I am 6’ 245 lb. both the Superday and 2200 fit me good. Of course my Kifaru fits great. It is custom fit when you order it. In my experience the Kifaru ist the most comfortable pack i have owned, but it is also the most expensive. Im from Michigan so this backpack stuff was new to me. I had a lot to learn when i first went out west. The first pack I bought cos $70 at the army surplus and I thought that was en expensive pack. I would have never even sonsidered a pack as expensive as a Kifaru. I worked my way up to that and I wouldnt do it any other way. I had to make sure i was going to want to keep chasing elk up and down mountains before committing that much money.

it doesnt sound like you are in the west, but if you are try to make it to one of the tradeshows so you can try on the different packs. they are a lot like boots what works for you may be completely different from someone else. or if you cant make it to the shows pick 2 (or 3) companies whose packs look good to you, order, try on, and then return the one that you dont like. ya you pay a little bit more in shipping but you wont know whats best for you until you try them on.

I have owned and used the outdoorsmans, Kifaru, and stone glacier. Also some of the ones like badlands, everlestock. The outdoorsmans is not a bad pack but with the lack of load lifters, not a great waist belt it is not comfortable under a load of greater than roughly 35 lbs. I found I couldn’t get comfortable and couldn’t adjust it the way i thought it should. The Kifaru was awesome. Handled weight like a dream. Stone glaceir is lightweight, built like a tank, handles weight good. Not as good as Kifaru but I don’t like carrying 125+ lbs anymore. The Kifaru will handle more weight, more conformably, the stone glacier will handle the weight but may not be as comfortable. Packs are very hard to give recommendations as your body is built differently. This is just my experience.

That sounds right I listen to Gritty Bowman podcast a lot and Aron Snyder from Kifaru said all packs are good for 60 lbs and less where Kifaru and others separate themselves is over 60 lbs. The only time I can think of when I would pack more than 60 lbs is the first load and that one I can just buck up. After that I'm getting my pack frame. That works for my style of hunting from a wall tent. Those that backpack hunt dont want to carry a backpack and a pack frame. I agree it would be real nice to be able to try them on. You are right that is not really an option in the east, at least not in Michigan.

OP
A

aj wright

FNG
Yeah, this will be my first Western hunt. I am currently sporting the Badlands Sacrifice which has been perfect. Who knows, I might just save the money this year and stuck with it. It’s hard leaving due to their warranty. Lots to consider.

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
I agree with Zeroforhire. Buying a used Kifaru pack will save you money and still put you in the best pack made to date.

I’ve been down the road of buying numerous packs trying to get to the level Kifaru makes right out of the box. Wish I’d bought my Kifaru set up from the start and it would’ve saved me tons of time, money, and heart ache.

If your pricepont is around $300-400 I’d look at the Horn Hunter Full Curl System.

full agreement, that's been my experience too. But purchased my Kifaru new
Love my Reckoning pack.