Thoughts on these packs...

Mosby

WKR
I have both an Outdoorsman and a Stone Glacier. I have used both to carry out elk and for day to day hunting, I prefer the Stone Glacier by a great deal but the Outdoorsman worked just fine for me. I also had a Elberstock Team Elk pack that I gave to a friend. Used it to pack out an elk and it was horrible. Pack is well made, just didn't work for me.

I only use the Stone Glacier for hunting but I kept the Outdoorsman and use it for my overnight scouting trips. It is a much bigger bag than my Stone Glacier and it works great for that purpose. Like you I bought the Outdoorsman based upon price and for the price paid, it isn't a bad pack.
I will get my money out of it. If I could do it over, I would have bought the Stone Glacier and been done with it. I have never had a Kifaru or an Exo but I would look at both. People that know what they are doing like them. You save money in the long run by buying the right pack the first time. I am making sure my son doesn't make the same mistake.

cody6510

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, this will be my first Western hunt. I am currently sporting the Badlands Sacrifice which has been perfect. Who knows, I might just save the money this year and stuck with it. It’s hard leaving due to their warranty. Lots to consider.

I agree a good warranty is something to consider but it doesn't mean anything on the mountain.

I had a buddy grab his badlands 4500cu/in pack out of my truck at the start of a 7 day hunt and rip the grab handle off of it. The pack was brand new, never used. Of course he can get it replaced but if something breaks in the middle of a hunt it doesn't matter that the company will replace it.

Not to mention when it came time to put meat in it, the pack didn't a pretty crappy job at handling the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

aj wright

FNG
I am curious why fit has never been mentioned. I suspect that each pack is more suited for a certain individual's size. I understand that tall guys do not fit the Outdoorsman well. The Kifaru is really versatile and you will be able to get the correct size frame/belt/straps. Maybe people can comment on how they fit, which to me is the most important feature of a pack. To be fair, I have not tried the other packs in the list, so am hoping that people can state how big/tall they are and whether they liked the fit of each of the other packs listed.

I would agree with this. It seems and all of the reading I have done that no matter what brand or pack you have one person can rave about it and the other person thinks it’s the worst thing on the market. And yes I have seen reviews of such a nature even with the top brands.

OP
A

aj wright

FNG
I agree a good warranty is something to consider but it doesn't mean anything on the mountain.

I had a buddy grab his badlands 4500cu/in pack out of my truck at the start of a 7 day hunt and rip the grab handle off of it. The pack was brand new, never used. Of course he can get it replaced but if something breaks in the middle of a hunt it doesn't matter that the company will replace it.

Not to mention when it came time to put meat in it, the pack didn't a pretty crappy job at handling the weight.

I see that and it definitely makes sense, but I am still reluctant to lay down $700 on a backpack or a company that cannot warrantee them as unconditional lifetime warranties. Not saying I won’t, but in going through classifieds and searching for used backpacks I was surprised to see 3 or 4 Kifaru Facts that have rips in them and or someone tried to patch them. Same with all the other top packs... so at the end of the day and UNCONDITIONAL Lifetime warranty speaks and is worth something.

OP
A

aj wright

FNG
it doesnt sound like you are in the west, but if you are try to make it to one of the tradeshows so you can try on the different packs. they are a lot like boots what works for you may be completely different from someone else. or if you cant make it to the shows pick 2 (or 3) companies whose packs look good to you, order, try on, and then return the one that you dont like. ya you pay a little bit more in shipping but you wont know whats best for you until you try them on.

Great idea and true.

OP
A

aj wright

FNG
I have both an Outdoorsman and a Stone Glacier. I have used both to carry out elk and for day to day hunting, I prefer the Stone Glacier by a great deal but the Outdoorsman worked just fine for me. I also had a Elberstock Team Elk pack that I gave to a friend. Used it to pack out an elk and it was horrible. Pack is well made, just didn't work for me.

I only use the Stone Glacier for hunting but I kept the Outdoorsman and use it for my overnight scouting trips. It is a much bigger bag than my Stone Glacier and it works great for that purpose. Like you I bought the Outdoorsman based upon price and for the price paid, it isn't a bad pack.
I will get my money out of it. If I could do it over, I would have bought the Stone Glacier and been done with it. I have never had a Kifaru or an Exo but I would look at both. People that know what they are doing like them. You save money in the long run by buying the right pack the first time. I am making sure my son doesn't make the same mistake.

Well.... sounds like you want to give a good deal on the Outdoorsman 😁

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
I’m also from Michigan and after reading on this forum I have learned (also from my other hobbies) to buy once and cry once. My wife complains about how I obsess over a purchase before I pull the trigger. I can dri
ve down the road to Jays and check out a few different western packs but not the ones I’m really interested. So in March I will be ordering an exo 3500 and if I don’t like it I know I could sell it and not get hurt too bad.

I don’t buy into the thought that I will only use it a couple of weeks out of the year. Yes only a couple weeks hunting out west but it will be used a couple times a week over the summer training and hiking back to some fishing spots. I can carry it for whitetail season. Local backpacking trips. I fully intend on it being my do everything pack so that when I go hunting out west in the fall it will have some mileage on it and I will know exactly what to expect.

Some people think that 600 to 800 for a pack is crazy others see no problem with it. Each person has their own interest and spends money on what they like. You can try and spread the money out across different activities or you can go all in. I don’t like to do anything half way.

I am far from wealthy and have a family but I sacrifice other things for myself to get what I want. Skip out on expensive coffee, don’t smoke, rarely drink (only to save money because I love good beer) just so I can enjoy the experiences that I want.

End rant by what you want.

I’m also from Michigan and after reading on this forum I have learned (also from my other hobbies) to buy once and cry once. My wife complains about how I obsess over a purchase before I pull the trigger. I can dri
ve down the road to Jays and check out a few different western packs but not the ones I’m really interested. So in March I will be ordering an exo 3500 and if I don’t like it I know I could sell it and not get hurt too bad.

I don’t buy into the thought that I will only use it a couple of weeks out of the year. Yes only a couple weeks hunting out west but it will be used a couple times a week over the summer training and hiking back to some fishing spots. I can carry it for whitetail season. Local backpacking trips. I fully intend on it being my do everything pack so that when I go hunting out west in the fall it will have some mileage on it and I will know exactly what to expect.

Some people think that 600 to 800 for a pack is crazy others see no problem with it. Each person has their own interest and spends money on what they like. You can try and spread the money out across different activities or you can go all in. I don’t like to do anything half way.

I am far from wealthy and have a family but I sacrifice other things for myself to get what I want. Skip out on expensive coffee, don’t smoke, rarely drink (only to save money because I love good beer) just so I can enjoy the experiences that I want.

Im in michigan if you want to try the fit of my Kifaru. I have not tried an exo but do love my Kifaru.

I dont know about the other pack companies but it has certainly not been cry once for me. I have been crying ever since i bought my kifaru. I love the pack but i am a bit of a gear junkie. I want to buy pockets pullouts and everything else they sell. All nice stuff and nice to be able to customize a pack but all expensive too.

Also in Michigan although the far sw corner but I have a 26” kifaru you are more then welcome to trying on and my dad just picked up an exo 3500

Also in Michigan although the far sw corner but I have a 26” kifaru you are more then welcome to trying on and my dad just picked up an exo 3500

Have you tried his exo. How does it compare to your kifaru? Im not in the market but you never know.

I have not tried it on yet I did strap 60 pounds of sand to it this morning while I was waiting for him I really liked how light it was and how it held the load if I get some time I’ll throw it on in the next few days and get back to you

Wapiti1

WKR
All the above mentioned are good packs. Make sure it fits you and you are comfortable hauling weight with it. I've gone through a few packs finding ones that fit the best. Kifaru just didn't. MR fits me well. Stone Glacier, I need more time in. EXO fit OK, need more time. Seek Outside is the best so far and what I took to Alaska.

Fit is important. When you get a pack, adjust it with about 30-40 pounds in it. A bag of softener salt is perfect for this. Then hike with that load and see how it feels. Some packs just never feel right. Put two bags of salt in it and see how it does. If you are good at 80 pounds, you have a winner.

Warranty wise, all of the top makes warranty their packs very well.

The other thing is what do you need this pack for? Day hunts, or backcountry hunts? Your Sacrifice isn't a bad pack. For day hunts, it and a frame pack for meat hauling would be a good combo.

Just a few random thoughts on a Saturday night.

Jeremy

Got a chance to use the exo today with 60 pounds in it for just under a mile checking for tracks in the new snow.. I can’t say if I like it more than my kifaru with just a short trip but it did have a few things I really liked about the pack I honestly think my kifaru hauls weight a bit better but that exo is pretty comfy with a light load and not bad by any means with weight in it