Barney’s vs Kifaru

brooketrt

Lil-Rokslider
Might be opening a can of worms here but I’m going on a moose hunt next year. Trying to decide which pack I should go with. Between a Kifaru pack or Barney’s and looking for some input. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
My opinion based on using both packs, back to back on trips with loads north of 70 lbs, Kifaru all the way. So much so that I sold my Barney's this fall.

Used my Kifaru on successful sheep, buffalo, and a wolf hunts this year and I didn't bruise or bleed from my pack at all. The same cannot be said for previous years packing out animals with my Barney's.

In the past, I would have saved the Barney's frame for hauling moose quarters. Since Kifaru came out with their cargo net, I couldn't justify keeping the freighter.

If you're held up on wanting a external frame freighter, Barney's is the best, no comparison.

XkZmrso.jpg

ANZPhBI.jpg

NrAyEtF.jpg

A little Barney's love too.

kcIHyS0.jpg

Last edited:
OP
brooketrt

brooketrt

Lil-Rokslider
What Kifaru would you recommend?

OP
brooketrt

brooketrt

Lil-Rokslider
And those pics are awesome!thanks for sharing

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve used three different Kifaru bags, a Fulcrum, an EMR and a Mountain Rambler. So far the Fulcrum is my favorite, that pack will haul everything you want it to, which is a double edged sword for sure. I hauled buffalo quarters inside it using a trash bag for a liner and I was really happy with how it carried after sucking down the compression straps.

My opinion based on using both packs, back to back on trips with loads north of 70 lbs, Kifaru all the way. So much so that I sold my Barney's this fall.

Used my Kifaru on successful sheep, buffalo, and a wolf hunts this year and I didn't bruise or bleed from my pack at all. The same cannot be said for previous years packing out animals with my Barney's.

In the past, I would have saved the Barney's frame for hauling moose quarters. Since Kifaru came out with their cargo net, I couldn't justify keeping the freighter.

If you're held up on wanting a external frame freighter, Barney's is the best, no comparison.

XkZmrso.jpg

ANZPhBI.jpg

NrAyEtF.jpg

A little Barney's love too.

kcIHyS0.jpg

OK, if no one else is going to, I've got to ask - why are you packing out the whole wolf! Sorry if its a dumb question. Awesome pics by the way....

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, if no one else is going to, I've got to ask - why are you packing out the whole wolf! Sorry if its a dumb question. Awesome pics by the way....

Not sure it was the smartest move on my part but it was below zero, windy and Thanksgiving Day. I had to get home for turkey dinner too :D

One of the biggest reasons is that I have been trying to kill a wolf for years and I really wanted to do a good job on the hide. It's way easier to tube skin when they're hanging in my shop.

This is a pretty loaded question and the answer is a very strong 'it depends'. That's the nice part about Kifaru. You may prefer to start with an out of the box pack like the reckoning, woodsman or fulcram that doesn't have a ton of cusomization options, but as you get more comfortable or if you have a military background you may prefer something like an AMR, Argali, Mountain Warrior, etc. that have more PALS and therefore more customizable depending on loadout. The best answer is to give them a call. There is a new lightweight frame coming out that you may consider waiting for depending on how often you plan on hauling heavy loads.

Just give them a call and they will walk you through some options and suggestions based on how you plan on using the pack. If you want to save some $ wait for the new frame to come out and the classifieds will be flooded with year-old hunting frames. It's already started ramping up, but it's hard to tell if that's just typical offseason good idea fairy stuff.

BRWNBR

WKR
I pretty much only have Barney’s experience,
I think I have five of them. I’m under one anywhere from 100-180 days a year. Loaded them
Over 200lbs on a couple occasions. I’ve never blistered bled or bruised. Other than sometimes right on the top of my shoulders gets bloodshot from a big trip. A Barney’s pack really shines for me once I get upwards of 50lb in it. The simplicity is staggering compared
To the rats nests of straps and buckles I see on clients packs these days. I don’t have the coin to play around with other packs and see if someone has something better or not. But I’ve also
Never seen a 10’ brown bear fit inside any other bag either. I don’t like stuff strapped on the outside of my pack. When I’m
Packed heavy I want all my weight as close to my core as possible to prevent injury.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still get the blood vessel lines / bloodshot lines with my Kifaru after really heavy loads under the shoulder straps. For me on the Barney's, the waist belt never felt like it did anything to pull weight off of my shoulders so I hiked with it undone quite a bit just because it felt more comfortable that way. The webbing right near the middle of my back would stretch enough that when I was hiking hunched over with a big load it would allow one of the aluminum bars on the back of the pack to rub my spine. Nothing crazy uncomfortable but after a day of that, it would bruise up and eventually blister/bleed.

My brother in law is built like a marathon runner (and is one for that matter), the hip belt slips enough on him that his hips will start bleeding after a few hours of heavy pack hiking. He uses some fancy tape (not leukotape) that they use in the hospital to cover the skin before we take off. It helps a lot but there's no reason a person should have to do that. He let me be the guinea pig this year with my Kifaru, long story short, he's buying a Kifaru now.

I really believe it depends on your body type and your intended use for which pack is best. Just like boots, you need to try them on. I honestly hated my Kifaru until I pulled the stays out and bent them to my liking, now I love it.

[sarcasm font] BRWNBR is a guide, they're notoriously hard headed and resistant to change ;) [sarcasm font]

Barney's are the #1 pack used by guides up here, it's not even close. They're the 1-ton dually of the pack world, if it fits it ships. Rides like a brick turd though hahaha.

BRWNBR

WKR
I was checking out kifaru’s page and their cavern pack looks like I’d give that a try. But I can’t bring myself to pay for one when I’ve got gear that works. Oddly in the last 20 years of guiding I’ve only had one client with a kifaru pack.

SLD's pic of the bison on his pack is freaking awesome! I didn't know you had a bison tag this past year, nice work!

Kifaru for me over a Barneys, though I've been debating picking up a barneys frame JUST to haul in bear bait so that I don't ruin my Kifaru frame with all the grease and other shit that seems to leak all over... I think it would make a great "beater" pack and do well at it.

I'll be taking my Kifaru frame on our moose hunt this next year, it'll be perfect for day hunting out of as well as for packing out meat once we shoot a few bulls. I don't think I'd enjoy day hunting out of a Barneys, at all... Too big of a frame and to cumbersome.

BRWNBR

WKR
Nick I’ve seen guys ratchet strap a barrel on their Barney frame to do kinda what your thinking. That would probably work great! The Barney is a cumbersome set up for day hikes, I’ve just gotten so used to it that I haven’t spent the money to try something else.
When I shot my goat I had to drop my pack with my bow strapped to it off a small ledge to get To my goat. Secretly hoped I’d break stuff so I could justify getting something new. But no. Bow and pack were both just fine. Dang it.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jake if you’re ever bored and want to give it a shot, you’re welcome to try my Kifaru for a week or two this summer.

Nick, my brother in laws tag. He scheduled the entire trip around me being there to help pack that pig out. He’s smarter than I am apparently 😂

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I like my 28" tactical frame, not the lightest option (I have a SG for that) but it handles Mose quarters with ease. Im not getting rid of my barleys pack, I like being old school sometimes but my Kifaru 28" tac frame with the reckoning bag is a really awesome combo for haling heavy loads. With a few medium pockets and an empty hydration bladder, Im right around 8lbs empty. My only complaint is that I wish I didn't get the grey color.

BRWNBR

WKR
Jake if you’re ever bored and want to give it a shot, you’re welcome to try my Kifaru for a week or two this summer.

Nick, my brother in laws tag. He scheduled the entire trip around me being there to help pack that pig out. He’s smarter than I am apparently 😂

I appreciate that man! But last time I borrowed someone’s gear a Deer trashed it and ran off with it. Had to replace it anyway. Lol