New Sitka pack. Are they legit contenders?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's listed in the catalog for $595. Pretty steep if the frame folds up with any weight like their older packs did.
Its a whole new pack venture for Sitka. The frame is pretty robust. It is made out of aircraft grade aluminum with welded cross members for stiffness. The frame is then tempered and anodized. Then they do something to the bottom section of the frame and insert a fiber glass rod of some sort. Whole goal is to provide flexibility and stability around the waist line area.

I think it is a legit pack, with some pretty cool Sitka twists to the layout and how it all comes together. Only concern I have is that I prefer an external load shelf to an internal load shelf. But, hard to comment on that until I have one in hand and give it a shot.

It did for me because when i miss i have a bad habit of throwing shit. haha

You know, actually I have seen this before, exactly with a climbing pack. There was a guy coming down the mountain and his knees were killing him, so he just threw his pack down the mountain periodically. It was a strange sight for me as I was climbing, seeing the large red pack sailing threw the air. Then later seeing this cursing fat guy ambling down the trail. Surreal.

ljalberta

WKR
You know, actually I have seen this before, exactly with a climbing pack. There was a guy coming down the mountain and his knees were killing him, so he just threw his pack down the mountain periodically. It was a strange sight for me as I was climbing, seeing the large red pack sailing threw the air. Then later seeing this cursing fat guy ambling down the trail. Surreal.

Ran into a fellow last year who had hucked his bag climbing down Mt Robson in BC. Unfortunately it got stuck in a crevasse. He was on his way back up with another set of climbing gear to attempt to go retrieve it. Quite the entertaining situation.

wesfromky

WKR
I accidentally cliff tested my climbing pack while descending from Castelton tower - almost back to the saddle and was lowering it from one ledge to another, it fell off the ledge, and went end over end down the slope. Luckily, it went down the decent trail side of the saddle, so just picked it up a few switchbacks down. If it would have went the other way, would have sucked for sure.

Mt Al

WKR
Want. More. Info.!

Love their clothes, their old packs are crap IMHO. Just glad they're getting serious about gear other than clothes.

HeadnWest

WKR
Want. More. Info.!

Love their clothes, their old packs are crap IMHO. Just glad they're getting serious about gear other than clothes.

I would agree with your first statement. My biggest wonder is why they stayed in the pack game? There are many other quality pack companies out there that will be hard to compete with. The new packs will most likely be quality, but will they be in the same ball park as Exo, SG, MR and Kifaru? Especially with a price tag equal of most of those packs. Maybe they count on their good following of their other gear to sell their packs as well. I guess Sitka is not hurting for cash and can't afford a try out a new thing.

Trial153

WKR
I would agree with your first statement. My biggest wonder is why they stayed in the pack game? There are many other quality pack companies out there that will be hard to compete with. The new packs will most likely be quality, but will they be in the same ball park as Exo, SG, MR and Kifaru? Especially with a price tag equal of most of those packs. Maybe they count on their good following of their other gear to sell their packs as well. I guess Sitka is not hurting for cash and can't afford a try out a new thing.
how many packs has Kuiu sold for this exzact reason. Someone knows the clothing, it looks trendy ...so hey the pack cant be that bad either.
Then once they owe it its the best pack ever by virtue of thier purchase.

Shrek

WKR
The reason is simple. They’re competing with Kuiu who has a pack and can therefore camo coordinate for their customers. A lot of people really want to have complete fashion camo gear. I seriously doubt that Sitka cares if they ever make a dime on the packs as long as they gain and keep the camo fashion shoppers.

The reason is simple. They’re competing with Kuiu who has a pack and can therefore camo coordinate for their customers. A lot of people really want to have complete fashion camo gear. I seriously doubt that Sitka cares if they ever make a dime on the packs as long as they gain and keep the camo fashion shoppers.

If that was the case gore wouldn't license out their camo. but they do. mystery ranch being the prime example in packs.
In the limited interactions ive had with John, he doesn't seem to be the type to put something out with his design name on it that he doesn't believe in just so people can match.

what does surprise me is Stone glacier doesn't offer their camo patterns. a ton of the sitka guys run them and if im not mistaken a guy heavily involved with sitka just bought into SG.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Don’t forget that the majority of packs work just fine for the majority of people not everyone is a nutty as us. probably 90% of the packs that Sitka sold are out there working just fine for someone.

If this pack is a step up in their pack game with the same quality and functionality as their clothing then it may very be a great offering. In my mind if any company has earned support from me in so far how they have steeped up and supported hunting an conservation it’s Sitka.

The only thing this pack looks to have going for it is the fanboy appeal. So, like Kuiu, they'll sell a metric ton of them. And a metric ton will show up on the classifieds for cheap. I'm seeing no features that Exo, Kifaru and SG don't. On the other hand, all of those packs have several design features that this pack lacks.

Etexag

FNG
I am in the market for a new pack. I am a fanboy and am interested in the Sitka Meathauler. I am also looking at the obvious Kifaru, Stone Glacier and Mystery Ranch.

I was in Kifaru last week to buy a Sawtooth Shelter and tried on their packs. Very Robust and obviously build to handle anything.
Tried on a Stone Glacier. I really liked the weight and fit.
I have not seen a Mystery Ranch in person, so I can't be of judge to that.

At under $600 the Sitka is appealing. Should I spend the extra money on the above packs, or wait on the Sitka?

Last edited:

HeadnWest

WKR
I am in the market for a new pack. I am a fanboy and am interested in the Sitka Meathauler. I am also looking at the obvious Kifaru, Stone Glacier and Mystery Ranch.

I was in Kifaru last week to buy a Sawtooth Shelter and tried on their packs. Very Robust and obviously build to handle anything. However $$$$.
Tried on a Stone Glacier. I really liked the weight and fit.
I have not seen a Mystery Ranch in person, so I can't be of judge to that.

At under $600 the Sitka is appealing. Should I spend the extra money on the above packs, or wait on the Sitka?

Maybe check out EXO as well.

Mt Al

WKR

My guess as far as selling packs is to move gore fabric and camo patterns for those who "must match" (just threw up in my mouth a little). They're not hurting for cash, they're W.L. Gore. I had one of their bivvy sized packs years ago. The squeaking metal hoop frame didn't help much, nor did the fact that there just wasn't anything special about it - at all. Not light, not a load hauler, the "space" between the mesh against your back and the pack did allow air circulation for the few days it was warm while hunting in the fall....

Just glad they're taking it seriously and hope they come out with something that doesn't suck and helps push them and their competition forward.

I'm glad Stone Glacier's are solid, plus MR and others offer solid. I personally don't get needing a camo backpack but to each their own.