Kuiu Icon Pro advice

golfbum

WKR
I’m going to purchase an icon pro setup, question is to go with 1850-5200 combo or just the 3200?

Most of my hunts are day hunts back to a truck camp but I do want to start more backcountry hunts and I do all day sits on a late season archery hunt around 9k feet so I need to haul a ton of clothes to stay warm all day while sitting.

Any advice on these Kuiu packs is welcome, I’m not interested in a Kifaru or exo at this time.

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Icon Pro 3200 and love it. It's great as a day pack. If you're planning on backpacking with it, Kuiu sells pack accessory pouches which clip on to the top and sides and add quite a bit of storage. I'd have no problem doing a 3-nighter. Not sure about more, depends on how light you pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
I started off with 1850 and 5200 bags, but then moved to 3200 and 5200. I found the 1850 to be a good bag for morning and evening hunts (i.e., come back to camp in the day), but not as ideal as an all day bag (for me). I find the 3200 to be less hassle to fit a day’s worth of food, water, and clothes into. My approach was it’s better to have space and not need it then need it and not have it.

I should note that I’m not the most ultralight/minimalist packer at all and I probably carry more water with me than most. I’m still surprised at how long people can stay out there with the packs they use.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also think the 3200 and 5200 is a better combo. The 1850 is pretty small. You could also do the 1850 and 5200 combo if you were to use a dry bag for your clothes and then put them in between the 1850 bag and the frame in the meat shelf area.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
Sounds like I would be better off with the 3200, and think about adding a bigger bag later.

ThAnks for the heads up!

kickemall

WKR
I would save some money and only get the 5200. Those bags compress down extremely well for day hunts. You can leave the lid behind, still have plenty of room for everything yet be a little lighter and smaller. Theres also enough outside pockets on the 5200 to keep lots of clothes handy. Honestly, the 5200 alone sounds perfect for what you described. Icon Pro packs are solid. I don't know if your looking at used but try to stay with the newest model as they have a few improvements that are nice.

I just ordered the 1850 full kit from the outlet for just under $300, so you’re basically getting the bag for free if you were to buy the frame and suspension plus another bag. I plan to mostly do day hunts, so the smaller pack with the ability to haul meat is appealing to me.

It may prove impossible, but I’m going to see if I can make the 1850 with the XXL dry bag on the meat shelf work for a 5 day elk backpack hunt. I hate carrying a bunch of stuff, and I’ve been working for years at getting my gear as light and compact as possible without spending a fortune or making huge comfort sacrifices. My cook kit weighs 4.5 oz (without fuel), my hydration and water treatment system weighs 5.5oz (without water), and the only extra clothes I plan to carry are a down vest, rain jacket, gloves, beanie, neck gaiter, and socks.

My goal is to have a 40 lb pack weight including food and water, then be down to under 25 lbs ready to hunt. Hopefully I can fit all of my camping equipment and food into the dry bag, so I can just pull it out at camp.

The biggest issue I’m struggling with is whether my 1lb down sleeping bag will be sufficient or whether I’ll need to take my 3.5 lb sythentic bag. If I have to use that I likely won’t make the 40 lb weight goal and I will be strapping it to the top or bottom of my pack. I’ve been looking for a sub 2 lb 20 degree bag that isn’t $500, but haven’t had much luck yet.

I’ll probably also pick up the 5200 bag for trips with colder weather or that require more gear. I can see the 3200 pack being ideal as a day pack for guys with more gear, or a quick 1-2 night trip without any creature comforts, but I don’t see it working great for my needs.

Nuke Man

WKR
I just ordered a 5200 full kit and the 1850 from the outlet. Plan on packing in with the 5200 and then swapping to the 1850 when camp is all setup. Got the 1850 for like $104 in the outlet right now.

I have the 1850 bag and 5200. I just leave the 5200 on all the time now. The small one stays in storage. The big bag packs down small and I love having the extra space. I wouldn't take two bags. Just use the big one, take your gear out and cinch it down. I found the 1850 was REALLY small. Used it for a season then got lucky and picked up the 5200 bag from the outlet. Honestly the small weight penalty is not worth it to me. I'd just as soon have the extra space if I need it.

I like being able to keep EVERYTHING inside the bag though. I have 6 man tipi, pole/stakes, extra clothing, bag, and pad, along with food for 3 days(could have fit more). I could have put the stove in as well but made my hunting partner carry it.

Deertick

FNG
I guess I'm a little different ... I have the 5200 and the 1850 and the large one stays in the closet. The 1850 is perfect for day hunting, scouting trips, etc. I don't have any desire to strap everything on the 5200 into a neat, tidy, bound-up mess. Now, if I were going somewhere for a week or so, the 5200 would get the nod.