Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28

I owned a NICE frame Metcalf and thought it was the most comfortable hauler and frame I've ever owned. When the Guide Lite frame came out I bought it in a Pintler configuration. One of the major differences in those two frames (NICE vs GL) was the hip belt which had been reduced in size and thickness. After packing out a lot of meat with the Pintler/GL I can say the redesigned hip belt worked 100% as well in major load conditions for me. The excellent images above show the further reduced hip belt of the Pop-Up frame. I wonder what this belt would feel like with 80 pounds of meat in rough terrain. Just idle thoughts....

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
I’m seriously wondering the same thing Kevin, the pop up weighs roughly half the weight of my nice frame crew cab, so if it was even 90% as comfort with a heavy load I’d be very tempted to switch over based on the weight and convenience of the shorter stay height for normal day hunt configuration

Thanks to the OP for the pics and info.

Since you mentioned carry-on sizing, does this pack seem to be right at max volume for those uses, or if you were trying to maximize volume for carry-on, would you want to use a load cell in the load sling?

NDGuy

WKR
You and I share taste in beer Kona Big Wave FTW.

I will be ordering my new beer backpack soon.

Trial153

WKR
I would say 80-90 lbs would be pretty realistic for the Pop up. 60 lbs felt really good, not quite as good as in my Guide Light frame but still very comfortable.

Can you give us thoughts on the 18 vs the 28 ? Also can a stick it be added to these pack?

One thing. I noticed is that is looks like lashing a bow to them might be a difficult unless I am missing some attachment points that I can’t see.

Also any idea when the larges will be instock?

Last edited:

BGC

FNG
I ordered a 28 in foliage from Mountain Archery last week. Being delivered this upcoming Tues.

mfolch

WKR
What’s to stop you from using this with a roll top dry cell, e.g., from stone glacier or sea to summit, as a camp bag to haul in all your gear for a back country hunt, drop the dry cell, collapse the stays, and day hunt from there? My issue with the big frames is that they stick up to my ears, and I never feel like I’m moving freely enough with one of them on my back. So usually I carry in a designated pack for hunting along with my pack out frame. This new system seems to eliminate those concerns, if used along with a dry cell. I guess the question is how much gear can one reasonably place between the bag and frame?

mfolch

WKR
Ps. Thanks for the preview. MR (and SG) should send you a contract. There’s just not enough info on the MR (and SG) websites m

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
have a 18 on order, this should be just the ticket for long day hunts or 2-3 day trips w/ a dry bag/cell

No longer will pack volume be measured in liters. Just bottles of beer. Awesome review.

I was gonna post that. The newofficial rokslide pack measuring system. All packs are now judged by how many beers it will hold. I suggest cans as glass breaks too easy. Someone will have to do the cubic inches to beer can conversion chart.

Need to standardize it as tallboys. Regular 16oz tallboys is the perfect pack volume measure

The Frame and bag don’t separate. The weight is the weight. You guys that want this one to Pack camp in and then daypack around while you hunt might really really think about the pintler. I’ve had the longbow Metcalf and crew cab for my nice frame and still have the longbow and crew cab. I just got the pintler and this pop up 28. The pintler/ longbow is killer as a daypack- but I get that rhe stays might bug some guys. The bottom line though is that the pop up really is about a 75 lb Pack. It’s not the beast that’s going to haul camp and meat. In my opinion. Having been running around with 35-75 lbs in the pintler and the pop up for a couple weeks now.

I’ll expand in this later but I just got back from one of my Ranger Buddies funeral and I’d rather drink right now- but the pop up for the guy who needs it is irreplaceable. As a concept it’s a 10, and the pop up 28 that I got seems fine- but I can definitely sharpshoot a few things so I’ll call the execution about 8 right now. I’d wouldn’t be surprised to see the pop up go modular in the next Couple years ala the nice the guidelight and the terrafame. Might be a factor for guys that don’t need to pull the trigger in the immediate.

Last edited:

ridge

WKR
I just had my hands on them at the shot show and yes they do separate. I even fitted them to the nice frame.