Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28

Yeah. It comes off the exact same way. I never even thought about it because it doesn’t have a Sleave on top of the bag... stand by for weights

Frame ways 3lb 5 oz on my kitchen scale with medium yoke and belt. Now I have to re roll this spaghetti. Thanks for the yard sale.

19e78020252c7c120f2c3cc0dc6920cf.jpg

Last edited:
OP
S

Shoboshi

FNG
fqcpl7O.jpg

Sorry I haven't had much time to get back to this thread. I did take the pack on a couple leisurely 2 mile hill hikes. Once with 60lbs and yesterday with 90lbs. I have to revisit the Cabinet Guide Light frame packs again to compare.

rNFIkNh.jpg

They Seperate. As other stated the weight seprated. My kitchen scale was Frame: 3lbs 6oz and Bag: 1lbs 7oz.

Tapatalk is killing me. Mobile format is killing me. Full site is killing me. Glad you came back with those pictures I’ve got to reregister with Tapatalk so I can post photos.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
fqcpl7O.jpg

Sorry I haven't had much time to get back to this thread. I did take the pack on a couple leisurely 2 mile hill hikes. Once with 60lbs and yesterday with 90lbs. I have to revisit the Cabinet Guide Light frame packs again to compare.

rNFIkNh.jpg

They Seperate. As other stated the weight seprated. My kitchen scale was Frame: 3lbs 6oz and Bag: 1lbs 7oz.

Thanks heaps, good info.

So how did it feel generally with the 90lbs in it (obviously 90lbs isn’t light!!) was it fairly tolerable?

No noticeable hotspots from the belt etc?

Did It feel like it was flexing or risking failure?

OP
S

Shoboshi

FNG
My old body says I should have done 75lbs and worked my way up to 90lbs in another week. Nothing extremely bothersome with the hip belt, but I will try my Guide Light frame tomorrow to feel the difference.

The frame and shelf felt sturdy. The non-locking buckles did well and the straps never loosened during my hike.

Got mine. Neat pack. Can’t wait to play with it.

Initial note for the husky crowd, for reference I am 6.3 250lbs. 48 coat 38 waist. I am about to run out of adjustment on the belt in a size large and there is not much extra strap in the shoulders either. The whole frame is a scaled down version of the guide light. My large guide light is perfect. This one has a lot less room to it.

Trial153

WKR

Initial note for the husky crowd, for reference I am 6.3 250lbs. 48 coat 38 waist. I am about to run out of adjustment on the belt in a size large and there is not much extra strap in the shoulders either. The whole frame is a scaled down version of the guide light. My large guide light is perfect. This one has a lot less room to it.
I am a large also in the guide lite ...looks like i need to size up in the pop up.

now do i go 18 or 28??....

I am a large also in the guide lite ...looks like i need to size up in the pop up.

now do i go 18 or 28??....

Never seen the 18. The 28 is fairly small and I assume the frames are the same size. I can’t see the extra 10 liters being a disadvantage in terms of weight and bulk.

I’d look at where you are in your guide light belt and harness. The futura harness is pretty much identical, so if you are happy with the Guide light harness keep that size. I wear a larger belt in the pop up than I do in the guide light. But the yoke / harness is fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Never seen the 18. The 28 is fairly small and I assume the frames are the same size. I can’t see the extra 10 liters being a disadvantage in terms of weight and bulk.
I think you're on the right track apreciate the insight

Trial153

WKR
I’d look at where you are in your guide light belt and harness. The futura harness is pretty much identical, so if you are happy with the Guide light harness keep that size. I wear a larger belt in the pop up than I do in the guide light. But the yoke / harness is fine

I am in a solid middle of a large on a guide light frame. I have Room on both ends. Maybe I need a large in a pop up also

Here’s a couple pictures. This is the 29-34” belt on the guide light and then the pop up and you can see the difference but the feel is huge. I definitely would prefer the ends of the padding on the pop up to come about an inch closer together. With layers on it’s almost not enough- but I don’t sweat that much as the layers usually get peeled quick under load. It’s not a big deal but it isn’t perfect. I’ll probably buy a larger belt for my pop up. As for weight limit- the frame definitely has the vertical stiffness to transfer load to the hips and keep it off your spine and shoulders- but it has none of the torsional / lateral rigidity of the NICE or guidelight. Which in addition to the light belt are the factors that will limit capacity “off-road” I have no desire to attempt to pack out 90-100 lbs in the steep nasty stuff that I usually hunt with this Pack. When they say 75lb or so for this frame , it’s less about “weight capacity” that the frame can support and more about weight control and how it is able to do that is my POV after messing with the It for a little bit. Hopefully to kill and Pack out some pigs this month for a little more real world test

89d0f4479f61aba23f65364f5576e781.jpg
2b31cf4571b0ae953fd3d3e4b2baa4fb.jpg

Last edited:

Just to clarify - the padding is smaller and covers less circumference. Pics above and those on the first page show this pretty clearly. I imagine that is by design. User preferences may vary. The yoke also fits fine when extended. My specific issue is about the length of the adjustment straps. On the shoulders, I have about 2 inches left on the adjustment when fitted. There is about 1 inch left on the chest strap. The belt barely fits. Imo opinion the Pack Needs another few inches of webbing to accommodate larger shoulders and waist. As in if you are over a 38 waist or a 38 and wearing layers you are not going to be able to buckle the hip belt.

Maybe this one is designed for the skinny guys.