Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28

I'm loving mine so far. Have had it on numerous hikes and a ski trip. Heading up for more hiking /skiing this weekend. Full of snacks and jackets for kids this weekend.

f9cd7437856f46cea18a9fb70186b08d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ok. Good and bad.

Good - I like the info and have been looking at this Pack and very curious to learn more.

Bad - you just cost me $300

Good - I really want to go hunting with you and your magic backpack full of beer.
Mind you, that's just for a day hunt for him. You'll have to carry your own beer

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sorry, your cheese has slid off your cracker if you think this replaces a hauling pack. This is meant for guys that are doing it every spare minute. No one is saying this replaces your real hauling pack, but if you have a load of antlers or bear bait( not that i would use this for hauling bread), but this is a low pro day to day pack with a possible ability to pack a load. Nothing more nothing less.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, your cheese has slid off your cracker if you think this replaces a hauling pack. This is meant for guys that are doing it every spare minute. No one is saying this replaces your real hauling pack, but if you have a load of antlers or bear bait( not that i would use this for hauling bread), but this is a low pro day to day pack with a possible ability to pack a load. Nothing more nothing less.

Do you have this a pack?

...And im not putting unrealistic hopes on its abilities. It will fit into my gear repetoire nicely based on what it is designed to do.

Randle

WKR
Downeaster, or anyone else for that matter. how do you see these fitting into hunting ? I just got mine . I am hoping to use it for hauling elk out and might try it for shed hunting . I have an exo for longer trips. Most trips for me are a mile or 3......80 lbs seems reasonable to me. If the snow ever goes away I will get some weight in it a hike my property.

Last edited:
No kidding on the snow thing. Thought we were headed to an early shed hunting season until a few weeks ago.
I think ill probably use it for my everyday pack and and then once the seasons come around ill use it for the first pack out. Im loving the pintler for bigger loads(be it meat,or clothes in the cold weather), but i feel like im always catching the load lifters when im going under trees. Figure i can carry all my must haves in the 18 and still be able to take a medium load out for the first run.

Randle

WKR
Yep here too I use my Exo but when the chasing begins it is a pain to crawl thru the jungle .

Sheds, and morells, and bears oh my!
This is what occupies my brain till the snow melts (then it will occupy my time as well)

Downeaster, or anyone else for that matter. how do you see these fitting into hunting ? I just got mine . I am hoping to use it for hauling elk out and might try it for shed hunting . I have an exo for longer trips. Most trips for me are a mile or 3......80 lbs seems reasonable to me. If the snow ever goes away I will get some weight in it a hike my property.

I put a 40 lb bag of corn in mine. It carried well.

I plan to use it this fall as my day pack for hunting in the northeast that can haul out a bone in white tail for distances of probably 3 miles or less.

elkyinzer

WKR
I really like the idea of this pack however the bag is kinda off, in my eyes. First off there is no front compression straps to carry a bow, to me that’s a big deal! The new tree stand bag they have is much closer in my opinion. Would be in like flyn if treestand came on pop up frame!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No front conpression straps because you don't need them. The straps on opposite sides attaching to the frame are male/female and long enough to meet. You can strap a bow to this thing in 10 seconds.

I finally got the 18. Perfect size for my kill bag, rain gear (if needed), emergency bag, snacks, and misc gear. Only used for shed hunting so far. Other than the waste of space water bottle pockets on each side, she seems perfect. Time will tell, but all signs are positive.

Bump. Any more input?

I have a few more day hikes on mine. Not really any hauling other than a sack of turkey decoys. I like it enough that I sold my woodsman that was riding a 22 inch frame and was my deer hunting day pack last year.

Fatcamp

WKR
Nice. This really looks like a good fit for me. Currently using Cabela's pack frames with daypacks attached. They are just so big.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought I had posted this in this thread (it was another pop up thread)

two more 4-ish mile hikes with 60 lbs and yesterday a 4-ish mile hike with 75 lbs. I’m not going to lie, with 75 lbs over technical trail and some decent climbs/descents, it wasn’t an overly fun outing :). but I don’t recall ever having fun with 75 lbs on my back

I’ll continue to do some pack training, but will settle on 45 lbs or less

I’m now confident that the Pop Up will do exactly what it was designed to do- offer a compact day pack that can quickly be converted into a hauler to get a load out. I’ll keep the weight to 75-ish lbs (if I do my part and have meat to haul) and will be good to go

sbsyncro

FNG
Disclaimer first: I have not handled either the 28 or the 18. In my mind, the 18 is like a fanny pack that can carry a load, which in turn will make my subsequent loads that much lighter. If I need the capacity of a 28 ill carry my pintler. For my needs, the 18 is gonna be the perfect companion to my heavier hauling packs. I'm personally excited for it, think its gonna fill a real niche.

^^ I'm in this camp. First of all, I'm over 50, 5' 10" and 160 lbs; I have absolutely no need for a pack that can carry 100 lbs, because there's no way in hell I would/could ever carry that much! :)

My thinking is that the 18 will be the perfect pack for scouting trips where I might pick up something interesting, but large day packs are too big and fanny packs are too small. It could also pack enough for an overnight turkey/rabbit/quail/dove trip without needing the bulk of a bird vest or other "upland pack" that isn't usable as a carrier for overnight gear. Being able to tuck the risers out of the way will be a big advantage for ducking through brush. Its probably a bit small for a 2-3 day back country deer hunt, but that's what a Pintler (or similar) is for...