Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28

Fatcamp

WKR
I looked at the 18 at our local retailer. Cool pack. It would work well for me. Unfortunately I am unable to spend more money on hunting equipment this year.

I did buy a complete Molle II ruck off Craigslist for $25 to play with. Gonna be a little heavier than my Cabela's frame which is right at 5# with pack and rainfly, but should be a lot more compact which is what I'm after.

Rymanco

WKR
I just laid hands on one. I'd recommend sizing up on the belt if you are on a cutoff, not down. I have a 34" waist and can barely get the medium belt buckled.

I'm a 32 waist and 6'0" tall. I found a decent deal on a used large. Do you think it would work or should I go with a medium?

deadwolf

WKR
Hey all, what accessories will work with the pop up series? Belt pouches, rifle sling, wet rib, etc.?

Talked with MR a little bit ago, I guess all accessories work, good to know : )

BTW, Black Ovis guys are GREAT to deal with. Anyone willing to take the time on the phone and talk over packs and hunting, experience with different packs and gear...those are the people I want to give my business to!

Last edited:

morphetm

Lil-Rokslider
Wanted to add a little info to this post. I have had my 28 for about a month now and love it. I have had 65 lbs in it (40 lbs fertilizer and 25 lbs of seed for a food plot and it was comfortable. It seems very sturdy, but this is my first higher end pack.

I also flew for a mission trip to Jamaica with it and carried enough rolled up t shirts, shorts, underwear and socks for 7 days. I also had some flip flops and hygiene stuff in it. I went TSA 4 times and customs and immigration twice with no problems. One TSA agent did look it over after the x-ray, I assume looking at the aluminum rods, but said nothing and passed me through. I took it on as a carry on for all 4 flights also without issue.

As far as attachments I ordered a Kifaru gun bearer for it and it worked fine so far, attaching it as you would on a Kifaru pack.

So far I haven't found anything that I don't like about it and I am very happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

jspradley

WKR
Thanks for the review and info! I’m eyeballing was one of these, can you tell me if these are US made or imported?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
99% sure it's imported, Philippines or Vietnam- can't recall; would be nice if it was made in the US, but can assure you the construction/sewing is top notch

Trial153

WKR
Imported. I have pop up 18. I Don’t see any quality difference from my USA made mystery ranch packs. That’s said I wish they were still made state side, but is what it is.

Trial153

WKR
Just a heads up, packed out an elk with the 18. This pack was pleasurr to day hunt in. I was hunting from a base camp so used it to take out two loads.
I wouldnt say it's on par with a guide lite frame or nice frame for load hauling however it fine for up to 80ish pounds. It shines in my opinion for a day pack .
c0d7bbaff4904e4e7c5c284caa316d86.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats! Good to hear, hoping mine sees some use beyond walking with my rifle :D

caws907

FNG
I hiked a couple caribou hind quarters this year with my pop up 28. I gotta say it came in super handy because usually we don't pack any meat do to us using four wheelers. However, this year we had to work a little harder for them and got into places four wheelers can't go. It is the perfect bag for what we do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
Dang, why didn't I see this thread earlier, seems like exactly what I want, something you can "still hunt" in and shoot on while being able to get some lift on the pack out. Hope to see more reviews.

I hiked a couple caribou hind quarters this year with my pop up 28. I gotta say it came in super handy because usually we don't pack any meat do to us using four wheelers. However, this year we had to work a little harder for them and got into places four wheelers can't go. It is the perfect bag for what we do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am 6’3” and it works for me. I think they say it is fine up to 6’5” or 6’6”.

The waist belt is small. I have a 38 inch waist and it nearly maxes out for me. I may have to mod it to get it to work over thick layers.

Opening day for archery here in New York. Pleased to report that the pop up 28 handled about 70lbs of quartered white tail + 15lbs of gear for a mile pack out over rolling and some steep terrain. It didn’t shift once I strapped it down and carried fairly well. Given the weight savings over my old crew can or the woodsman on a 22” frame I used last year, I am very happy.

It certainly doesn’t replace a full size hauling frame but it is compact, light and does the job it was made for.

My only gripes are the hip belt needs a bit more slack for me to use with lots of layers. However, It probably isn’t an issue as I will probably need a bigger pack once the weather turns to hold extra clothes. The 28 is probably best a warm weather option. It would fill up fast with bulky winter gear.

If you are looking for a daypack that can haul on occasion, this is a heck of an option.

TheTone

WKR
I "think" they may be some more pop up's coming next year. I really considering picking up an 18 for my wife and a 28 for myself for most of my elk bowhunting.

I "think" they may be some more pop up's coming next year. I really considering picking up an 18 for my wife and a 28 for myself for most of my elk bowhunting.

Interesting. I could see the need for a bigger bag. Maybe up to 40 liters or so. I would prefer if it was wider and not taller. Much more than 40 probably defeats the purpose.

boom

WKR
the 28 may retire my current day pack. i found one used, but passed. my wife would suffocate me in my sleep.

i surprised her with my new MR travel pack that i NEEDED for work. :)