Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28

Shoboshi

FNG
Yes, my very first post on Rokslide. In a nutshell, I am from Hawaii and started hunting 3 years ago, mainly pigs. Made my way to Lanai for the state lottery hunt for Axis Deer. Used an Eberlestock X2 and Mainframe the first two seasons, then moved on to a Mystery Ranch Cabinet and now the Pop Up 28 this year. No retailer in Hawaii carries Kifaru, MR, Sitka, First Lite, etc., so I always read up on rokslide.com for any info that I can find.

I purchased the MR PU28 just for half day or day hunts with load hauling capabilities. The pack also meets the airlines 22"x14"x9" for a carry-on bag. The Guide Light frames are 24" tall, but the airlines never pulled me on the side to measure it before. I ordered the PU28 in Foliage (was hoping for Optifade Subalpine) from BlackOvis.com. OMG they rock and item arrived in 3 days!!!

hdcG9QP.jpg

I wouldn't call this a review since I only received it this morning in the mail. Shall we say more like a dimensional, visual, and functional helper for whoever is leaning on the fence and wants a little bit more info about the new Pop Up 28 backpack. (FYI: I used my phone to take the pictures so the measurements from the images might seem off from what I type but that's due to the phone camera.)

bwWIozm.jpg

Depending on how much you adjust the yoke, for me (5’11”) with the pack stays down, is about 22" Tall and 26" Tall with the stays deployed. I was able to load 29" in height with about another 5" left-over on the load lifter straps.

euEjBg7.jpg

A top view to compare the width of the pack. The load was 10" in width.

v1cOWKc.jpg

The pop up portion is 0.4140" and there's good tension and feels sturdy. The Stays are about 5.75" apart from each other. The bottom stays measure roughly 14.5" and the top (Orange poles) at about 11.25" (25.75" total) Hard to measure because they are inserted into the backpack. When I pulled on the silver and orange stays, I was able to move them quite a bit and I believe they can be removed entirely from the backpack.

vqExoIL.jpg

The shelf measures 10"L x 7.25"W. it's double layered with the Cordura500

xjFxNBV.jpg
ASDvSFE.jpg

Able to fit 3 bottles in the top pocket.

KraDgv5.jpg

2 mesh pockets in the front pocket. Decent size and able to hold a bottle each.

OP
S

Shoboshi

FNG
Ldz1sZR.jpg

Main Compartment zippers do not touch. I can stick my finger inside, water shouldn't go inside unless you flip upside down. Thought that was interesting.

WqckNoH.jpg
6ZRMLgN.jpg

I was able to fit a 3.0L Camelbak bladder (Long version) inside the main compartment and I assume the right and left zippers are to send the hydration hose out. These zipper measures about 3" tall.

1BrZ47X.jpg

Besides the hydration pocket, there are no other pockets inside the main compartment.

p8Cdo8G.gif

I was able to remove the belt much easier than the Guide Light frame belt, but there was a part of the belt that stays onto the main pack and it's 25" wide.

yMXBkiK.jpg
VxdeCZh.jpg

The GL hip belt tallest part was about 4.5". I would guess the GL has twice as much padding as the PU28. The PU28 belt was 3.5" tall at it's highest point and got much more narrow towards the end to maybe 1" less than the GL hip belt.

JSCzQ0N.jpg

The PU28 hip buckles were the same as the GL. The adjustment buckles on the PU28 were not as thick as GL. Also note that the PU28 doesn't have any of the locking buckles like the GL.

OP
S

Shoboshi

FNG
DsAm6od.jpg
nJpSbal.jpg

My one concern is when the stays are in the stowed position, there is a fulcrum point created by a crossmember and another by a buckle. If you have some rigid objects in your pack and you really compress the pack down with the top stays stowed, it could add pressure top and bottom of the orange stays, potentially bending under the right circumstances.

I wore it loaded with a case of beer and although not as comfortable as the Guide Light frame, the compactness and weight reduction of the Pop Up 28 was a fair trade. Overall, I’m am very pleased with the Pop Up 28 and look forward to hauling some meat. Hope this helps.

Trial153

WKR
Your the man. I been waiting for this.

Please pack a load with it and compare it to the guide Lite hauling the same load.....

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like the zipper are designed for "quick rip" just insert your finger and pull it open. This looks like a great design for day packouts. Looking forward to reading for review after using it for awhile

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
Can you write all the initial reviews?

This put my Pintler plans in jeapardy.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, really detailed info and photos, thanks so much for taking the time and effort.

As already discussed it would be interesting to hear what weight you think is realistic for the frame.

I’ve got the NICE frame currently with a crew cab (so not dissimilar set up to your cabinet on the guide light frame) but it’s heavy and I rarely need to carry MASSIVE loads, so I suspect that this Pop Up system could potentially cover 98% of my needs.

One question you can probably answer, is the pack fully removable from the frame?

I’m wondering if its feasible to get a 28 for day hunting, and then get a larger custom pack bag made up to suit the frame, the dimensions of the whole pop up design seem fantastic, I’m just trying to figure out if there is a way to make it my “one and done” pack system, and that will depend on:

can it handle weight?
Can I swap out bags (even if it has to be a custom pack build)?

Thanks again for all the info you’ve already provided.

Ok. Good and bad.

Good - I like the info and have been looking at this Pack and very curious to learn more.

Bad - you just cost me $300

Good - I really want to go hunting with you and your magic backpack full of beer.

BluMtn

WKR
Reminds me of the Clint Eastwood movie, The Eiger Sanction. Clint and George Kennedy are making a technical climb up a column rock and when they get to the top George ask Clint if he wants a beer. Clint responds " Do you have a beer with you" and George replies "no, but you do, I put a 6 pack in your pack before we started the climb".

The one thing I notice with the popup is the waist belt looks smaller compared to the GL

lab-roamer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the excellent review. Looking at the 18 myself.

According to the BlackOvis video, the bag is completely removable.

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, really detailed info and photos, thanks so much for taking the time and effort.

As already discussed it would be interesting to hear what weight you think is realistic for the frame.

I’ve got the NICE frame currently with a crew cab (so not dissimilar set up to your cabinet on the guide light frame) but it’s heavy and I rarely need to carry MASSIVE loads, so I suspect that this Pop Up system could potentially cover 98% of my needs.

One question you can probably answer, is the pack fully removable from the frame?

I’m wondering if its feasible to get a 28 for day hunting, and then get a larger custom pack bag made up to suit the frame, the dimensions of the whole pop up design seem fantastic, I’m just trying to figure out if there is a way to make it my “one and done” pack system, and that will depend on:

can it handle weight?
Can I swap out bags (even if it has to be a custom pack build)?

Thanks again for all the info you’ve already provided.

I would say 80-90 lbs would be pretty realistic for the Pop up. 60 lbs felt really good, not quite as good as in my Guide Light frame but still very comfortable.

Ok. Good and bad.

Good - I like the info and have been looking at this Pack and very curious to learn more.

Bad - you just cost me $300

Good - I really want to go hunting with you and your magic backpack full of beer.
#truth

OP - Thank you for all the pics! Now I have to decide on the 28 or 18. Originally I was looking at the 18...

LostArra

WKR
exactly. i dig them..if they leak you get some containment. and i wish all pack builders put in a tiny pocket with hook for car keys. i am friggen paranoid about key management.

I was actually referring to the 48 bottle capacity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk