Thoughts on this bag design (for SG frame)?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I picked up an EVO frame and want to put together a multiday bag for it that suits my uses specifically. I think I’ve covered my basis pretty well but hindsight 20-20 stuff sometimes arises for changes/additions. What do you all think about this:

*Following suit on the main body of the bag itself, the collapsing concept seems solid.
*Left side formed pocket (spotter most likely) on a flat sleeve panel (stuff treking poles down into) with pass through slots so the side strap can run behind the formed pocket so it doesn’t have to be compressed with the bag.
*Put tab loops on left seam to use split bar buckles to connect the side/center straps into in a typical fashion as needed, however I’d like to connect the side strap to the center strap in day pack mode so when the bag is compressed the side pocket rolls towards the rear rather than dangling off the side.
*Offset zipper on center panel for main bag access, both for the compressed down scenario and also making the center panel free to strap something onto.
*High on the center panel a flat zippered pocket for small items, this would ride on the top of the pack when its collapsed.
*Rounded sleeve pocket on the right side (stuff a tripod or other taller gear into), running the straps over top of this to secure it and I can’t foresee any need otherwise.
*Lid design like shown below (not sure if I want to put a collar on the lid or not yet).

ayuaYYGl.jpg

zuQM04Ll.jpg

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
On the sleeve pocket I would make two small openings in the bottom corners to allow debris to fall out and airflow if it was to get wet.

Overall I like it. What’s the lid dimensions?

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
On the sleeve pocket I would make two small openings in the bottom corners to allow debris to fall out and airflow if it was to get wet.

Overall I like it. What’s the lid dimensions?

I was planning to do that, but good looking out. :) The design on that lid: bottom is 12x12 and its 4" tall tapering in some on the sides and a bit more in the front (basically there's an 8x8 flat spot on top for the pocket area if adding the pocket there, can just as easily be left off).

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Planning on coyote? If so how does that look with the evo color?

rfgreenwell

Lil-Rokslider
I like it. Good idea putting the flat sleeve in behind the spotter pocket. The sleeve on the side should maybe have a bellow fold in it, maybe thats what you indicating at the bottom. I like the zippered slot pocket near the top and also the one on top the lid. I would probably prefer a skirted lid. Nice design pods. I love the bag you made for me, but I am keeping it on the x-curve and sent the evo back.

A bladder sleeve inside or on the back of bag between frame and bag ? I fight with my bladder with their bags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Planning on coyote? If so how does that look with the evo color?

Probably ranger green and black after seeing yours. ;)

Bag design looks good! Really like the lid. How many ci ?

Not really sure, 400?

The sleeve on the side should maybe have a bellow fold in it, maybe thats what you indicating at the bottom.

Yeah that's the marks at the bottom, bellow/pleat/whatever we're calling it. :)

A bladder sleeve inside or on the back of bag between frame and bag ? I fight with my bladder with their bags

Probably in the bag but if I do I'm putting in a 70D nylon panel to separate it from the contents in the bag. Also will put a grommet in the back of the bag near the bottom of the 70D panel so that if there was a leak most of it would drain out the pack (not that I've blown out a bladder to date).

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Speaking of bladder sleeve good idea with the grommet. I don’t know if you can get ahold of it but that material SO uses for their entire bag SG uses on the back that is waterproof, use that for the sleeve

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Speaking of bladder sleeve good idea with the grommet. I don’t know if you can get ahold of it but that material SO uses for their entire bag SG uses on the back that is waterproof, use that for the sleeve

Its xpac. Urethane coated 70d is waterproof enough for this task, it'll be what I use for the top collar too.

tttoadman

WKR
Love the offset zipper. Is it crazy to kick it down both sides and have total panel access?

I think by collar on the lid you mean the form fitting lip that pulls over the top of the frame. I am a fan of this, and that is why i don't care for the guide lid. I just run a std lid with a LL #11 on it and I love it. The contents don't get compressed when the lid is compressed tight. Bellowing that zipper pocket on the top would make a great space.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Panel access: need to connect them to make it a panel access and not the greatest fit with that face pocket I'm planning on (unless just down low), also I'm hoping to compress that left side under the formed pocket and a stiff zipper in there would fight against that.

Collar: I mean the portion that sucks up with the cinch cord. But yes I was saying I planned to make the main bag body so it'll collapse with that lip, that's a well thought out setup for this frame.

Are you talking about the zipper pocket on the pack or lid? Both I just envisioned tucking little items into for quick access: a bar, gps, phone if regularly using, etc. yet still keeping things fairly streamlined.

Mt Al

WKR
Nice! Can't wait to see it when it's done.

Just some thoughts: maybe eliminate the zipper on the side formed pocket and exchange for a draw string closed top or a flap closed by velcro or a 3/4" SR buckle. Purpose would be to save weight and to be able to cram stuff in without fighting closing a zipper.

Eliminate lid collar, just keep it tight (?).

Love the loops for split bar buckles vs. webbing hanging everywhere. I keep a few G-lock buckles with SRs on long webbing lengths in case I'm strapping a sleeping pad, bag, tent to the outside. For really light stuff you can just thread 550 cord through those tabs as well.

Cool!

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Side pocket: As a personal preference I like the long zipper so I can open it up and grab things if I have misc gear in there vs a spotter without having to stuff my arm down in it and dig around.

Collar on lid: On the fence. Certainly easier to leave it off in terms of making it.

Yes, loose webbing when not in use bugs me so I try to keep it in check with stuff I make myself.

deadwolf

WKR
Pods8, I know we talked about a smaller bag for a daypack, have been so slammed I haven’t gotten back in touch with you. What size bag are you going to make this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
Would it make sense to add a small pocket on the bottom of each side to catch the bottom of your sleeve items (trekking poles, rifle butt, etc.)? I love the over all design.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pods8, I know we talked about a smaller bag for a daypack, have been so slammed I haven’t gotten back in touch with you. What size bag are you going to make this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~12" wide x 36" tall and somewhere 8-10" deep to be determined based on how much capacity I want to finalize on. I don't know the cuin if that is what you're asking, you need to stuff a pack to figure that out since its not a box.

Would it make sense to add a small pocket on the bottom of each side to catch the bottom of your sleeve items (trekking poles, rifle butt, etc.)? I love the over all design.

They are closed bottomed.