How to pick a Pack (Kifaru vs. Exo Mountain vs. Stone Glacier)

This wont help the OP, but I know if you dont live near these companies it is almost impossible to try these packs on. I have a Kifaru Woodsman with a duplex tactical frame. I bought it all last year. Anybody in Michigan who is trying to decide i would be willing to meet so they can try it in so they can see how it fits. I leave my day hunting stuff in it so it has some weight. Just PM me if you want to try it.

Gumbo

WKR
For a lot of people all of these packs will work great. If you fall into that lucky group look at what features seem to fit your needs best and give that pack a shot. If you have a picky back or other anatomical anomaly then you might have to buy and try. For example on me the Krux frame was horribly uncomfortable under any load, a MR NICE frame is good under marginally heavy loads (not packing meat), but Kifaru fits perfectly under any load without adjusting anything. I've never worn an EXO. As stated, you can always sell any of these packs for a good price on the classifieds. If I were to suggest it would be Kifaru because you seldom hear people complain about them.

twall13

WKR
if i could mcgyver the xcurve frame with the kifaru belt and an exo 5500 bag i think i would be set lol. all are solid options
I'm almost positive you can get the Exo 5500 on the stone glacier frame. Im not as sure on the Kifaru belt...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You can but youll have to change some straps around because of the difference in size. Ive tried and the stone glacier straps are thicker than exo's

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm almost positive you can get the Exo 5500 on the stone glacier frame. Im not as sure on the Kifaru belt...

im not that serious although i know some have tried, was just kind of pointing out the different features i liked about the different companies

twall13

WKR
im not that serious although i know some have tried, was just kind of pointing out the different features i liked about the different companies
I hear you. I did end up with a Kifaru frame and an Exo bag and I understand what you are getting at. I do like the Kifaru belt better but I haven't tried the newer model belts from Exo. Each company has areas where they shine but all are top notch packs.

I ran an exo pack on a kifaru frame for a long time. It is a pretty good setup.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wanted at least reasonable comfort under heavy loads but also something that felt small when just carrying day gear. Kifaru felt big on me even with just the frame no bag (I’m not a big guy though). Sg might be sacrificing some comfort but felt like a day pack size wise.

Since I don’t kill a lot and other than training rarely pack over 40lbs I went with sg. I never had a chance to try on an exo. MR just didn’t feel near as good

I run a Mystery Ranch NICE frame and had issues in the beginning with the belt slipping down off my waist under load. I added an OV Innovations MEAN pad and that fixed the problem. I have a curved back, and a pronounced curve in my lower spine, so a more robust lumbar pad works better for me.

I do like the ease with which you can adjust length of the NICE frame. It allows you to really fine tune the fit, which I feel is especially important at the upper limits of your carry capacity.

As you know, it's best to try on different models if you can. If you can't, assess your physical build, think about past experiences and make the best decision you can. Like others have said, all the packs you mentioned are of the highest quality, and will sell easily.

I know there’s been tons of replies. I’ll keep mine short. I owned the following. Wanted to try the Kifaru but didtnt get good vibes from some of their staff so I’ve passed on ever trying them.

At least the 2017 models. EXO, Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier. For me they go like this in this order. And I still have all of them.

EXO 5500
Stone Glacier Talus 6900
Mystery Ranch Metcalf

EXO. Has every damn feature in a Crazy light package. Way more thought went into this pack than all the others. So many little features that the others over looked. The way the lid sits and fits, the pocket design and so on. Hip pouches are the BEST! With the pack empty, it’s very comfortable. Bends and twist with you. So comfortable! When it’s loaded, it packs weight every bit as good as the rest, except the Stone Glacier might have a very slight advantage when getting over 100lbs. Way too much to go into on the EXO. Comfortable empty or loaded is why is comes out on top, and so feature rich. Just so so much into this packs design. Wish the belt had quick release tabs to loosen though. Excellent customer service.

Stone Glacier. Probably the king of them all when it’s time to pack over 100 lbs. But other than that, not a whole lot more going on with this pack. It lacks a lot of features, pockets, etc unless you get the 6900. Frame empty feels almost like a piece of plywood. Not bad, just noticeable. Still built very well as are the rest, just needs more thought put into pockets, Layout, meatshelve straps, lid, etc. But loaded is a gem to use. No question it’s the best at packing weight. And the frame and bag are tough as well. Stout buckles as well, decently designed meat shelf. Great side pouches as well. Customer service is excellent.

Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Prob best customer service. I’ll Just say that. The pack and frame just kinda sit around the run of the mill as far as features and comfort. Frame twist and moves very well, almost don’t even realize it has a frame. Bag is nice and their buckles (what they are famous for ) can’t be beat. The bag has a few pockets, excellent lid and love the load shelve. In my opinion, it has the best load shelf. Where this pack lacks is the waist belt. It’s way too narrow and can put a lot of pressure on parts of your hips. Needs another inch in width. The lid also sits kinda awkwardly at times. Also needs bigger external pockets. This pack has the worst side pouches. Flimsy to say the least and when you unbuckle the belt, the pouches slide all around. Loaded with 100lbs or less, it’s very comfortable and does the job but would benefit with a wider waist belt.

Just my .2 and opinion

I know there’s been tons of replies. I’ll keep mine short. I owned the following. Wanted to try the Kifaru but didtnt get good vibes from some of their staff so I’ve passed on ever trying them.

At least the 2017 models. EXO, Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier. For me they go like this in this order. And I still have all of them.

EXO 5500
Stone Glacier Talus 6900
Mystery Ranch Metcalf

EXO. Has every damn feature in a Crazy light package. Way more thought went into this pack than all the others. So many little features that the others over looked. The way the lid sits and fits, the pocket design and so on. Hip pouches are the BEST! With the pack empty, it’s very comfortable. Bends and twist with you. So comfortable! When it’s loaded, it packs weight every bit as good as the rest, except the Stone Glacier might have a very slight advantage when getting over 100lbs. Way too much to go into on the EXO. Comfortable empty or loaded is why is comes out on top, and so feature rich. Just so so much into this packs design. Wish the belt had quick release tabs to loosen though. Excellent customer service.

Stone Glacier. Probably the king of them all when it’s time to pack over 100 lbs. But other than that, not a whole lot more going on with this pack. It lacks a lot of features, pockets, etc unless you get the 6900. Frame empty feels almost like a piece of plywood. Not bad, just noticeable. Still built very well as are the rest, just needs more thought put into pockets, Layout, meatshelve straps, lid, etc. But loaded is a gem to use. No question it’s the best at packing weight. And the frame and bag are tough as well. Stout buckles as well, decently designed meat shelf. Great side pouches as well. Customer service is excellent.

Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Prob best customer service. I’ll Just say that. The pack and frame just kinda sit around the run of the mill as far as features and comfort. Frame twist and moves very well, almost don’t even realize it has a frame. Bag is nice and their buckles (what they are famous for ) can’t be beat. The bag has a few pockets, excellent lid and love the load shelve. In my opinion, it has the best load shelf. Where this pack lacks is the waist belt. It’s way too narrow and can put a lot of pressure on parts of your hips. Needs another inch in width. The lid also sits kinda awkwardly at times. Also needs bigger external pockets. This pack has the worst side pouches. Flimsy to say the least and when you unbuckle the belt, the pouches slide all around. Loaded with 100lbs or less, it’s very comfortable and does the job but would benefit with a wider waist belt.

Just my .2 and opinion
Thanks for sharing! I havent tried exo or mystery ranch yet, only kifaru and stone glacier. I thought the stone glacier was extremely well thought out, coming from the kifaru. Kifaru makes an excellent product, but for my style of use and sense of aesthetic, the stone glacier packs just suit me better. Enough organization for my tastes but not too much. Kifaru duplex frame was nice, stone glacier x curve equally nice for my body.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

nroscoe13

FNG
I went with the kifaru frame and it's been great for me. Fits my body well. I have both a 22in frame and 24in. I like how simple they are to adjust to fit your body size.

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kifaru that I really like and has handled loads between 80 and 90 pounds (that's measured weights and not internet weights) but I have no experience with the others. I also tend to be a "through everything in the bag and cinch it down" kind of packer (particularly later in a hunt) so the kifaru bags are perfect for me. If you are super organized and don't want to add the pockets and lids one of the other packs may be better for you