Best pack frame (just the frame)

Daddy

FNG
So I've been looking at just buying a frame from either exo mountain, kifaru, or stone glacier, and then making my own bag. Which of these frames would you recommend to buy and why? Any input on the 3 different stone glacier frames would be well appreciated too. Or which frame is the best with a purchased bag in your opinion from these 3 brands? Thanks guys

All I can say is that different frames fit different bodies sort of like how different boots fit different people. You could get different answers on all of them. Totally not helpful, but people usually say "cant go wrong with any of 'em!"

I have only used the kifaru duplex. I liked it alot, kifaru products are well made. That being said, I just sold mine and picked up a SG, more because I was not satisfied with the bag offerings from kifaru. Since you are making your own bag, that would be a non issue. Good luck on your project!

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

I would not leave SeekOutside out of the discussion. That is what I have and I have used it with Kifaru, Kuiu and home made bags.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
I would not leave SeekOutside out of the discussion. That is what I have and I have used it with Kifaru, Kuiu and home made bags.

Did you just slip the top of the struts into the sleeve on the Kifaru bag?

Were there any issues with buckles etc

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One consideration is EXO uses different buckles (rock lockster), FYI. Kifaru/Stone Glacier/Myster Ranch use the more standard military buckle type (different model name in different brands) that is interchangeable.

Did you just slip the top of the struts into the sleeve on the Kifaru bag?

Were there any issues with buckles etc

It has been a while since I did it, yes I slid the sleeve over the frame and i made some home made straps with buckles to attach the frame to bag.

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
If you are talking strictly the frame and not the same brand bag to go in it, then I would say Kifaru Duplex.

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
SG frame comes with a load sling. Kifaru doesn't make one separate from a bag, and exo you have to purchase it separate. Definitely no point in getting old sg krux frame. If you have any curve to your back, get xcurve. If you think you need a straight back model, get the new Evo. Looks like it's just an old krux with the better shoulder harness and hip belt of the xcurve, plus with a few unnecessary ounces shaved off.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
SG frame comes with a load sling. Kifaru doesn't make one separate from a bag, and exo you have to purchase it separate. Definitely no point in getting old sg krux frame. If you have any curve to your back, get xcurve. If you think you need a straight back model, get the new Evo. Looks like it's just an old krux with the better shoulder harness and hip belt of the xcurve, plus with a few unnecessary ounces shaved off.

The Kifaru Grab-it is a load sling.

tttoadman

WKR
Just as a side note, I run the Kifaru grabit on my SG frame with SG bag. It takes a couple minutes with a couple tri-slides using the straps coming off the bottom of the frame, and you are good to go.

LaHunter

WKR
From those of you that have experience with the new MR Guide Light Frame, how would you compare it to the above mentioned frames? Interested to know how it 'moves' with you under moderate loads and also how it handles 85+ lbs.

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
The Kifaru Grab-it is a load sling.
Okay. Again, something separate to buy. Not clear from videos, but can it attach to the frame anywhere but the bottom? Online videos show it either attaching to a bag, or the very bottom of the frame. The sg load sling attaches about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the frame, allowing you to lift the load up to center of mass. Also, is it even possible to attach the grab it direct to frame and still have lower (underside) attachment of bag to the frame. Again sg has distinct attachment points for straps from underside of bag to the lower frame, and then higher up the frame attachment point for load sling

While obviously a PITA, my suggestion would be to buy them all, try them with the maximum + load you anticipate carrying, then send back the ones you don't want, I think they all offer a 30 day return policy (not sure about Exo). Since you are centrally located (Idaho), it shouldn't cost too much money in shipping. You may even be able to find some of the offerings locally, either new or from fellow Sliders that live in your area. Just a suggestion, but I think it would guarantee you that you'll get the one that best fits you and your needs.

Lawnboi

WKR
Okay. Again, something separate to buy. Not clear from videos, but can it attach to the frame anywhere but the bottom? Online videos show it either attaching to a bag, or the very bottom of the frame. The sg load sling attaches about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the frame, allowing you to lift the load up to center of mass. Also, is it even possible to attach the grab it direct to frame and still have lower (underside) attachment of bag to the frame. Again sg has distinct attachment points for straps from underside of bag to the lower frame, and then higher up the frame attachment point for load sling

You can attach it in the middleish of the frame, there's an additional attachment point for it. Yea it's something separate to buy but you can put it wherever you want, and can use it for more than just hauling meat.

So I can hang my grab it on the higher attachment point and still connect a bag, or I can run it on my bag, or from the bottom of the frame if needed.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
From those of you that have experience with the new MR Guide Light Frame, how would you compare it to the above mentioned frames? Interested to know how it 'moves' with you under moderate loads and also how it handles 85+ lbs.

Experience with the NICE and guidelight and also SG EVO now, the guidelight for my 19” torso is plenty of lift w/o being overly tall and it moves well with me. The single strap over a plastic backer on the belt always left me a tad envious of the SG xcurve belt thus I grabbed an EVO when it came out with that belt on straight stays. That said I comfortably trained at 75lb weekly in the fall on the guidelight, my waist size bottomed out the medium frame 29-34” belt at 90+ though for those occasions.

aion2come

WKR
If you are 6'2" or over, the Exo is out because of frame height imho. I have owned Exo (2014 model) and Kifaru, and still use them both. But for load hauling, the Kifaru gets the nod. For ligher loads, the Exo.

I'd say for making your own bag, the Kifaru allows for more options because of multiple attachment points, but the Exo allows for a simpler and more straight-forward approach that is solid. I made a bag that would fit either frame by swapping out buckles.

BTW, how do I get my pictures to not appear sideways??

20161027_070738.jpg

20161027_071324.jpg