Best frame/bag for carrying Lone Wolf Assault hang-on

LateRiser

FNG
I know others have done this, but I have yet to really see or hear about someone that has their system dialed to carry a Lone Wolf style hang-on with a western style pack.

I plan to use the pack and frame for its intended use (hauling out meat) on future elk hunts, but I’d also like to get use out of it while whitetail hunting (common story, I know). As many do, I often walk 3-4 miles to set up, and the stand and sticks weigh close to 30lbs. Having a pack that allows me to walk in with everything secure and comfortable wild make an enormous difference. I also need the bag to hold clothes that I change into once I get there.

My question is, is there a pack that works best for this? I would like to attach the base of the stand to the frame/suspension and leave it attached when I hang it to hunt, the way I do with current molle straps. Therefore, the bag needs to be able to attach to the frame, with the stand in the “meat shelf/dry bag space” easily and as quietly as possible.

That said, it may be easier to just slide the stand out of the space between the frame and the bag, then keep the pack together and hang that in the tree instead of just the bag. I would like to avoid an excess of straps, but I’m having trouble visualizing exactly how I can secure the stand while also facilitating getting it out, all quietly and often in the dark. It seems that all the manufacturers have a slightly different configuration of straps, buckles, clips, etc.

I know there are guys doing this currently - I’m hoping I can shorten my learning curve and benefit from other’s experience.

Anyone have ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirrels

WKR
I use an EXO 2000. I strap the stand and stick over the bag, not between the frame and bag. I don't carry a lot in so the bag isn't protruding from my back far enough to warrant putting the stand and sticks between the frame and bag. Much quicker unstrapping the stand and strapping it back up when done hunting.

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also thinking of going with an EXO next year. I'm in Wis. and hunt whitetails using an LW Assault and sticks (8.5lb ver). I am dabbling in saddle hunting and would like to find a good method for carrying sticks as well. The EXO seems to be a good compromise for a number of options, if I ever get out west i have a good pack, also would like one for home, then for hiking/go bag/etc.... my thoughts are a 3500, get the inner liner bag, that can be set up as a go bag gear, if you need the pack, just toss that in and out you go.

OP
L

LateRiser

FNG
I’ve seen that video before - it seemed to me that he didn’t really know what he was doing with it. Still had the Molle straps on the LW, and even said he hadn’t really figured out all the straps.

He also didn’t seem to know he could have purchased a frame for his Icon Pro and had essentially the same system.

But I agree - it’s a start. I’m just wondering if someone has a couple of seasons of doing this and has advice about what works and what doesn’t.

I thought about an Exo too, but I’m also looking at Stone Glacier, since I have a gift cert at Black Ovis that would cover it.

My biggest question is whether anyone has just left the frame and suspension of the pack strapped to the bottom of the stand while in the tree.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I drop my Lone Wolf into the Grab-It on my Kifaru T2 and put a strap across the diamond attachment loops. Works good.

elkyinzer

WKR
I've done it with my Mystery Ranch, but it's more of a hassle getting everything packed up just right than it's worth. Functionally the MOLLE system just works much smoother for me, unless like you said, you truly are just looking for excuses to use an expensive pack more as opposed to an actual upgrade in comfort or functionality. Not to mention it is redundant since the treestand is essentially a frame with the upgraded components i.e. the MOLLE upgrade.

What REALLY needs to happen is that some treestand company or a new outfit needs to design the ultimate mobile treestand and either team with, or get input from a high end backpack company. Perfect mobile treeestand + built in suspension. You could lop a pound or three off the Assault easy with some smarter engineering and make the platform narrower for better carrying through brush. Where the pack maker comes in is build a better suspension. When the best thing currently out there is DIY McGyvering surplus military junk onto the stand, you know there is a market there begging for improvement. Add some contours to the botttom of the stand if you have to for comfort. Ability to pack meat with your treestand as a pack frame essentially too. It has to happen.

Gobbler

FNG
A few random thoughts not in any order, using my Kifaru frame for reference but this should mostly apply to all packs where bag and frame separate. Carrying a stand with a frame and pack is infinitely more comfortable than a molle belt and straps on the platform. The Kifaru frame sheet is roughly 11" wide by 22/24/26" tall so the stand platform is wider and probably taller than the frame. If your pack is full and you attach the stand/sticks in back of that, the weight will feel heavier the further it gets away from your back and potentially make you feel out of balance. Depends how much stuff you bring out. When I have brought a stand I prefer to drop it in from the top between frame and bag. I bring a dry bag full of layers carried in the same space. Then a bag with day hunt gear compressing that to the frame. Sounds complicated but it's really simple. You can run compression straps on all four sides of the bag but you only need three sides (no straps on top). And to get your stand/layers out then button it back up to hunt you only loosen/tighten the upper two straps. Or use SR buckles on all connections, take seconds regardless. Solid. I carry sticks on the sides secured by the same compression straps but they may need to wrap around the back a bit to keep from hitting your stand. Continuing with Kifaru as the example I've seen it work equally well with a bag alone, a bag with meat shelf, a grab-it between bag and frame, and a cargo panel with a few pockets outside for gear. All personal preference. Good luck hope you give it a try.

And to answer the next question, don't even think about trying to make all this scent free

Last edited:
OP
L

LateRiser

FNG
Thanks for the replies.

I've done the Molle thing, and while it is simpler and easier, it's just so uncomfortable after a couple miles. I completely agree that someone should come up with an integrated hang and hunt stand/suspension, but then again we probably overestimate how many of us there are. I keep running into permanent ladder stands 2 miles back...

In my ideal scenario, I'm hoping I can combine an SG X-curve frame with my assault platform on a semi-permanent basis, have a few clips for the bag, compression strap the sticks, and go. Then pull the sticks off, leave the bag and bow at the bottom of the tree on paracord attached to my RC harness, climb the tree with the stand on my back, hang it, then pull the bag and bow up.

I'm thinking SG because of the curved frame and my own physique, as well as weight. But If EXO or Kifaru or MR or even KUIU had buckles in better spots or something, I'd probably do that. Without buying all of them and testing, I have no idea.

And Gobbler - any of us that walk a few miles to hunt know that scent control isn't an option, even if it did work (ie, I don't think scent-free exists anyway).

edit: the SR buckle thing is a really good point. I know Kifaru is endlessly adjustable in that regard, so maybe that's a point for them. It sucks to have to re-thread load lifters and compression straps in the dark.

oldgoat

WKR
There was a post on Kifaru Insiders on Facebook, guy just carabiniered the stand to the top of the frame and used a compression strap or two to stabilize it. You can tie a loop of Paracord to the stand to hook the carabineer too.

FlyGuy

WKR
This isn't a lone wolf, but it's a MUCH heavier Muddy hang on stand and sticks (plus 2 cheapo (really heavy) extensions), riding on the Reckoning with grab it. Pulled it down yesterday afternoon. I didnt weigh it, but ridiculously heavy. Couldn't lift the bag up into my shoulder, had to sit down on the ground to strap in. Carried surprisingly well once I got to my feet. Only had about a mile to the truck.
118253f525918b2b71274e4ba812fef3.jpg
5e20ced655b1f6699180481266c054c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

i've done it about every way you can think of using high end packs from kifaru, stone glacier, and mystery ranch using my lonewolf hand climber. for shorter hikes in now i prefer just to put it on the back of the pack and use a grab-it and lashing strap. you don't have to take anything apart when you get to the tree, just pull it out and up you go.
for longer hikes in, putting it right up against the frame is nice. the cargo panel is great for carrying stuff like this but you need extra pockets and kind of lacks for organization. i've used the stone glacier system with stand between the bag and frame and that worked out really well too. my stand fits perfectly down in the meatshelf built into the krux frame and the straps on their bags are setup so you can tighten down the load shelf without compressing the bag. for what you're doing a solo 3300 would probably work really well if you're thinking stone glacier. i swapped out the ladderlocs on the over the top straps for quick release buckles so i could get the stand in and out easier.
if you like the molle system and having the straps permanently attached to the stand, another thing i've messed around with is just zip tying my duplex frame right the platform of my climber and carrying a smaller, lightweight backpack hung off the back. it's really comfortable and you can use any backpack that might be better suited for hanging in the tree and keeping you organized.

After carrying all my crap with a kifaru frame I decided to make it a dedicated combo. It’s an older frame i picked up at a decent price and I love it!

f1ec2c11426a84834c52e16919a1d321.jpg

1def8ac0c44fcb55ef855f8760341b3c.jpg

4bab20a6e767e6e8467058ab6b41dc14.jpg

OP
L

LateRiser

FNG
Awesome. I knew some guys had this pretty dialed.

Mathews, how did you attach the frame to the stand base? Looks 2 like vertical webbing straps connected at each end and then held down in the middle?

Did you try it with the stand facing the other way (teeth up)? I know guys worry about injury with that, but it does carry a little better, IMO.

But I’m wondering if that was a comfort or tactical thing, or just safety.

Awesome. I knew some guys had this pretty dialed.

Mathews, how did you attach the frame to the stand base? Looks 2 like vertical webbing straps connected at each end and then held down in the middle?

Did you try it with the stand facing the other way (teeth up)? I know guys worry about injury with that, but it does carry a little better, IMO.

But I’m wondering if that was a comfort or tactical thing, or just safety.

Yea the stand is just attached with some 1" webbing i got on ebay and some metal clips. Ive also used large zip ties before to get it extra tight but this year i just ran the straps and it did fine. I didnt try it with the serrated side up but im sure it can be done. My reasoning for this was to keep the belt close to the tree, to make them a little less obvious if they blow around in the wind.

I tied a little loop into the stand platform and loop it over the batwing when climbing so the seat doesnt flip while trying to hang it. You can see the black loop in the bottom picture.

Deepshax

WKR
I stopped using the grab-it and found it easier/faster/just as secure to run the compression straps through the LW hand climber/hang-on platform to the outside of the pack.

boom

WKR
that's the single beauty of a hunting pack. multiple points you can lash stuff. there is no ONE single way to tie a bow to my pack. i guarantee a deer stand is the same way. i simply put my pack on the ground, lay whatever i want lashed on on top..give it a look and start connecting straps.

i carried a friggen fiberglass ladder into the woods a few times..just so i could get a game camera up into a tree away from thieves. i looked stupid. but (knock on wood), i have not lost a camera in 3 years.

OP
L

LateRiser

FNG
that's the single beauty of a hunting pack. multiple points you can lash stuff. there is no ONE single way to tie a bow to my pack. i guarantee a deer stand is the same way. i simply put my pack on the ground, lay whatever i want lashed on on top..give it a look and start connecting straps.

i carried a friggen fiberglass ladder into the woods a few times..just so i could get a game camera up into a tree away from thieves. i looked stupid. but (knock on wood), i have not lost a camera in 3 years.

Haha. You need a single climbing stick. Way lighter and smaller, and with an aider loop or two you can get a camera 10’ up easily.

One last monkey wrench I’m going to throw out there for this - anyone used a Kuiu pack?

It occurred to me that the small carbon frame might be the easiest of all the packs to leave attached to the stand. But from what I can tell, the straps to attach the frame to the bag are buckles that go directly to the bag - is that right?

Brendan

WKR
I've attached my lone wolf stands to my EMRII, Fulcrum, and 22 Mag. Horizontal compression straps make it real easy.

I prefer that to a dedicated frame for the stand because I'm always carrying some gear with me.

Even used my EMRII to haul a full sized ladder stand out when I was setting it up.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've done the MOLLE hipbelt and harness on a LW stand and it was better than stock, but not good by any means. There are a couple routes I'd go here.

First, buy an inexpensive external frame and ziptie it permanently to the stand. The Kelty Cache Hauler is a good candidate - good comfort, not too much money.

Second, get a higher end pack that can be your do-all. This is currently my route, using a Revolution and Peregrine, stand between frame and packbag.