Stone Glacier X-Curve Hip Belt Pressure Points

I recently got a X-Curve frame and Sky 5900. This isn't my first rodeo with high end, weight bearing packs. But it is my first experience with this frame. My extent of testing this frame is that I walked around the house yesterday evening and this morning with 50 lbs in the load shelf. Right away I could feel extra pressure on the front of my hips, right where the 2" webbing is sewn onto the hip belt. Its the only spot I can feel. I tried adjusting the height of where the belt sits on my hips and also tried adjusting the top and bottom tension straps on the hip belt, which didn't seem to make a difference. I adjusted the torso height a few times as well, but pretty much had that dialed on my first attempt. I can't get this thing to be comfortable and now my hips are pretty tender, and this is only after walking around the house with a normal amount of weight. I really want this bag to work, but I'm not very convinced that it will as of now. My brother has an Exo and that hip belt is more comfortable on me, that may be because the exo belt is taller and a little more flexible. For reference about body type, I'm 5'10" 175 lbs with a 32" waist. I have the medium belt. Anyone else experience this discomfort on the front of the hips or have any tips on how to adjust this belt better to relieve the pressure points? If I can't figure this out then my next step will be to try the new Evo frame, as that belt is just slightly different.

Little side note, Stone Glaciers customer service is amazing. I called them today and they were very helpful, although I still havent resolved the fit yet.

bmart2622

WKR
That happens to me after a long heavy pack but it does it with all packs as well. I wonder if you dont need the curved stays and that.is causing pressure on your hips? I do know that the guys at SG are awesome and will make it work for you somehow.

i would think they would know best. possibly its the stays. ask if replacing with the krux is an option and maybe that might be a fix for your body type. if after whatever they are telling to try isnt not working id probably return it (hopefully its within the 30 days). i wouldnt try to fit a square peg into a round hole, these packs are a lot of money no sense in keeping it if you dont have complete confidence and comfort. load up your bros exo and compare it and if you like that better then id get one of those.

i agree they do have excellent customer service

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
A couple thoughts to try. 1. I like my hip bone just above the stitch line that runs through the middle of the belt. 2. It varies on different packs but for the xcurve I tighten the belt then the lower tension strap and then the upper tension strap. That’s with no weight. 3. Play around with the lumbar pad and the foam inside of it. 4. I doubt you have the wrong belt as I’m the same waist and weight and have a medium also. 5. Double check that your load sling is tight to the frame.

I will say I got some discomfort but nothing crazy with about 50lbs. That was on a hike in some tricky terrain but I didn’t get that with 50lbs pacing my basement.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
MuledeerMike,
If you could shoot me an email at [email protected] there a a couple of different adjustments we can make to get help you get to the fit you need. 50 pounds should not cause discomfort, I am confident that I can help with the fit. Feel free to call or text at the number below as well if that is more convenient , I am travelling tomorrow but will get back to you as soon as I am back in service.
Best,
Kurt
406-531-7506

OP
MuleDeerMike
I spoke with Kurt over the phone. We came to the conclusion that the very front point of my hip bones are perfectly in the worst spot for where the belt contacts my hips. Sounds like bad luck haha. They're going to do a custom modification to a belt for me to hopefully eliminate the pressure points and discomfort. Kurt was very optimistic that this would solve the issue, and after speaking with him for a while last night, I am as well. Thanks again, Kurt!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I spoke with Kurt over the phone. We came to the conclusion that the very front point of my hip bones are perfectly in the worst spot for where the belt contacts my hips. Sounds like bad luck haha. They're going to do a custom modification to a belt for me to hopefully eliminate the pressure points and discomfort. Kurt was very optimistic that this would solve the issue, and after speaking with him for a while last night, I am as well. Thanks again, Kurt!

Wow! Custom modification, that’s customer service for ya! I’be never needed that kind of help from stone glacier but sure is nice to how above and beyond they go.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
And.....that’s why you buy a high end pack :)
Good news for sure, let us know how you turn out (might help someone in the future considering the same issue)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurt has modified both a Krux and an Xframe belt for me to find the right fit. Both times turned out perfect

OP
MuleDeerMike
UPDATE: I received the new custom belt from SG a while back but wanted to take it for a couple different test hikes before posting again here. I actually ended up swapping the X-Curve for the new Krux EVO since I wanted the new frame instead and Kurt still did the modified belt for me. My waist is a 32 but with the weird pressure point issue I was having they took a large belt and cut back some of the foam and sewed the webbing back on. Looking at the belt, it looks completely normal and you can't tell. It's now a medium belt on steroids with minimal webbing available after tightening it down. This allowed me to be able to tighten the webbing portion of the belt down tight enough for my waist while moving the point where I was getting discomfort to be further around toward the front of my hips, which eliminated the pressure point all together. So basically, the belt is almost all foam now with very minimal webbing, which I like a lot. I've tested with my normal camp weight of 50 Lbs as well as 30 and my day pack stuff which is probably 15ish. This is by far the most comfortable pack I've ever used and the lumbar/belt doesn't budge an inch while hiking. I'm very impressed with it. I know it's cliche to say, but when hiking with my day pack gear, I can hardly tell the pack is on my back. And 50 Lbs feels great. It's substantially better than previous packs I have used. Thanks again Stone Glacier and if anyone is in the market for a new pack, I highly recommend you check this company out.

frankrb3

WKR
I am really happy with my Stone Glacier products and the customer service that comes with them. Glad to hear they took care of you as well.

slim9300

WKR
That happens to me after a long heavy pack but it does it with all packs as well. I wonder if you dont need the curved stays and that.is causing pressure on your hips? I do know that the guys at SG are awesome and will make it work for you somehow.

In my opinion if this is happening you have a fitment issue or a poor belt design. You should be able to carry a pack all day without hotspots. Fatigue can’t be helped but hot spots are a problem. It takes me weeks of using a new frame daily with 60-80 pounds before I can get it adjusted perfectly but have only been able to do that with Kifaru’s stuff. I almost bought an X-Curve but then Kifaru released their new frame. I really wanted to try one but it’s hard to justify the switch with the new specs. Maybe in a few months.

slim9300

WKR

Pretty impressive service right there. Curious to hear how it goes.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I recently got a X-Curve frame and Sky 5900. This isn't my first rodeo with high end, weight bearing packs. But it is my first experience with this frame. My extent of testing this frame is that I walked around the house yesterday evening and this morning with 50 lbs in the load shelf. Right away I could feel extra pressure on the front of my hips, right where the 2" webbing is sewn onto the hip belt. Its the only spot I can feel. I tried adjusting the height of where the belt sits on my hips and also tried adjusting the top and bottom tension straps on the hip belt, which didn't seem to make a difference. I adjusted the torso height a few times as well, but pretty much had that dialed on my first attempt. I can't get this thing to be comfortable and now my hips are pretty tender, and this is only after walking around the house with a normal amount of weight. I really want this bag to work, but I'm not very convinced that it will as of now. My brother has an Exo and that hip belt is more comfortable on me, that may be because the exo belt is taller and a little more flexible. For reference about body type, I'm 5'10" 175 lbs with a 32" waist. I have the medium belt. Anyone else experience this discomfort on the front of the hips or have any tips on how to adjust this belt better to relieve the pressure points? If I can't figure this out then my next step will be to try the new Evo frame, as that belt is just slightly different.

Little side note, Stone Glaciers customer service is amazing. I called them today and they were very helpful, although I still havent resolved the fit yet.

Get a small belt. I have heard this before of the belt rubbing. Usually if you size down in the belt it will take the rubbing away. Or like someone else said on here try removing some of the foam. That may help as well.