Had to do it. Trying out a KUIU ICON PRO

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kuiu makes great products all around. Their packs are no different. Sure they had some growing pains with some of their stuff, but it has been worked out. The pack bags are truly laid out very well for the hunter who likes their gear organized without having to buys extra pockets and stash bags to do so. I have tried just about every bag out there and known of them make 80 pounds feel like 40 pounds, unless you take 40 pounds out! I am sure you will love the pack and the weight savings.

JP100

WKR
Do you speak from experience?

yep.
Used one for a couple of seasons and thought is was good, and it was pretty good, under heavy weight I think the kifaru I have now is more comfortable.

The main issue I have had is with the small plastics disks that hod the harness onto the frame, have had these pull clean out of the shoulder straps, and constant twisting so the shoulder straps pop off the frame. pretty annoying and I have seen ALOT of the packs with this twisting issue.
My carbon frame also is bent and twisted, didnt notice it untill I took everything apart

OP
N

Nuke Man

WKR
I highly doubt it's going to fall apart. But go ahead, and finish your koolaid....

I've yet to find any bag layout from any of the main pack companies that I like more than the Icon Pros. The 1850 is the perfect day pack.

PredatorX

WKR
I'm not sure I'd really put a whole lot of value on the ease of swapping out bags. I'm into kifaru more for the durability of it. All have some tradeoffs I guess.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

sojourner

Lil-Rokslider
yep.
Used one for a couple of seasons and thought is was good, and it was pretty good, under heavy weight I think the kifaru I have now is more comfortable.

I think saying that it will "fall apart at the start of a weeklong hunt" is quite the exaggeration when even your own experience was that it was pretty good for you over the couple seasons you used it.

LaHunter

WKR
yep.

The main issue I have had is with the small plastics disks that hod the harness onto the frame, have had these pull clean out of the shoulder straps, and constant twisting so the shoulder straps pop off the frame. pretty annoying and I have seen ALOT of the packs with this twisting issue.
My carbon frame also is bent and twisted, didnt notice it untill I took everything apart

Not doubting your personal experience. I have had an Icon Pro since they first came out, about 2014, and mine has not failed. The little plastic tabs on the back of the shoulder straps will pull out if you position the straps too high on the frame, due to the angle of the strap curving up and over your shoulders. I am no carbon/graphite expert by any means, but I have always been under the impression that carbon wouldn't take a permanent bend, it was usually as it was made or broken / cracked, like carbon arrows. If your frame is bad, return it.
Just because your Kifaru works better for you doesn't mean a Kuiu Icon Pro can't be a good pack for the OP.
I just received a MR Guide Light / Metcalf that I ordered. I plan to try it out this year, thinking it could be a better pack for me, but that doesn't mean I now think my Icon Pro is junk, I just think the MR may be better for me.

PredatorX

WKR
Is everything Kuiu made in china? Or just clothing?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think I believe the Kuiu frame "bent" and "twisted." The material itself doesn't lend itself to do that. Sure you can twist it and bend it with your hands, but then it returns to its original position. The only failure that frame could have would be it cracking, splitting or breaking. And even those failures are far and few with the latest versions of their frames.

OP
N

Nuke Man

WKR
I just wanted to give the pack a fair review. All too often especially out here in the Midwest I have alot of people asking me recommendations on packs. Most guys scoff at the idea of dropping a house payment on a pack. If the Kuiu Icon Pro holds up, I would gladly recommend it. I plan on trying out an EXO also.

CoHiCntry

WKR
Wow, house payments must be cheap in the midwest! I’m thinking of picking up a new Icon 1850 and also the Exo 2000 to compare both to my current setup of a kifaru duplex and cargo panel with large belt pouches attached. Will see...

For guys wanting to try the 1850, the full kit is available in their outlet right now for under $300, which is what the frame and suspension normally sells for without a bag. I’ve been hiking with mine this week with between 30 and 60 lbs in it and really like it so far.

One thing to keep in mind is that it is a lightweight pack designed for guys who want to carry the lightest weight possible. Not just what the pack weighs, but choosing lightweight gear to put in it as well. If you carry 50 lbs in it while hunting, then add a 70 lb elk ham, you might not be happy. If you carry 20 lbs in it and carry out a 50 lb shoulder out first, then come back without all your gear for the heavier loads, I’m sure it will be much more comfortable.

I don’t want to carry a 120 lb pack at 10,000 feet anyways. I also expect to spend far more time hunting than packing meat, so I’d rather it suck a little more at the end than the whole trip.

I have seen others experience the plastic T fitting on the straps being a weak point, if the pack is laying on its back and you pick it up by a strap, the plastic T bears the full weight of the pack pulling on it. There is a nylon webbing handle attached to the top of the frame, if you lift the pack by that instead and keep tension on the load lifter straps, the plastic T’s shouldn’t see a whole lot of force.

Last edited:
For guys wanting to try the 1850, the full kit is available in their outlet right now for under $300, which is what the frame and suspension normally sells for without a bag.

When I go there and check it, it says suspension only. Not "Full kit". So, if they have it right, then the suspension and belt is higher at the outlet then buying off normal prices.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I go there and check it, it says suspension only. Not "Full kit". So, if they have it right, then the suspension and belt is higher at the outlet then buying off normal prices.

I would call them on Monday. I was at the shop on Monday and they had a dozen or more 1850 full kits on hangers on an outlet rack.