Had to do it. Trying out a KUIU ICON PRO

When I go there and check it, it says suspension only. Not "Full kit". So, if they have it right, then the suspension and belt is higher at the outlet then buying off normal prices.

It’s possible they’ve sold out, I’m surprised it went as long as it did for $297

I ordered one and received it the other week. It was the pack, frame, and suspension. I was worried that whatever “adapter kit” they mentioned would be a pain, but it doesn’t seem to be. The bag disconnects with 8 quick release buckles and one metal clip, and there are no straps or anything else needed to use it as a load sling. It did come with some straps to use it without the frame, but not the internal stays that you slip in when going frameless. I called them yesterday and they shipped them out to me without question. The extra compression straps would also work well for attaching a sleeping bag or other bulk items to the bottom of the pack, as it has 4 unused webbing tabs on it.

Some people sure get worked up when anyone expresses they choose a KUIU pack. I love my Kifaru. I truly do. It's 'da bomb in my opinion for carrying heavy loads. It's 'da bomb for out west hunting where stuffing gear in a bag works. But, Kifaru's offerings do not currently suit everyone's needs better. Here's a news flash, there are BETTER designed bags for Whitetail hunting then what Kifaru offers. There are other companies that cater to people who don't want to buy 4 bags for designed use, or one huge one for all use. And, there are companies that chose to put organization in their designs, versus offering you the option of buying $75-200 worth of pockets and shipping, to Organize your pack. Nobody cares that a Kifaru can carrying 100 pounds better. Smart people realize a couple things. first, a small part of a successful hunt's time is actually spent hiking meat. The rest is spent hunting. And, nobody is carrying the heavy loads, with the frequency they proclaim on here.

OP, I just bought a KUIU 1850 full kit. For two reasons. First, my wife wants to go with me this year elk hunting. She is a small women and the packs I have, was going to have her packing 8 pounds before we ever loaded a thing in it. I was able to cut that in half right off the bat. 12 days of chasing elk in CO, that weight savings will be a big difference to her. And, just as important, will help ME. 5-6 miles a day for 12 days through the mountains has knees, feet, and most everything else a little raw. I don't need her attitude raw either. Plus, I put the full kit in my house for less then a frame from Kifaru. Second reason I did it is to use it for my day hunts here where I hike in and out a long ways, and have to pack my deer. The bag actually has organization built into it unlike anything that Kifaru offers. So, I'm anxiously awaiting mine as well. I'm sure it will do a fine job even though its a KUIU. God Bless

Last edited:
Kifaru 1850?? This is sinful. Kifaru and KUIU is night and day difference. These threads are beyond comical. Noway in hell a K*IU pack can take the abuse a Kifaru can.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Enough with the kuiu bashing. If you wish to give the OP some examples you personally had with these packs so he can keep an eye out for similar experiences, great that's constructive. Snide comments seething in hate towards kuiu are just immature and do nothing but degrade the integrity of this site. Knock it off and grow up. Keep things on track here, the op has a purpose and may or may not come to a bad opinion of these packs, but senselessly ridiculing his choice at the outset doesn't do anyone any good.

Live2hunt custom shelters

Freudian slip? :D

You have a cool wife bro. Awesome trip!

No slip. I actually almost bought a KUIU for myself when buying the Kifaru. For the reasons of organization. However, being I'm a pretty good hand with a sewing machine, I reasoned I would buy the Kifaru and just make me a bag that fit the bill. I never have though because I can't justify doing that when pods8 works so affordable on bags and pockets. I'm currently awaiting a bag from him that fits my hunter frame, that is a day hunter with a meat sling, Horseshoe zip, with 4(FOUR) external pockets, 2 of which are water bottle pockets, for my Kifaru frame. I got tired of digging through a pack organized by pullouts, while in a tree 20-25 foot up in the air, looking for a bow holder, screw in pack holder, call, spit bottle, water bottle, food, safety harness, light, etc..... Whitetail deer are not elk. They do look up and, have zero tolerance for a hillbilly digging around in his pack while 20-25 feet in the air. So, I may never use the KUIU. Time will tell. But, I need something that held gear where I could find it while treestand hunting

I hope. She's a tough women. However, Its been several years since having the blessing to be able to do this again. So, this is a mission. One in which I fully intend to kill an elk. At all costs. It might get ugly

Last edited:
Smart people realize a couple things. first, a small part of a successful hunt's time is actually spent hiking meat. The rest is spent hunting. And, nobody is carrying the heavy loads, with the frequency they proclaim on here.

Que the keyboard commando:

“I spent 7 full days of an 8 day hunt packing meat this year. Never even made it into the spot I was planning to actually go to before I shot my 1,000 lb elk on the first day, 12 miles from the truck, uphill both ways. When I came back after hauling the first of 6 150 lb loads, there was a bear at the carcass, so I had to shoot him and start packing him out also. I was just about done on day 5, but I spooked a moose when I was going to the bathroom. He charged at me, so I dropped him in self defense. Took another 3 days hauling him out. He was a big one, almost 2,000 lbs. I had so much meat in the back of my F-250 the leaf springs were bottomed out, but with my Kifaru pack it felt like I was only carrying 2 pillows the whole time.

It would have been a lot easier job if my hunting partner had been with me, but his KUIU pack completely fell apart when we filled our water bladders at the trailhead, so he just turned around and went home. Dang piece of junk couldn’t handle carrying 2L of water.”;)

Some people sure get worked up when anyone expresses they choose a KUIU pack. I love my Kifaru. I truly do. It's 'da bomb in my opinion for carrying heavy loads. It's 'da bomb for out west hunting where stuffing gear in a bag works. But, Kifaru's offerings do not currently suit everyone's needs better. Here's a news flash, there are BETTER designed bags for Whitetail hunting then what Kifaru offers. There are other companies that cater to people who don't want to buy 4 bags for designed use, or one huge one for all use. And, there are companies that chose to put organization in their designs, versus offering you the option of buying $75-200 worth of pockets and shipping, to Organize your pack. Nobody cares that a Kifaru can carrying 100 pounds better. Smart people realize a couple things. first, a small part of a successful hunt's time is actually spent hiking meat. The rest is spent hunting. And, nobody is carrying the heavy loads, with the frequency they proclaim on here.

OP, I just bought a KUIU 1850 full kit. For two reasons. First, my wife wants to go with me this year elk hunting. She is a small women and the packs I have, was going to have her packing 8 pounds before we ever loaded a thing in it. I was able to cut that in half right off the bat. 12 days of chasing elk in CO, that weight savings will be a big difference to her. And, just as important, will help ME. 5-6 miles a day for 12 days through the mountains has knees, feet, and most everything else a little raw. I don't need her attitude raw either. Plus, I put the full kit in my house for less then a frame from Kifaru. Second reason I did it is to use it for my day hunts here where I hike in and out a long ways, and have to pack my deer. The bag actually has organization built into it unlike anything that Kifaru offers. So, I'm anxiously awaiting mine as well. I'm sure it will do a fine job even though its a KUIU. God Bless

My wife has been using a IP 3200 for 3 seasons now and never has she complained about the pack. She used it this past year to pack a 37# and 57# load of elk each 5 miles the sme night. The only thing she complained about, was not being able to feel her ankles for 2 weeks.LOL

PredatorX

WKR
I think it kind of sucks that the kuiu outlet items are not covered under warranty. That's a lot of money for a daypack.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I just wanted to give the pack a fair review. All too often especially out here in the Midwest I have alot of people asking me recommendations on packs. Most guys scoff at the idea of dropping a house payment on a pack. If the Kuiu Icon Pro holds up, I would gladly recommend it. I plan on trying out an EXO also.

I think this is where you said it was a fair review. And to be fair, you loaded the 40, then took some out for the walk around the backyard. None of which matters a bit. I started backpacking a while ago, and went from Gregory packs to Dana Design packs. My wife went from mountain smith to Dana Design. I’ve carried mystery ranch these last 10 years. None of that is keyboard warrioring or posturing, I’m not claiming to be hardcore- only that I’m 40 and grew up backpacking. My point is that MR and Kifaru are backpack companies, that both come from a longstanding legacy of continuously developing and improving personal load carrying systems. Kuiu is a company that markets lifestyle wear. I know which packs I personally take more seriously, and why I say “look at these” vs “look at those” but I can’t muster any real hate about it. I think if your kifaru is causing you comfort issues as you mentioned with light loads- you might consider looking at MR or possibly considering getting someone to help adjust your kifaru for fit. I find it difficult to imagine that it gets more comfortable as you load it up.

I also recognize that for you the kuiu isn’t supposed to replace he kifaru but supplement its capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Diesel

WKR

I too am looking for a whitetail/bear day pack for treestand hunting and tracking. I want organization for the reasons you noted as well. I would very rarely need to pack out a kill here in Pa. so I don't need meat hauling nor the weight or bulk of most of Kifaru setups. I never have much more than 7 or 8 lbs in contents, it's the organization that has the priority.

But, I have been looking hard at the Kifaru's Urban Zippy to have the organization and size, maybe with the Omni frame and a lock & load. Just a thought, take a look and see if it would do what you want. The main point of a treestand pack is to limit movement via accessible organization.

Also rumor has it that Kifaru is looking to bring out a whitetail specific pack this spring called the Urban Ruck. I want to see what that looks like before I make the decision.

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
I've said this many times on here, but I'll say it again. I have a Kuiu IP 3200, a Kifaru and an Exo 2000. I do think that the Kifaru is the superior meat hauler but for most of the hunts I do I grab the Kuiu. I have hauled elk with it over 100 pounds and it handled it just fine. I'm not sure if it is a better overall pack than Kifaru, but it is definitely better in many ways and it's about half the price if you get it on sale. I'm not a fanboy of any brand, I just love to buy everything and use what I feel works best.

Sent from my Galaxy s7 via the U.S. Postal Service

IdahoElk

WKR
Kifaru 1850?? This is sinful. Kifaru and KUIU is night and day difference. These threads are beyond comical. Noway in hell a K*IU pack can take the abuse a Kifaru can.

Yeah but your pack is twice the weight and price,I would expect it to be different.

Dusty2426

WKR
Had a kuiu for 5 years zero issues. “Upgraded” to kifaru reckoning last month. Went on my first aoudad hunt (go to sheep thread and see “free range Texas aoudad”) and broke load leveler buckle on pack out. So don’t be so damn sure!

OP
N

Nuke Man

WKR
Ok so just to get this straight. I put 40 lbs in to fit the pack. To fit it! Not to do some Internet review. I know damn well you can't judge a pack with that weight. From all the negative nancy's on the slide I was fully expecting the pack to arrive as a major piece of crap. It's really a solid pack as far as materials and workmanship. The bag and lid in my opinion is way better than any kifaru I've had as far as organization goes.
The fair review will be after I've hauled some real weight and after I've actually used the pack for a while.

OP
N

Nuke Man

WKR
Had a kuiu for 5 years zero issues. “Upgraded” to kifaru reckoning last month. Went on my first aoudad hunt (go to sheep thread and see “free range Texas aoudad”) and broke load leveler buckle on pack out. So don’t be so damn sure!

Gasp! Saying that on the Slide is worse than having dirt on the Clintons. Better watch your 6 man! ;)

Dusty2426

WKR
Gasp! Saying that on the Slide is worse than having dirt on the Clintons. Better watch your 6 man! ;)

I’m good can handle my own I love my new kifaru. Loved my kuiu. If folks would just go with the old phrase “you do you” they would see that it’s different stokes for different folks. Simple solution is get what works for you and get outside and live!!

But, cognitive dissonance. So prevalent on this form.

I dot know why Kifaru wont make a bag like the Icon. I suppose its because then they wouldn't sell all the pockets or multiple bags to customers.