New packs ordered

BG775

FNG
A buddy and I each ordered a pack today. A SG 5900 sky and a SO broadwing. We’re planning on loading both up with 80lbs and see which fits each better. Hopefully we get lucky and each keep one without having to ship either back. I’m really jacked about moving up to one of the high end packs.

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I just placed my order for an EXO 2000, super jacked about getting it! This next 2 - 4 weeks is going to feel like forever...

OP
B

BG775

FNG
Seek Outside Broadwing- I ordered the lid for some additional organization.
Pros
- The gate keepers are awesome. They give a lot of flexibility without having unused buckles everywhere. I also like that I can replace one in the field if I break it.
- The belt is really nice and transfers the weight well. I had no issues with it slipping. I do prefer it with the lumbar pad.
- Very easy to adjust.
- The roll top eats up the excess fabric and keeps everything very neat.
- The frame really does move with you. When turning around or looking over my shoulder, it is far less restrictive.

Cons
- The fabric is pretty noisy, like a plastic bag. It doesn't really bother me since I drop my pack before sneaking on an animal.
- The end of the shoulder harness has a seam that is poking me right in the ribs. SO customer has been great trying to help me and is sending me a new harness to try. I will provide an update when received.

OP
B

BG775

FNG
SG 5900 Sky
Pros
- Very comfortable all the way around.
- The power pulls on the belt really make it easy to cinch it down.
- I like the bag layout. The center zip pocket for a spotter is perfect.
- Lumbar pad has a non slip material that definitely keeps the belt in place.

Cons
- Getting the bag off the frame to use the meat shelf was a little complicated. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if I were more familiar with it.
- For me, the lumbar pad put a little too much pressure in my lower back. I'm sure that could be solved by taking out some of the padding as it's meant to be for customization.

OP
B

BG775

FNG
Neither of us have any experience with higher end packs, so please excuse any dumb or ignorant comments. I'm 5'9" 210. Both were tested with 75lbs of weight on the meat shelf. I'm amazed how both light both of them are. Customer service for both companies has been awesome.

In the end, I decided on the SO and my buddy went with the SG. They really both awesome packs, and you certainly can't go wrong with either. I really had a hard time deciding. There are a few details I really like of each.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Leebob

FNG
Thank you for the reviews! Regarding the SO, can you compress the main bag material down in between the pockets to make things a little quieter? The stiffness of the X PAC material and hence the potential noise is the biggest concern I’ve had about these packs.

OP
B

BG775

FNG
When the compressed and the main bag is empty, you pretty much down to the side pockets. I've really only noticed the noise when I'm messing around with the bag. I suppose if you really thick aspens or something like that, the it could make some more noise. I'm hoping to get out in the backcountry on the snow this weekend. I'll report back about the noise during use.

OP
B

BG775

FNG
I did, but I didn’t have the pack very well adjusted when I tried them. That said, they definitely change the angle on the load lifters and get the weight off your shoulders. Worth the few extra $ in my opinion

OP
B

BG775

FNG
Quick update. SO worked with me on the harness and sent me a replacement. It fixed the issue I was having. Took the pack backcountry snowboarding with about 40 lbs. Ciuldnt be happier. Very comfortable and moved well with me while I was riding.

Quick update. SO worked with me on the harness and sent me a replacement. It fixed the issue I was having. Took the pack backcountry snowboarding with about 40 lbs. Ciuldnt be happier. Very comfortable and moved well with me while I was riding.
Do you have any good pics of this in action? Or any pics with a cinched down load when you are using for shorter trips?

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Congrats on your new SO. Most COMFORTABLE pack I have ever owned. Xpac is not 500d but never has it cost me an animal. It is however light and keeps my gear dry. It also does not absorb water and add weight like every other pack.

And also, for someone who wants xpac, it is hard to understand why one would even consider the new kifaru muskeg. I have alot of respect for that company but just comparing the muskeg to SO, the muskeg is about the unsexiest pack I have ever seen, plus very expensive. I have yet to try the SO frame, but I will eventually.

Kotaman

WKR
And also, for someone who wants xpac, it is hard to understand why one would even consider the new kifaru muskeg. I have alot of respect for that company but just comparing the muskeg to SO, the muskeg is about the unsexiest pack I have ever seen, plus very expensive. I have yet to try the SO frame, but I will eventually.

This is where opinions differ...While I have no use for the Muskeg Pack from Kifaru, I think it looks AWESOME. I love the two tone colors and the combination of XPac and 500D. Different strokes for different folks...