Exo vs. Kifaru normal guy shootout

chops24

WKR
I’m a normal guy. I wish I could hunt more. Love being outdoors, and love good, quality gear. Here goes nothing. I finally bought a used Exo 3500 to compare to my 24” duplex with AMR. I have no complaints with my Kifaru setup that I’ve been using for the last year and a half but I’m not the type to just leave well enough alone.

I’m on an evasion exercise culminating in a helicopter recovery that I will be taking the exo on tomorrow and then upon return to base I’m headed to my Barbary sheep hunt for the weekend, and will likely be barb hunting the rest of February right into shed season. I will be taking both packs to test how I like each. I have a ruck marathon in March that I will be doing 26.2 miles with 35 lbs in the pack that I end up liking more and will likely sell the other.

I read more than I post normally but since I haven’t seen a thread like this prior to now, I figured I’d start one of my own.

Both packs obviously scream quality and comfort but I plan on putting them through their paces to see what I like best. Come along for the ride.

1c3928d256398591155cba8f09c773dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’m a normal guy. I wish I could hunt more. Love being outdoors, and love good, quality gear. Here goes nothing. I finally bought a used Exo 3500 to compare to my 24” duplex with AMR. I have no complaints with my Kifaru setup that I’ve been using for the last year and a half but I’m not the type to just leave well enough alone.

I’m on an evasion exercise culminating in a helicopter recovery that I will be taking the exo on tomorrow and then upon return to base I’m headed to my Barbary sheep hunt for the weekend, and will likely be barb hunting the rest of February right into shed season. I will be taking both packs to test how I like each. I have a ruck marathon in March that I will be doing 26.2 miles with 35 lbs in the pack that I end up liking more and will likely sell the other.

I read more than I post normally but since I haven’t seen a thread like this prior to now, I figured I’d start one of my own.

Both packs obviously scream quality and comfort but I plan on putting them through their paces to see what I like best. Come along for the ride.

1c3928d256398591155cba8f09c773dc.jpg

the simplicity of the exo is hard to beat..... i will be ordering a second 5500, the original pack i obtained summer 2014 has proven itself for my usage. great pack, good luck with your journey.

colersu22

WKR
Should be a K2 grams since it is ranger green. Thanks for doing this review, it should help out new people that are looking at a pack purchase.

OP
C

chops24

WKR
Correct K2 I like the bag and definitely like the simplicity vs the Kifaru but damn, that Kifaru carry’s great. Heading out now

colersu22

WKR
If you decide you like the Kifaru frame better than the K2 it is really easy to put the exo bag on the Kifaru frame.

OP
C

chops24

WKR
4f7d6b33a18d09d7386ee05657171a8d.jpg

Our ride is here.

Initial impression is damn that bag is comfortable super simple nothing to really adjust but the waist and I only have about 20 pounds in it so I will be doing weight this weekend, but the frame itself is a lot taller than my 24 inch Kifaru and I like the positive contact of the lumbar pad on the Exo

Rhino

FNG
I’ve been running the Kifaru duplex in 26” for a couple years and love the frame, truly no complaints. I can say that Kifaru bags are bulletproof, but honestly there is a weight penalty for that. They could truly drop some weight and fabric or lighter cordura and still be just as reasonably bulletproof. I’ve used the Exo K2 and 2000/5500 bags and I’m very impressed! I love the simplicity of the exo bags and the frame carry’s weight as well as the duplex imo and is “comfy”. Now, that’s a debatable thing, but after training for TTH, running with weight, I was impressed with the exo. Loaded up with Camp and a deer, the exo is as comfortable as any pack in that scenario... all that to say, I sold my Kifaru pack setup and have a new 18’ frame and 5500 on the way to me Like all gear, folks will say this ones the best and that one sucks... well, with some gear, that’s absolutely true!! With Exo and Kifaru, to each their own as they are both solid packs!

That AMR is a killer bag, one of my favorites. I have had many different ones tried them, sold them, but I keep coming back to the AMR.
The duplex is a great frame and I have that big AMR on a 26". The 24" will do it no problem, but fully loaded the extra 2" of frame height help when the pack is loaded all the way to the top, as it keeps the load a bit more stable.

Interested to see your findings.

OP
C

chops24

WKR
Off to sheep Camp! My plan is to have my buddy where my Kifaru I wear the exo for one day and then we swap so I can get his opinion too

Randle

WKR
Sounds like great comp. I went thru this awhile ago, but not side by side , day after day . Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
Is the ruck marathon that you're doing in March the Bataan Memorial Death March?

OP
C

chops24

WKR
daf1a355fdbda96cc0a96b1b5192a781.jpg

Got some late afternoon glassing in. Very comfortable fit. Love the side pockets