Exo K2 or 26" Kifaru Duplex for longish torso?

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
Looking hard at packs. I am interested in Exo and Kifaru. I have a slightly long torso, at 21. I am wondering how much of a difference there might be with the 1" difference in frame heights between the Exo K2 (25") and a 26" Kifaru Duplex. To level with you, I prefer the Exo, but the only thing holding me back is the concern that the shorter frame might leave me with load lifters that don't do all that much under heavier weight, given my torso length. That is pretty much a deal breaker for me, and would turn me completely to the Duplex. Anyone with a similar torso length have experience with the K2 packing 80 to 120 lbs? Or better yet, similar torso length and experience packing heavy weight with both frames?

For other reference, I am 6'1, 195, with a 33 inch waist.

IMO a 25" frame won't be enough for a 21" torso, but at 6'1" you must have a pretty short inseam (like 30" or shorter) to have a 21" torso. Kifaru doesn't trust people's torso measurements since so many people do it wrong so they always ask for your inseam.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I am 6'2" with a legitimate 31" inseam. I am all torso. While I am much more "full" in the build department than you are (280lbs) the 26" duplex works great for me. I do not have any experience with an Exo, so take it for what it is worth...

Good luck in your search, and I hope someone with similar measurements can help you with some Exo experience.

aion2come

WKR
You'll want the Kifaru if you are carrying weight. I have the same measurements as you and own both. I take the Exo when weight won't be a factor, and the Kifaru when it is. I've also read somewhere in these forums that Kifaru will make a 28" frame if you request it. I could be wrong on that though.

OP
B

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the responses and experience. Extremely helpful. I will have a chance to check out the Exo in detail at the Hunt Expo in Salt Lake this week, and will also connect with Dayna from Kifaru to check out her pack. A buddy just got a Kifaru and I'll try his pack this weekend to get some hands-on experience. Kifaru is sounding more likely, which I don't mind one bit.

Inseam is 30 on slacks, but 32 on jeans, with a little left at the bottom. Maybe my short legs explain why I never ran all that fast...

The long torso thing is a bit of a pain. Just finding tee shirts that are long enough without flashing some hide is a PIA.

Last edited:

twall13

WKR
I'm built very similar to you. 6'1", 180 lbs, 33 in. waist, 32" inseam. I started with an Exo and ended up with a Kifaru frame and Exo bags. My take is this, the Exo frame is more comfortable for loads up to 40-50 lbs. as it moves laterally with you better. The Kifaru is more comfortable with heavy loads and I like the belt better (haven't tried Exo's updated belts since 2017). I had both frames side by side and the Kifaru frame is actually about 2" taller (see attached photo). I put a tape on both and the Exo is 25" while the Kifaru is 27". The extra load lifter height is nice for longer torsos and the stiffer frame panel works better under load. So is it more important to you to be comfortable during a pack out or in day hunt mode? To be fair, both work well under all conditions but each is a bit better than the other depending on the load. If you have a weird back shape it will be easier to get the Kifaru to fit right as there are multiple stay options. If you have any other specific questions I'll do my best to answer based on my experience.

https://flic.kr/p/SohEX6

Last edited:
With a 21 inch torso, a 25 inch frame would give you 35% load lifter angle. If you wear your pack where the middle of the belt covers the crest of your hip bones. A 26 inch would get into the 40 degree range. Both are plenty.

The only thing I’ll suggest is to wear your pack right. Adjust the torso based on the center of your hip belt to covering the crest of your hip bones. Either one will work and either one will stay put. Just get the right and the rest will be easy peasy. God Bless men

twall13

WKR
With a 21 inch torso, a 25 inch frame would give you 35% load lifter angle. If you wear your pack where the middle of the belt covers the crest of your hip bones. A 26 inch would get into the 40 degree range. Both are plenty.

The only thing I’ll suggest is to wear your pack right. Adjust the torso based on the center of your hip belt to covering the crest of your hip bones. Either one will work and either one will stay put. Just get the right and the rest will be easy peasy. God Bless men

In theory this is true, but when things get weighted down they inevitably sag and you lose some of that angle. I still got some lift with the Exo, but it was closer to a five or ten degree angle under heavy loads.

gelton

WKR
All good points here. I am 6ft with a 21 inch torso and a 30 inch inseam and the 26 inch duplex works well for me...although other than the ALICE pack that I started out with, I have nothing to compare it to.

My take is this, the Exo frame is more comfortable for loads up to 40-50 lbs. as it moves laterally with you better. The Kifaru is more comfortable with heavy loads and I like the belt better (haven't tried Exo's updated belts since 2017)....So is it more important to you to be comfortable during a pack out or in day hunt mode? To be fair, both work well under all conditions but each is a bit better than the other depending on the load....

This is spot-on with my experience with the 2015 Exo and Kifaru duplex frame. The kifaru felt like I was strapped to a board compared to the Exo, but that kifaru belt made 80 lbs feel like 40. I ended up with the Exo and it performs great for me up to about 80 lbs. Once you cross that threshold, the kifaru is going to be the winner. I use my pack for a lot more than just hauling meat, and even when hauling meat the majority of my loads are under the 80 lb limit anyway, so the Exo is the better fit for me.

I packed out a mule deer solo this year for 3.5 miles with camp. Luckily it was almost all on trail, but my pack was 110 lb when I got home. It definitely wasn't enjoyable with the Exo, but my legs wouldn't have been strong enough to carry anymore weight than that anyway. I packed out half a dozen loads between 40-70 lb with the Exo this year and it was great on all of those.

They are both great packs, it just depends on what your needs are. I am in the SLC area too, so let me know if you want to get your hands on an Exo in person.

I've also read somewhere in these forums that Kifaru will make a 28" frame if you request it. I could be wrong on that though.

Kifaru does make a 28" frame and I love it. I have both a 26 and a 28. My torso is 23.5". I can put 100lbs in my 26 without a ton of discomfort, but it is significantly better in my 28.

OP, if you might want to try one you should get a hold of Dayna and ask her to bring a 28 with her.

The long torso thing is a bit of a pain. Just finding tee shirts that are long enough without flashing some hide is a PIA.

I hear you on this and it is why I only buy Eddie Bauer now. Their tall sizes are longer than other clothing companies

OP
B

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
This is spot-on with my experience with the 2015 Exo and Kifaru duplex frame. The kifaru felt like I was strapped to a board compared to the Exo, but that kifaru belt made 80 lbs feel like 40. I ended up with the Exo and it performs great for me up to about 80 lbs. Once you cross that threshold, the kifaru is going to be the winner. I use my pack for a lot more than just hauling meat, and even when hauling meat the majority of my loads are under the 80 lb limit anyway, so the Exo is the better fit for me.

I packed out a mule deer solo this year for 3.5 miles with camp. Luckily it was almost all on trail, but my pack was 110 lb when I got home. It definitely wasn't enjoyable with the Exo, but my legs wouldn't have been strong enough to carry anymore weight than that anyway. I packed out half a dozen loads between 40-70 lb with the Exo this year and it was great on all of those.

They are both great packs, it just depends on what your needs are. I am in the SLC area too, so let me know if you want to get your hands on an Exo in person.

Excellent insight and experience. Thanks for sharing this. I appreciate the offer to check out your pack. Depending on what I can check out at the show this week, I just might take you up on that.

In theory this is true, but when things get weighted down they inevitably sag and you lose some of that angle. I still got some lift with the Exo, but it was closer to a five or ten degree angle under heavy loads.

Loads settle down no doubt. But, they can only settle as far as the harness lets them settle. God Bless men

I love my EXO, but if you have a long torso it's going to get dicey under heavy loads. I wish like crazy they would offer a 27" frame.

OP
B

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
So I had a chance to get my hands on several packs over the last week. I was putting in some volunteer hours with Utah DNR at the Hunt Expo. I was able to visit with Steve at Exo and put on their packs a few times with some good weight loaded up. Pack is awesome, and I wanted it to work, but the fit isn't for me. Shout out to Kyle from Davis Tent who brought his Seek Outside and let me walk around with it a bit. Wasn't for me, but very interesting design and cool pack. Dayna, with Kifaru, was also kind enough to bring her pack up and I got to look it over pretty well. I also threw on my buddy's Kifaru today while we were hunting chuckar. Definitely liked the Kifaru over the Exo and the SO, the belt and frame were better for me. It would have been the winner, but...

Now here is the kicker. I had also been looking a little bit at the Stone Glacier. I wasn't convinced they could handle the heavy weight. They had a booth at the show and I stopped by a few times and talked quite a bit with Pete. Threw on the new Krux Evo with some weight and wasn't crazy about it. Then I threw on an Xcurve, and wow. That thing was amazing and had the best fit of all of them for me. The sleek and minimal bag designs are fantastic and I love how the load shelf is thought out. The frame height was good and the load lifters were quite effective for me. So, it looks like the Stone Glacier Xcurve gets the win for me. Thinking I will go with the Sky 5900 bag.

I learned a fair amount being able to put on so many packs and ask so many questions over the past week or two, often to the people who actually build, design, test, and use the packs. First, every body is different. Frames that fit one person well, may not work for someone else. Second, there is a reason high-end packs are so well thought of. They are incredible examples of engineering and ingenuity, and they flat out work. Third, look for the pack that best matches your particular style. I have really gotten into ultralight backpacking over the past few years, and when I got my hands on Stone Glacier, it instantly appealed to that part of me. And fourth, you can't beat putting your hands on the packs and the packs on your back.

Thanks again for all of the help. Once I get the SG, I will report back on how it works for me.