Kifaru Quandry?

Kenneth

FNG
The Q has my attention,

I currently have a Timberline 2 with 26inch stays, like the pack but it's too much for day hunts.

Looking for a daypack,,,

The Q?

14r looks interesting but too expensive for a daypack.

Thoughts or suggestions?

tttoadman

WKR
Whether you are day hunting or multi-day, you still need to be able to pack an animal. Strap that big bag down and you will be happy it is there when you knock an animal down. Put a grabit and a std lid on any of these big bags and they disappear into a super tight daypack mode.

For what its worth:
I have one Kifaru Frame and one Kifaru bag, and it does everything I need from day hunt from the truck or 10days out.

OP
K

Kenneth

FNG
I'm more of a drop camp western hunter, I'm not hauling quarters long distances for far, if at all. The 26 inch stays and such make the T2 too tall, too noisy. I'm looking to carry daily essentials, drinking water, food for the day and clothing.

Quandary may be too small for what you listed. You should take a look at either the Urban Zippy, X-Ray or the new Urban Ruck (comes out later this week). The Native might work for you too, but won't be super comfortable. The Quandary is sized for a hydration bladder, jacket and snacks; not much else and I think you'd have a hard time fitting everything that at least I would carry day hunting.

There have been a couple of used spike camps in the classifieds this week.. might be a good option.

Kurtm2323

FNG
I recently bought a Quandary and love it. It is low profile so doesn't get caught on brush when moving through clearcuts. It keeps me from taking anything I don't need and what I like most about it is that I can carry a handgun or bearspray or knife on my pant belt without it interfering and rubbing. I use a Stone Glacier hydro holster with it and it carries a nalgene perfectly. Also, it doesn't make a gun slide off your shoulder when slung like most packs do. Here is a picture of me with it on this winter trying to get my dogs nose on some grouse.
View attachment 66492

Last edited:
OP
K

Kenneth

FNG
Can others see Kurts attachments??
Not working for me.

Click on the link and it says contact administrator?

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
For what you list as your typical hunting and needs/likes/dislikes I would be looking at the following...

-Stone Glacier Avail: About the right size and has a very organized layout. Plus you can get one of their frames and use it with the Avail if needed.
-Mystery Ranch Dragonslayer : Discontinued pack but you could pick one up used if you are patient. I have one and for what you say you want it fits the bill nicely.
-Mystery Ranch Komodo Dragon: Basically the Military version of the Dragonslayer. You could cut the BVS system off of it.
-Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 35

There are others I am sure but these were off of the top of my head. I am a definite Kifaru fan, but I think that they have their sights on multi day packs mostly.

Your comment about the 14r being too expensive was a consideration in what I recommended for sure.

If you had not said that I would think that a Kifaru Woodsman or a 22 Mag on a 22" frame would be perfect for what you want, while also offering the ability to pack large loads when needed...

twall13

WKR
Quandary may be too small for what you listed. You should take a look at either the Urban Zippy, X-Ray or the new Urban Ruck (comes out later this week). The Native might work for you too, but won't be super comfortable. The Quandary is sized for a hydration bladder, jacket and snacks; not much else and I think you'd have a hard time fitting everything that at least I would carry day hunting.
The Quandary actually has more capacity than the Native. It can expand for an additional 500 cu. in. Both can be used as a lid or a stand alone but the native is designed for a lid use more so than a stand alone. The Quandary works better as a stand alone pack.

If you don't intend to pack with in it the Quandary would make a great day pack, imo. 1500 cu. in. might get tight in certain situations but for the daily essentials I think it would work well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
Are you wanting a waist belt? I consider at least a reasonably stable/supportive waist belt imperative for a good daypack so the pack doesn't shift as I move around, but that is me.

The Quandary actually has more capacity than the Native. It can expand for an additional 500 cu. in. Both can be used as a lid or a stand alone but the native is designed for a lid use more so than a stand alone. The Quandary works better as a stand alone pack.

Spec-wise you're right, but having used both the Native feels like I have more room. Probably partially because that kangaroo pouch is used in the calculation, so the main bag even while expanded is still smaller. I could be wrong, but again in practice I felt like I have more room.

OP
K

Kenneth

FNG
OP
K

Kenneth

FNG
Are you wanting a waist belt? I consider at least a reasonably stable/supportive waist belt imperative for a good daypack so the pack doesn't shift as I move around, but that is me.

I'm actually not sure about the need for a waist belt, seems like it would be nice for stability, I agree there.. Just no experience to base that on.

Kurtm2323

FNG
KURT, if thats the Quandry in your pic, It looks bigger than I expected, based on what others have led me to believe...

That picture is without being zippered out to expand the extra 500 cu in. It was bigger than I expected when I got it too, but really like it's size now

Bmcox86

WKR
I have a quandry that I bought in July and will be selling it to go to something else. Just doesn't fit my needs that I thought it would. It's a good pack though for what it is

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk