Pack Questions, Please Help!

If you end up with a Kifaru you may consider getting the aluminum stays with your back issues to be able to conform to any oddities you may have compared to a 'normal' back. Not sure how close yours is to normal shape, but considering your surgeries I'd imagine it might be useful and worth sacrificing an extra couple ounces. This is also a major advantage of a Kifaru is that there are so many options that they truly can be personalized and as close to custom as you can get.

I would recommend looking at the AMR, Fulcrum or Crater (same main bag size as the AMR) or EMR2 as the Reckoning may be a little too small for carrying gear for 1.5 people. Obviously you know better than I what your gear will look like, but you can always compress a bag but it's hard to make it bigger.

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
If you end up with a Kifaru you may consider getting the aluminum stays with your back issues to be able to conform to any oddities you may have compared to a 'normal' back. Not sure how close yours is to normal shape, but considering your surgeries I'd imagine it might be useful and worth sacrificing an extra couple ounces. This is also a major advantage of a Kifaru is that there are so many options that they truly can be personalized and as close to custom as you can get.

I would recommend looking at the AMR, Fulcrum or Crater (same main bag size as the AMR) or EMR2 as the Reckoning may be a little too small for carrying gear for 1.5 people. Obviously you know better than I what your gear will look like, but you can always compress a bag but it's hard to make it bigger.

I will remember this. I would really like to try them on with weight so that I have an idea what will work best. The Back seems alright, but the Dr's are worried about the disks above and below. They didn't even want to let me go back to work. Luckily my Back Dr. sent me to an Occupational Therapy place in Portland and the place saved my job by proving what I could do after some hard work.

oldgoat

WKR
You know, one of the things that crosses my mind, you know what you can do better than I do, my thinking though is bite off a little less distance, me and my wife are in our mid fifties, she's got pretty bad arthritis in her hip and other places are getting similar, we get into quite a few animals a lot closer to the truck than ten miles I believe you said in original post. We bought all the gear to just get in past that initial hard hump and we are usually just .5 to 1 mile in so we don't have to go so far to start finding animals. You can pass up a lot of good hunting going to far in and then getting an animal out is a whole nother story! It would really suck to get way back in there and blow out your back!

Boreal

WKR
Speaking as a L5-S1 microdiscectomy survivor, I’d strongly suggest your bike hunt option. I’ve now done two bike-supported hunts in AK, and it is a world changer. Allows me to bring in substantial weight for camp and carry less for the hunt. Then you can find the right pack in the right size for day carry and protect the back you have left.

For the pack, I picked up a MR Metcalf for planned 3-5 day efforts after considering the usual suspects discussed here. But the bike and the trailer let’s you choose the smaller packs and still get out for the full monte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
You know, one of the things that crosses my mind, you know what you can do better than I do, my thinking though is bite off a little less distance, me and my wife are in our mid fifties, she's got pretty bad arthritis in her hip and other places are getting similar, we get into quite a few animals a lot closer to the truck than ten miles I believe you said in original post. We bought all the gear to just get in past that initial hard hump and we are usually just .5 to 1 mile in so we don't have to go so far to start finding animals. You can pass up a lot of good hunting going to far in and then getting an animal out is a whole nother story! It would really suck to get way back in there and blow out your back!

You are right. Where I hunt now is only about a mile in, and I get into quite a few elk. However, sometimes the elk here get pressured quite a bit. There is only one road up to the ridge road (4x4 road that is closed 3 days before season starts, and opens after rifle seasons). I am mostly a solo hunter and like being by myself while hunting. My wife usually drops me off in the morning and picks me up at dark. However, we want to get her ready/set up to hike with me (So far she doesn't hunt, although I am working on her- she has a bow so it is a start). As far as the Back issues go, at this time other than the nerve damage causing decreased sensation in R lower L and Foot the problems are mostly behind me (Normal for me Back Pn.). I just never know when my job (Lifting heavy Patients and heavy work in fires) will wear on the rest of my back (Dr. says I am at high risk for future issues due to my fusion and hardwear- Titanium plates/screws).

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
I have some really great suggestions so far! Looking for more. Hopefully this thread will help others as well! Thank you so much for all of the responses!

Greenback

FNG
I’d try the SO unaweep. Truly comfortable light & heavy, extremely adjustable as far as frame height / belt positions / Lumbar pad etc. The only downside is it’s about $400 cheaper, 4lbs lighter than a comparable Kifaru😏. Seriously though I’ve been happy with my SO gear but lots of good choices out there.

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
Speaking as a L5-S1 microdiscectomy survivor, I’d strongly suggest your bike hunt option. I’ve now done two bike-supported hunts in AK, and it is a world changer. Allows me to bring in substantial weight for camp and carry less for the hunt. Then you can find the right pack in the right size for day carry and protect the back you have left.

For the pack, I picked up a MR Metcalf for planned 3-5 day efforts after considering the usual suspects discussed here. But the bike and the trailer let’s you choose the smaller packs and still get out for the full monte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the Back advice! Glad you are doing well after your back issues as well!

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
I’d try the SO unaweep. Truly comfortable light & heavy, extremely adjustable as far as frame height / belt positions / Lumbar pad etc. The only downside is it’s about $400 cheaper, 4lbs lighter than a comparable Kifaru😏. Seriously though I’ve been happy with my SO gear but lots of good choices out there.

These Packs look pretty cool! Would like to try one of these on with weight as well. I have also been looking at their floorless shelters and stoves.

I will remember this. I would really like to try them on with weight so that I have an idea what will work best. The Back seems alright, but the Dr's are worried about the disks above and below. They didn't even want to let me go back to work. Luckily my Back Dr. sent me to an Occupational Therapy place in Portland and the place saved my job by proving what I could do after some hard work.

Yeah, I'd highly suggest bringing some weight with you to Corey's shop if he doesn't have 80lb to throw in a bag to try it on. Make sure someone who knows what they are doing (probably Corey himself) helps fit it to you as it will make the difference between it not sucking and being the most comfortable thing ever. Kifaru packs can be overwhelming with all the adjust-ability and I have heard some people call that a negative and you know what maybe it is for some people, but I like the fact that even minor discomfort can be fixed whereas I've had packs in the past where I've just been told that they can't be adjusted to fix an issue I was having.

For instance up until a year ago due to a football injury my left collar bone was about an inch higher than the right and it was adjusted to account for that. Well about a year ago I had another injury and my right is now about a half inch higher now so I had to adjust it the other way. This is my major concern with yolk suspensions (like MR and SO use) is they can't account for stuff like that (Exo doesn't use a Yolk but also doesn't allow different shoulder heights).

Due to these shoulder injuries I also prefer to run about 85% of the weight on my hips as opposed to the usual 65-70%, which is something you also may prefer in order to work around your issues by putting most the weight on your pelvis rather than your back (this should be achievable with most high-end packs, but the belt will be the post important part to check for slippage under heavy weight).

Last edited:
OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I'd highly suggest bringing some weight with you to Corey's shop if he doesn't have 80lb to throw in a bag to try it on. Make sure someone who knows what they are doing (probably Corey himself) helps fit it to you as it will make the difference between it not sucking and being the most comfortable thing ever. Kifaru packs can be overwhelming with all the adjust-ability and I have heard some people call that a negative and you know what maybe it is for some people, but I like the fact that even minor discomfort can be fixed whereas I've had packs in the past where I've just been told that they can't be adjusted to fix an issue I was having.

For instance up until a year ago due to a football injury my left collar bone was about an inch higher than the right and it was adjusted to account for that. Well about a year ago I had another injury and my right is now about a half inch higher now so I had to adjust it the other way. This is my major concern with yolk suspensions (like MR and SO use) is they can't account for stuff like that (Exo doesn't use a Yolk but also doesn't allow different shoulder heights).

Due to these shoulder injuries I also prefer to run about 85% of the weight on my hips as opposed to the usual 65-70%, which is something you also may prefer in order to work around your issues by putting most the weight on your pelvis rather than your back (this should be achievable with most high-end packs, but the belt will be the post important part to check for slippage under heavy weight).

Thank you very much for the suggestions/advice. Some very smart things for me to consider. I definitely want the packs to fit correctly and work to the best of the pack's ability for both of us. I really do want to have the packs fitted with weight by an expert in what we should be looking for/considering. although less weight for the wife ;)

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone else with suggestions/opinions/advice? It has all been great advice so far! Anyone have any ideas on how/where I might be able to see/try these other packs somewhere closer than at the factory? It is a long ways to go, but I want to be sure with our pack choices!

bmart2622

WKR
It might cost you some money in shipping, but most of the companies have a 30 day return policy. Its an option if you aren't able to track one down locally to try.

Mosby

WKR
I was at the Portland show as well and looked at the Exo packs there. I really liked the layout but did not try it on. Booth was really crowd when I was there. I like the Exo layout much better than the Mystery Ranch packs I looked at the show. I think you could make the Exo 5500 work for up to 10 days depending on the size of your tent, bag etc. To create more space, one option is to put your food in the load shelf going in.

I have a Stone Glacier Approach for day hunting and I am going to buy the Sky 5900 pack for an archery elk hunt this fall. For an extended hunt you might look at the SG 6200 and 6900 bags.

I have the Krux frame and find it extremely comfortable. I live in the midwest and bought my SG on faith and it worked out ok. Worst case you eat shipping on the return.

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
It might cost you some money in shipping, but most of the companies have a 30 day return policy. Its an option if you aren't able to track one down locally to try.

I have thought about this, but would really like an expert to help fit/customize the packs for my wife and I. Looking to buy once/cry once if possible. Although with my Gear Addiction Disorder it is Doubtful! ;)

bmart2622

WKR
The SG frames are very easy to adjust, the Kifaru frames can be a little more complicated but aren't bad at all and there are plenty of videos from Aron to walk you through it.

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
I was at the Portland show as well and looked at the Exo packs there. I really liked the layout but did not try it on. Booth was really crowd when I was there. I like the Exo layout much better than the Mystery Ranch packs I looked at the show. I think you could make the Exo 5500 work for up to 10 days depending on the size of your tent, bag etc. To create more space, one option is to put your food in the load shelf going in.

I have a Stone Glacier Approach for day hunting and I am going to buy the Sky 5900 pack for an archery elk hunt this fall. For an extended hunt you might look at the SG 6200 and 6900 bags.

I have the Krux frame and find it extremely comfortable. I live in the midwest and bought my SG on faith and it worked out ok. Worst case you eat shipping on the return.

I was at the show on Friday. Not sure how I missed the Mystery Ranch Packs at the show???? Only got to look at Kifaru and Exo Packs. Liked both about equally, but for different reasons. Both seemed comfortable, but need to try with more weight. Would like to try on Mystery Ranch too, although from what I had heard they are heavier (Might not like this aspect) but durable.

Have you tried on the X-Curve frame vs. the Krux frame? Any idea which one would be better for someone with Lower Back Issues (L5, S1 Fusion and Titanium Hardware)? The Expedition Stone Glacier Packs sound really good to me, but don't have access to try them.

Lol

If you're gonna do a 10 dayer and haul much of the wifes stuff- I would get the Kifaru AMR, then strap the biggest Stone Glacier to the out side of that.
Fill both packs and have a great ride in, or hike in.

I couldn't imagine what my wife would need for 10 days, and being 10 miles in, the idea of running back to the truck wouldn't be an option at 20 mile round trip.

My God, just the toilet paper requirements alone would fill the Stone Glacier.
Pretty sure she aint gonna do MTN House for that long either, so the food alone will fill 1/3 of the AMR.

:)

I haven't owned any of the packs that have been mentioned so far, but I can give you my $.02 about the Kuiu icon pro 7200, which I have hunted with for 3+ seasons now. Very light, a lot of pockets and expandability with the strap systems. Plenty of accessories that are cheap to add to the pack to make it even more functional and you should have no problem carrying enough gear for a 7-10 day trip even while keeping your wife's pack weight at a minimum. Have carried a large quartered mule deer buck with the head and all my gear out in one (although very heavy) trip and the pack was comfortable on my back and carried the weight just fine. The one downside I have found is that you have to run your water line out through the drawstring hole in the top of the pack if you use the water carrier accessory, but that's the only thing that isn't perfect in my opinion.