Pack Questions, Please Help!

Thanks for the advice. I will test it out prior to and see how it works. Maybe I can shift some other stuff from inside to the load shelf in a bag? I will have to try several different ways probably in order to get things right.

Moment of inertia, which will affect your mobility/agility, is defined as each mass time the square of it's distance from your center of mass (I=mr^2). As such, the closer you can get all your gear (not just the heavy stuff) to your center of gravity the better. Even though he isn't capable of putting it in mathematical terms, this is the basis of why Aron doesn't like the load shelf concept and has been trying (to little avail) to convey it. He prefers an over-sized bag and to simply pack all your gear around the meat. A load shelf unnecessarily extends weight away from your back leaving a lot of wasted space around the meat. The other mathematic equation to consider is that of a pivot/fulcrum; now this one is not squared, but the point load transferred to your waist and/or shoulder linearly increases with distance. So even though the load to your feet is the same for a specific weight, the point load on either the waist or the shoulder increases linearly the further you get away.

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
Moment of inertia, which will affect your mobility/agility, is defined as each mass time the square of it's distance from your center of mass (I=mr^2). As such, the closer you can get all your gear (not just the heavy stuff) to your center of gravity the better. Even though he isn't capable of putting it in mathematical terms, this is the basis of why Aron doesn't like the load shelf concept and has been trying (to little avail) to convey it. He prefers an over-sized bag and to simply pack all your gear around the meat. A load shelf unnecessarily extends weight away from your back leaving a lot of wasted space around the meat. The other mathematic equation to consider is that of a pivot/fulcrum; now this one is not squared, but the point load transferred to your waist and/or shoulder linearly increases with distance. So even though the load to your feet is the same for a specific weight, the point load on either the waist or the shoulder increases linearly the further you get away.

While I like and understand all of this, I don't pack much when actually hunting. The big weight pack will be on the way in and between the pack and the bike trailer. I should mention that the ridge road is not steep and thus I may be able to put a little more on the bike trailer than if it was steeper terrain. Since I do/plan on doing day hunts from camp, I plan on keeping it fairly light during the actual hunt each day. Food/Water/extra clothes (not much this time of year)/kill kit with game bags/possibles pouch/optics/tri pod (Depending on hunt). Thank you for the info. Would be much more of a worry if I were having my camp on my back with food for the whole time. Will keep in mind nonetheless! Great input, and appreciated!

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
In the last two years, Seek Outside seems to have the most dedicated followers. Meaning once people tried them, they fall head over hills in love with their system. I've only seen one guy post he didn't like it. That ain't the gopsel but, do not forget about them.

Also, I use the meat shelf on my Kifaru and it does not stick out with loaded meat. You can make it as slender as you want and if you are packing BOMB style, the Bag determines the shape and dimension of the load, not the meat shelf. I don't know where the above poster is getting all that but, the frame size on the two he refers to is almost identical. So, I don't know if I mis-read him or what but, keep this in mind and do not base your choice on the meat shelf info he gave. God Bless men

I really want a meat shelf! One of the things that bums me out about my Outdoorsman's Pack. While it has a shelf, you cant pull the bag away and load your meat in between. It only attaches close to the pack with no way to extend it out for a meat shelf.

For me, a meat shelf is absolutely MANDATORY. I have zero use for a bag that doesn't allow packing meat between it and the frame

Last edited:
For me, a meat shelf is absolutely MANDATORY. I have zero use for a bag that doesn't allow packing meat between it and the frame

All Kifaru bags have this capability even if they don't have a "meat shelf"; just carry a grab-it and you've got a meat shelf.

To clarify me earlier comments; I didn't realize you were looking for a day hunting pack; I was under the impression you were looking for a backpacking pack. I personally use a 22 mag on a 26" frame for day hunting with the expectation that I will use a Grab-it or Cargo Net to strap the meat between the frame and the pack if I get something on the ground and need to pack it out. But I also have my 28" frame with my big bag (modified Argali) for the second trip. I realize that setup isn't exactly in the budget for everyone, but if I were just to have one pack and never wanted to do anything more than day hunt or bivy the 22 Mag, Tahr, woodsman or even an exo 3500 bag on a Kifaru frame.

All Kifaru bags have this capability even if they don't have a "meat shelf"; just carry a grab-it and you've got a meat shelf.

To clarify me earlier comments; I didn't realize you were looking for a day hunting pack; I was under the impression you were looking for a backpacking pack. I personally use a 22 mag on a 26" frame for day hunting with the expectation that I will use a Grab-it or Cargo Net to strap the meat between the frame and the pack if I get something on the ground and need to pack it out. But I also have my 28" frame with my big bag (modified Argali) for the second trip. I realize that setup isn't exactly in the budget for everyone, but if I were just to have one pack and never wanted to do anything more than day hunt or bivy the 22 Mag, Tahr, woodsman or even an exo 3500 bag on a Kifaru frame.

This is spot on
All Kifaru bags that "pull" away at the bottom have 2 straps at the bottom, which do exactly what a meat shelf does, it holds the meat, supports it, suspends it, what ever you want to call it. I have used both set ups and prefer the shelf or straps myself. I also understand the hesitation of getting gear too far away from my back. It is very taxing on the back and shoulders. But for a short enough hike out, it helps.

boom

WKR
the GRAB-it..doesnt that really screw with the dude above. the "professor"; his moment of inertia comment? center of gravity really swings out there on that moment arm.

i have a GRAB It. neat. i might try to retrofit it to my other bags..

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider

Great Idea using the Grab-it! I am getting some really great info from everyone! Please keep the ideas coming!

the GRAB-it..doesnt that really screw with the dude above. the "professor"; his moment of inertia comment? center of gravity really swings out there on that moment arm.

i have a GRAB It. neat. i might try to retrofit it to my other bags..

Haha, I was the one that made both comments. Yes, it does mess with your moment of inertia and create larger point loads on your shoulders than necessary; but if day hunting you aren't going to be carrying as much weight in your pack so your pack will weigh 15lbs instead of 60lbs.

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
Haha, I was the one that made both comments. Yes, it does mess with your moment of inertia and create larger point loads on your shoulders than necessary; but if day hunting you aren't going to be carrying as much weight in your pack so your pack will weigh 15lbs instead of 60lbs.

This is exactly what I am hoping for! I won't be using the meat shelf while having the pack full. Only while in day-pack mode with lighter weight in the pack. Thank you for all of the information! Keep it coming guys!

boom

WKR
you had great points. brought back images from my engineering classes, tho...

imagine solving for I on a backpack? haha..

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone seen a release date yet on the new frame from Kifaru? Any new information? Wondering if this will be a tipping point in Kifaru's favor? Having a hard time deciding. I think I like gear way too much!

I was in your same situation last year. I started by trying a couple of my large backpacking packs (Kelty and Mountainsmith). Those were fine up to about 60lbs, but then got uncomfortable. I then did lots of research and tried a Kifaru and an Exo. Neither worked well for me. I then stumbled onto Seek Outside and purchased a Brooks pack. It was hands down the most comfortable pack I tried. I used it last year to haul out a bull 6 miles one way. Worth every penny. Do yourself a favor and give SO a look.

Another benefit to the SO Brooks is that it has an internal load shelf that is super quick to utilize. No need to take off the bag or undo buckles, etc. Good luck!

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
I was in your same situation last year. I started by trying a couple of my large backpacking packs (Kelty and Mountainsmith). Those were fine up to about 60lbs, but then got uncomfortable. I then did lots of research and tried a Kifaru and an Exo. Neither worked well for me. I then stumbled onto Seek Outside and purchased a Brooks pack. It was hands down the most comfortable pack I tried. I used it last year to haul out a bull 6 miles one way. Worth every penny. Do yourself a favor and give SO a look.

They are on my list. Hoping to try as many as possible before I buy. See which ones fit my wife and I the best! I think I know most of what I am looking for in a pack, but just not sure which company/packs will fit us the best. Still looking for suggestions though. At least until we buy. The more information and ideas the better decision we can make! Thank you, and keep them coming (Everyone)!

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
I have been reading many of the threads on here started by other people, as well as all of the responses on this thread. I really appreciate all of the Information that people with experience on the different packs (Other products as well) are willing to share with others on this Forum! I have picked up a lot of information from everyone! Thank you, and keep the ideas coming! I know I am keeping track of everything in order to help me to make a Difficult decision for both my Wife and I! Thank you!

OP
B

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
Still looking for more info on these packs. Especially for my wife. She is @ 5'4", so curious who has packs that will work for shorter torso the best. Her pack will probably be smaller, but still want to be able to pack some meat, some gear when not in day pack mode.

Still looking for more info on these packs. Especially for my wife. She is @ 5'4", so curious who has packs that will work for shorter torso the best. Her pack will probably be smaller, but still want to be able to pack some meat, some gear when not in day pack mode.

Tanya said on the Avery Adventures podcast that she loves the 22 mag on a 22" frame. It was on one of the older Q&A podcasts from last summer I think.