Seek outside Brooks vs Broadwing

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Would be very interesting to see how many of the brooks buyers would have preferred a Revo brooks, and how many potential buyers would jump on a brooks if it was available as a revo setup.

I’m swaying heavily toward ditching my Exo and trying a SO pack system but I like the bag/frame separating option, the brooks seems to tick all the boxes but I still like the idea of being able to separate the bag.

Rossi

Lil-Rokslider
Would be very interesting to see how many of the brooks buyers would have preferred a Revo brooks, and how many potential buyers would jump on a brooks if it was available as a revo setup.

I’m swaying heavily toward ditching my Exo and trying a SO pack system but I like the bag/frame separating option, the brooks seems to tick all the boxes but I still like the idea of being able to separate the bag.

I definitely would have stayed with a Revo Brooks option because it is easier to swap bags rather than moving the frame and suspension between the Revo panel and Brooks bag.

Leebob

FNG
I think I would prefer a Revo setup as well, but in the end I think I will be happy with the interior load shelf, on the Brooks. Light stuff below, meat on the shelf, and everything close to my back. I'm going to be positive and think the integrated frame will work out better. A bag big enough to drop a quarter in, no fumbling around separating the bag from the frame or trying to make the load in the bag conform to the load between it and the frame. Where the Revo would shine would be would be changing out bags, but hopefully this one bag will do everything I need from daypack to meat hauler and not need changing! All in a lighter platform. That's what I keep telling myself, anyway, lol. Time will tell I guess.

mt100gr.

WKR
I am pretty tickled with the broadwing on the revo frame. Had a revo-Brooks option been available it would have made it more difficult to decide. I'd be curious what the weight difference would be with a Brooks on a revo frame.

Rokwiia

WKR
I've been comparing the Unaweep 6,300 with the Revolution Fortress 6,300. The weight difference is 5oz and 2.5oz of that difference is the result of a 2nd horizontal stay in the Revolution.

The Brooks already has two stays so I would guess the difference in weight between the two platforms would be about 2.5oz. If not, I'd like to hear why.

In my opinion, that's a small weight penalty to have the ability to change bags.

mt100gr.

WKR
Agreed, 2.5 oz is minor. But the Brooks pack also has a lot more material in the side pockets as well as full length zippers on the side pockets. I'd just be curious....and I am/was referring to the difference between the Broadwing(revolution) and our hypothetical revo-brooks.

Rokwiia

WKR
Agreed, 2.5 oz is minor. But the Brooks pack also has a lot more material in the side pockets as well as full length zippers on the side pockets. I'd just be curious....and I am/was referring to the difference between the Broadwing(revolution) and our hypothetical revo-brooks.

I'm sure Nathan or Kevin could tell you exactly but my best guess would be as follows:

The Brooks is 72oz (4.5lb per SO website). If we add 2.5 ounces for a platform change, it would tip the scales at 74.5oz.

The Broadwing is 76oz (4.75 lbs per SO website).

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, I also believe that I could make do with a standard Brooks (it certainly seems very versatile), and with the way that if can go from large to small so easily I can’t even see a likely need to swap out bags very often.

but coming from a Background of MR Nice frame / Exo / Kifaru systems, I just feel more comfortable with the opportunity to run the frame panel on its own with just a sling, or have an inflatable boat or other bulky load between the pack and frame. One of the big draw cards would be the ability to strap in a lightweight scabbard between bag and frame to allow a similar setup to the eberlestock scabbard system.

Interesting to see a good chunk of people may feel the same way about a revo Brooks.

I can't make up my mind which I prefer between my 16' Exo k2 and SO Revo frame. I did have some concerns over the SO belt staying on my hips as well under heavy load but was pointed to a couple pack setup errors I made last week when I stopped in the Seek Outside shop so the verdict is out.

It's a top notch compilation of people operating pack companies these days at EXO, SO, Kifaru, and SG.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll chime in here.

The best way to get a Revo Brooks in the works is send an email to our info account expressing interest. I would be curious if you would still want it as large a bag, since part of the size of the Brooks was to carry 30 liters or so of game meat, or a pack raft etc. which is a bit not needed on a revo.

Weight, a Revo Brooks will be very close to the Broadwing. My best guess is 4 lbs 12 ounces . The Brooks can on it's current platform be sub 4 lbs barely. You can probably get a revo variant, if you wanted to be in the 4 lbs 6 ounce or less range.

As for scabbard, if you are in day hunt mode the Brooks backpack can be used practically that way. During rifle season, my in the dark hunts were with it strapped on the back with the stock lower and it worked super well for me. It also worked very well for anyone I hunted with that used it.

The downsides to a Revo Brooks are
-- Modest weight increase
-- center rear face compression won't work as well as with an integrated frame ... it will be acceptable .. but not as locked
-- increased options might confuse you on what you want to do in the field

The big upside to me at least is
-- Can use the frame as a hauler with a talon / merlin when big volume is not needed
-- Can swap to the peregrine for small loads / bivy use which IMO is a real nice hunting bag as well

So send an email if that is what you guys really want.

Thanks
Kevin

mt100gr.

WKR
Good info, kevin. Thanks. I will be sticking with my broadwing. It's layout and function works exactly as I imagined it would when I placed the order.

Leebob

FNG
Yep, I also believe that I could make do with a standard Brooks (it certainly seems very versatile), and with the way that if can go from large to small so easily I can’t even see a likely need to swap out bags very often.

but coming from a Background of MR Nice frame / Exo / Kifaru systems, I just feel more comfortable with the opportunity to run the frame panel on its own with just a sling, or have an inflatable boat or other bulky load between the pack and frame. One of the big draw cards would be the ability to strap in a lightweight scabbard between bag and frame to allow a similar setup to the eberlestock scabbard system.

Interesting to see a good chunk of people may feel the same way about a revo Brooks.

For really bulky loads like a full bone-in elk quarter or half a muley. I like the frame and load sling but,.....The MR NICE frame, as stiff and bombproof as it is has no lift for me, so heavy loads became very heavy, and the Kifaru cargo panel is awesome but I find that when you really cinch a big load down the frame sheet warps. I haven't seen a Revo in the flesh yet, so not sure how it would fare. As I'm getting older I'm getting smarter (I hope) and I'm leaving a lot more bone in the bush. The Brooks should be really good for that. If I need a bare frame and cargo panel I'll be keeping one of my other frames.

sndmn11

WKR
The big upside to me at least is
-- Can use the frame as a hauler with a talon / merlin when big volume is not needed
-- Can swap to the peregrine for small loads / bivy use which IMO is a real nice hunting bag as well

Using my Peregrine this fall is why I would like a Brooks over a Broadwing. Having the zippered quick access to gloves, hats, snacks, puffy vests, really shine for me, and I liked knowing that those things were not potentially wet from snow, and still there. I could see the same for the Brooks vs the Broadwing. It looks like both share the same 5000ci main bag, I just like the zippered areas on the sides of the Brooks better. I had a Kifaru pack many years ago with a "sleeping bag divider" which was similar to the internal load shelf on the Brooks, and I liked the division it offered.

coues32

WKR
Sent a email as well.
There is alot of times I do not want want blood in my bag.

Would love to have the option pull the bag off easier in the revolution lineup (brooks range) and run frame only or small bag/talon.
Brooks on Revolution and camo= 1 pack

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking at both as well. I will be going with the brooks though, since I really like the way it can be fonfigured into a day pack. I should have plenty of time to use it during my scouting trips before I head out with it.

I ordered a broadwing a while ago and after getting it I did not think the side sleeve configuration was going to work the greatest for my needs. I have exchanged it and have the brooks on its way with the new cipher pattern and a top lid. I think it should do most anything I need a back pack to do. The real test will be comfort under a big load. Hoping the SO suspension works well with my body.

I know many like the unaweep. I think it's a great system for straight up backpacking. It was my initial purchase from SO. I did return it in Exchange for a Revolution. Super happy with that decision. For ounce counters that would stress over a 2.5oz difference. Make it up somewhere else!! Revolution is awesome.

sndmn11

WKR

It seems like our whining may have been heard. I just got off the phone with Nathan, and he said they MAY have gotten enough requests to come up with a Brooks pocketed revolution framed bag. Fingers crossed....

Vangysway

FNG
I'm in the market for my first pack and after much reading have been leaning towards SO. I am a beginner bow hunter out of Southern California who will be doing 2-3 day mule deer trips, Nor Cal bear & turkey hunts, and yearly 7-10 OTC archery elk hunts in Colorado. I am in this for the long haul and am hopeful to expand my hunting to to sheep and beyond.

I was always under the impression that having a frame made it easier to pack out heavy loads, but this thread certainly has me re-evaluating. For what I'm looking to, could I get away with the 6300 unaweep or fortress with a talon and pack lid, or does it make sense to go with a Broadwing or Brooks? The Goshawk looked interesting to me too, but realize it's only offered in a 4800... After watching all the videos, it sure seems like the Brooks might be ideal for what I'm looking to do

Needless to say, hearing your expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Alex

Last edited: