Seek outside Brooks vs Broadwing

Atkison

FNG
Anyone handled or used both? Needing a new pack and want to try seek outside. Have an upcoming fly in caribou hunt in Alaska this fall. Previously owned kuiu icon 7200 and ultra 6000 as well as sitka flash 32. Pros, cons, recommendations?

FURMAN

WKR
I have the Broadwing. I think I would choose it over the Brooks because the side pockets will allow carrying a rifle better/easier. I love the frame/suspension. Seems to carry heavy loads comfortably. The side pockets are great for spotters, tripods, and rifles. I like the roll top and the side zip for easier access. You can add a Talon or Guide lid. I was in a small rain storm and the bag kept my gear dry but I have not really tested it to the extremes. It is lighter than many other options with decent organization and the rain proof is a big added bonus in my book. They destroy the Kuiu setups in durability and have an edge in comfort. I have had the 7200 and the 6000.

I have the Brooks. I considered the Broadwing but went with the Brooks for a number of reasons:

I don't need the Revolution frame feature that allows you to carry stuff between the frame and the pack bag. The Brooks pack bag is huge. Anything I need to carry, I can carry in the Brooks pack itself. When you strap stuff between the frame and bag, you are making the pack really wide, and moving your center of gravity way back, away from your body. This is the worst and least ergonomic way to carry a heavy load. For heavy loads, you want the load center as close to your spine as possible.

I like the simpler, closed pockets of the Brooks better than the "sleeve pockets" on the Broadwing. I keep my rifle strapped to the outside of the pack, or use the gun hook thingie to carry the rifle if I may need it quickly. I haven't seen the need to put my rifle in a sleeve.

The Brooks is a slight bit lighter, and I like the multiple configurations you can utilize with the 2 pockets and the main bag.

My pack is relatively new, and I've only used it on training hikes and a single training overnight, but so far, I am pleased with it. I plan on writing up a full review after my Javelina hunt that's coming up at the end of February.

coues32

WKR
No experience with them but will be purchasing the Brooks range. But going to order it with the revolution frame setup so can run it frame only also. Or talon and frame.

Leebob

FNG
Hello folks, been lurking here a bit and had to join to hop on this thread as I too am looking at getting a new SO pack. I’m leaning towards a Brooks right now. ssssnake529, what frame height do you use when running in daypack mode? Does the pack function well at 24”? Also do you carry a spotter and tripod? It looks like the pockets are a perfect size for those items, but then is there room for normal daypack stuff? Maybe require a lid for that stuff if running in daypack mode? Trying to avoid needing access to the main bag during the day.

The Broadwing, to me doesn’t look like it would compress into daypack mode as well as the Brooks.

Coues32, I could be wrong, but I don’t believe you can get a Brooks on the Revolution frame. From what I have read and seen on video they are considering making something like that but have issues with the same style compression on the Revo frame. If you want Revo you would have to go Broadwing. Again, I could be wrong.

No experience with them but will be purchasing the Brooks range. But going to order it with the revolution frame setup so can run it frame only also. Or talon and frame.
Are they offering that? I thought Brooks was a unaweep plattform bag....

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

coues32

WKR
It will not separate like the other revolution bags, but I want to run it in other configurationstates.
Asked Kevin about it said was fine.
Maybe in sticky thread above....

Leebob

FNG
It will not separate like the other revolution bags, but I want to run it in other configurationstates.
Asked Kevin about it said was fine.
Maybe in sticky thread above....

OK, I get it now. You will basically by a Revolution panel and a Brooks bag and swap the frame and suspension between the two.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Brooks is an Integrated pack, meaning it doesn't have the breakaway load carry of the Broadwing. Aside from that the main differences will be the side pockets. The Broadwing has standard water bottle pockets on the lower sides with pass through upper pockets that close with shockcord on the upper sides. These pockets are handy for carrying a rifle or tripod, but you really need a pullout or something similar for securing small items.

The Brooks has zippered side pockets, and it is optimized for a 26" frame but can be used with a 24 or 28. The Brooks also comes with two horizontal cross stays that makes the load carry similar to a Revolution pack. FWIW I generally don't use both stays, and often don't use any.

Main packbag volumes will be very very similar, the difference is in the pockets.

If people are having issues scrolling the site on mobile I'd appreciate a PM with what device you're using. We did a major update back in December and may still have some bugs to shake out.

Nathan

Rossi

Lil-Rokslider
Hello folks, been lurking here a bit and had to join to hop on this thread as I too am looking at getting a new SO pack. I’m leaning towards a Brooks right now. ssssnake529, what frame height do you use when running in daypack mode? Does the pack function well at 24”? Also do you carry a spotter and tripod? It looks like the pockets are a perfect size for those items, but then is there room for normal daypack stuff? Maybe require a lid for that stuff if running in daypack mode? Trying to avoid needing access to the main bag during the day.

I can get all my day pack stuff in the two vertical pockets plus a spotter (Nikon 65-ish size) and Sprint Mini tripod. I configure it the way Kevin shows in his video where the two vertical pockets are sort of stacked on top )Overlapping) of each other. I have only tested this in my house, but seems to work pretty well so far. I will report back once I've had a chance to test it more.

Rossi

Lil-Rokslider
I have had both bags. I started with Revo system, so I ordered the Broadwing. I was not happy with how the split pockets closed. As Nathan said, you would need pullouts to keep smaller items in these pockets. I never strap my rifle to my pack so these pockets offer no advantage to me. I opted for the Brooks for the vertical pockets and I think it is going to work great. I will also keep my Revo panel for certain times when I might need the frame only with limited storage. I think the two will cover all my needs.

I initially thought that I would change the frame height when going in daypack mode. In practice, I haven't found that it makes much of a difference. I just leave it at the factory height (24"? Not really sure) for daypack mode. Works fine. One pocket will fit a large spotter (Kowa 880) and a Sirui t-24 carbon tripod, with space for my rain gear too. Other daypack stuff that I'm not accessing much fits nicely into the other pocket. The ability of this pack to morph into day pack or light overnight or full on loadmonster configurations is genius.

The Broadwing, to me doesn’t look like it would compress into daypack mode as well as the Brooks.

Coues32, I could be wrong, but I don’t believe you can get a Brooks on the Revolution frame. From what I have read and seen on video they are considering making something like that but have issues with the same style compression on the Revo frame. If you want Revo you would have to go Broadwing. Again, I could be wrong.

Leebob

FNG
Thanks for that ssssnake529. Just what I was hoping to hear. I believe the pack comes set up at 26”.

I run a Kowa 773 so I should have the room to pack everything I need without a lid. If not I have a Kifaru guide lid that I can hopefully make fit.

I’ve been chatting with Nathan as this thread has progressed and I am now convinced that the Brooks is the way to go for me. I agree that the concept is brilliant and I hope it plays out as useful and easy as it seems.

Thank you everyone for your input. Thanks OP for starting this thread!

I weighed the differences last year and went with the Brooks. Don't think you'll be disappointed with either, but sounds like you'll be happier with the Brooks.

Westside

FNG
Anyone have any pics of these packs especially the Broadwing in a day pack or compressed style mode? Maybe even with a lid attached? Hard to really get an idea about the Broadwing because all pics I've seen are a pretty full bag. I have found a few pics if the Brooks more or less compressed but not the Broadwing.

I have a broadwing but have not used it in daypack mode as I used the peregrine 3500 bag there instead. Primary reasons for me to go revo frame were that I like packing meat between frame and bag and like to swap bags out quickly.