Advice needed: Kiddo totin’ packs

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
Alright, so my 2yr old boy has CP, and likely wont be able to walk unassisted for several years. He LOVES the outdoors and is showing a heightened interest every day about nature. I want to be able to take him along in my walks while shed hunting, scouting, in a way that is comfortable for him. I have strapped a carseat onto my Kifaru frame with a grab-it and compression straps, but it is quite a pain to manage and it keeps him in too reclined of a position.

I need something that can comfortably tote a 30-70lb kiddo (for him and myself), that can still hold the essiential day gear that we both require - water, food, stove and such along with a few diapers of course. I have looked around at the Dueter Kid comforts online, and they seem to be the closest thing I can find.

Does anyone have any experience with this they could help me out with and maybe answer a few questions? Or even other pack suggestions? I kinda want to “buy once, cry once” on this deal to get something rugged and dependable for obvious reasons.

Akicita

WKR
I have only used and can endorse the Osprey Poco Premium. I have used it with my grand kids through the ages of 4 on back country and high country adventures. It has held up well and is comfortable and secure. When my kids were little I papoosed them on a freighter frame.

My solution was to strap an Osprey Poco plus to my duplex frame with two horizontal compression straps. It worked great because it was comfortable for my kids and me since the suspension on the poco isnt the best for the carrier but very comfortable for the kids, most of the time my son would fall asleep in it. It probably wont work up to 70 lbs but no mass produced child carrier will hold that much weight to my knowledge.

Actually my poco is just lying around the house, great condition. You can have it for the price of shipping. PM me if youre interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
I think any baby carrier could work some just have different features than others. I would just research those features and look into what is best for your family. It came down to two different ones for us- the Thule and Osprey. We decided to go with the Thule because at the time two years ago, osprey didn't have side entrance, you could only insert the baby at the top which works well, but we do appreciate the side entry at times too in our Thule as its just a click of a buckle. We have done alot of backcounty hikes and car camping trips with our Thule no issues for these past two years, this summer it will really be put to the test at we are doing some backcountry camping with our son, leaving the vehicle miles behind us! Bottom line look at the specs and what all each pack has to offer and narrow them down by what suits you and your family!

*** BTW GO YOU!!! For getting the littles outdoors! They LOVE IT! No matter how far or how long my son sits in his carrier not once has he been upset in it!

bAufeKBFWgi24097yYdAafTsBbCxRWTx4i_NpD3_y6hOvzCqPxZ5y4RB2eARWCaGK-mND3hfi1xZjrwyVMd_dgfzZ3a-PqZoIOQe8HnSJU7BpyoSjxJ-lTE3xZ4o7SoYad4sXYGMWA

oizUjs8rGVANw_uXZGTAhwuV0C6Df0GiqZFp-JNKhoxbs6Ls7t6xuXMo4trK82EOXfN9waco95-t2_iSQurwyiSMj9SZoxEoN97lwFjptZi2cvsQWXkPAUKYMpaSO7N83RtXy-nXIg

o8hOoMQZLwGf58dD7-ej4eTF_NHjVw-s-KIhOCsMqEVRu-IAiJubH2260w9RzRpacyRCFPNeyzXJtouErsRsU4dH69-gE-OiWhANh4L2Ik3nVVgMlWuGya1aZZpe23fiKJm8EbjhgQ

_m09G7QBuo9kQwuLsyfKiqUaIZbsXFQ5dhl7coyDbgYbLVtyhGSbCa6VSX9NZ0SO4S-YNTbB-p42E74-jN8WdxQzjJO-51zJwVGx-mfWZufjmwpfuUDZNx9shRjMIeayzW0ursHpFg

Last edited:

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've got a kid comfort and the suspension is no good for me. It's ok for the first couple miles, but past that the lack of load lift is a killer.

Taking the harness and belt off the Deuter and using large zipties to connect it to a better pack is my solution.

DaveC

WKR
Strapping a kid carrier to a frame is the way to go. If you’re used to hunting loads your kid will outgrow the carrier before they get too heavy. My 2.5 year old is 39 pounds and 3’1”. The straps on the Osprey Poco no longer fit him.

We have the Osprey Poco as well. It’s great and both kids so far have had no issues. Plus Ospreys warranty is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Another +1 for the Osprey Poco. I use a grab it and two straps to secure it to my duplex frame. I had my 4 year old daughter in it just the other day. If you can't find a good deal on the Poco, the Deuter kid comfort series is my 2nd choice. The numbers 1,2 and 3 just refer to the pocket sizes. The sunshade is an add on for the Deuter, where the Poco is built in. I ran the Deuter Kid comfort 2 for my first kid. We bought the Poco when we had baby 2(only 18 months later).