Exo comfort vs. KUIU

snopro176

WKR
I have an icon 1850 and 5200 but I'm really curious about the comfort of the exoframe. If it is enough of a Improvement I would off the two bags and hopes for a 3500 somewhere down the line. I kind of like the idea of using just one bag rather than swapping back and forth between weekends. I have to say I hauled two deer out on the 1850 frame last year (75-85lb load)and although it wasn't "comfortable" it could have been a hell of a lot worse. Just curious what those of you who've tried both think.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I’ve had both and went the other way after 2
Frustrating years with the EXO bags. Just couldn’t get anything in them it felt like. Started 2014 3500. Sold that and went 2015 frame with 5500. Still couldn’t fit anything In it. That bag layout just didn’t work for me. Packed multiple elk and deer with each and they were as comfortable as you can get packing heavy. Moved on to a kuiu icon pro 3200 and immediately fit more in the bag due to the layout. Packed many heavy loads and I can’t say it’s any less comfortable than the EXO or that the EXO was any more comfortable. Now both are way ahead of the original kuiu icon which I originally went to EXO from.

svivian

WKR
I’ve had both and went the other way after 2
Frustrating years with the EXO bags. Just couldn’t get anything in them it felt like. Started 2014 3500. Sold that and went 2015 frame with 5500. Still couldn’t fit anything In it. That bag layout just didn’t work for me. Packed multiple elk and deer with each and they were as comfortable as you can get packing heavy. Moved on to a kuiu icon pro 3200 and immediately fit more in the bag due to the layout. Packed many heavy loads and I can’t say it’s any less comfortable than the EXO or that the EXO was any more comfortable. Now both are way ahead of the original kuiu icon which I originally went to EXO from.

I'm curious what wouldn't fit into the exo or had trouble fitting into it?

bmart2622

WKR
Hmmm....thats interesting. Lenny and Steve do a lot of backpack hunting and seem to make the Exo work great for extended trips. Im not sure what you couldnt fit in a 5500ci bag but could fit in a 3200ci bag?

HeadnWest

WKR
I have had both packs, EXO and KUIU Icon Pro. I owned a KUIU for about a month, until hauling my tree stand and gear, about 30 lbs. seemed uncomfortable. I just did not care for the belt or suspension. The frame seemed very stiff like a board on my back. I switched to an EXO and it is night and day difference. Very comfortable with both light and heavy loads. Love the bags as well.

As far as not being able to fit anything in my EXO bag... I loaded up 7 days worth of gear in my 3500 this past year. I guess its all how you pack and load it.

twall13

WKR
No experience with the Kuiu frames but I've tried all three Exo bags and I really like them. When the above posters says he "can't fit" anything in them, I think he must be referring to not liking the layout for his use. I did a 5 day backpack trip with the Exo 3500 and didn't need to use the load shelf or have crap hanging on the outside. That's about the max I could fit, but it was doable. I now use the 5500 and I'm positive I could get 10 days out of it.

Some people prefer more organization pockets for easy access. Some people prefer almost none. I personally think Exo does an awesome job of finding the middle ground and the amount of organization provided works out perfectly for me. The Exo bags have plenty of space in them (more than their ratings as the outside pockets aren't used in their calculations) but if the layout doesn't work for you it doesn't matter how much space they have. Everyone is different, decide what works for you and go with it.

Last edited:
Not sure what that guy is getting at. The 5500 can do ten days, and the bag layout was very organization friendly for me. My buddy has been using that same exact pack for three years since I used it. It's hauled everything from 60+ lbs of bear bait plus gear, 80+ lbs of elk antler plus gear, and just regular hunting gear. I always felt like there was a place for everything to stay organized. I went from an Ultra to that 2014 Exo. There's no valid comparison. The Exo frame is far more comfortable both with heavy loads and in day pack mode. Load control and compression are more effective with the Exo as well. And the new K2 is a significant improvement on the 2014 I had. The bag attachment is far superior too, I had a hard time keeping the Kuiu on the stays at the top of the bag.

I love my Exo 3500 that I've had for a couple years. It's a great size for me and I can get 5 days out of it without loading any food into the meat shelf area. It is really comfortable up to around the 80 lb mark and starts to get a little less comfortable after that. I don't have any experience with the Kuiu packs though.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
2017Exo 5500 K2 most comfortable pack I've owned . I'm old and slow so comfort is really important . They can carry a heavy load and more shit than you need .

mcseal2

WKR
I love my 3500 Exo. I tried a 2015 Kuiu Ultra 1800 I think was the size and returned it after one training hike with 50lbs. The Exo just fits me better. Packs are like boots, its more about what fits you personally than what works for everyone else. The best thing to do is get somewhere that you can try as many of them as possible on.

My post above referring to not fitting anything into the pack is based on two years of use both backpack Hunting and day hunts. Looking at roughly 80-90 days of use. The bag layouts just don’t work for me and 2000 cubic isn’t enough for year round use. The single vertical zipper about eliminates the top 1/4 or 1/3 of the bag for real functional use unless every time you want into the pack you undo the lid, snow collar and go in top down. Believe me I really tried to find a bag that works for me on an EXO frame. In the end switching loads with a friend using kuiu icon pro there was no noticeable difference in comfort for me. Both packs were about 100 pounds. His weighed in at 104 mine was right there but we didn’t weigh it. I don’t like or use dedicated spotter and tripod pockets so that takes a huge chunk of volume away from the EXO bags as well. I even considered getting a 2000 bag and rigging a horn hauler to it but that just didn’t seem that functional or cost effective. I now have two icon pro’s and a Stone Glacier krux sky 7400 to try out and will be adding an Xcurve sky 5900 to test as well. I believe I gave EXO a fair chance and being frustrated with the bag daily did it in after two years. Not everyone will have the same experience but for my body both are too close to tell a difference on comfort.

dotman

WKR
My post above referring to not fitting anything into the pack is based on two years of use both backpack Hunting and day hunts. Looking at roughly 80-90 days of use. The bag layouts just don’t work for me and 2000 cubic isn’t enough for year round use. The single vertical zipper about eliminates the top 1/4 or 1/3 of the bag for real functional use unless every time you want into the pack you undo the lid, snow collar and go in top down. Believe me I really tried to find a bag that works for me on an EXO frame. In the end switching loads with a friend using kuiu icon pro there was no noticeable difference in comfort for me. Both packs were about 100 pounds. His weighed in at 104 mine was right there but we didn’t weigh it. I don’t like or use dedicated spotter and tripod pockets so that takes a huge chunk of volume away from the EXO bags as well. I even considered getting a 2000 bag and rigging a horn hauler to it but that just didn’t seem that functional or cost effective. I now have two icon pro’s and a Stone Glacier krux sky 7400 to try out and will be adding an Xcurve sky 5900 to test as well. I believe I gave EXO a fair chance and being frustrated with the bag daily did it in after two years. Not everyone will have the same experience but for my body both are too close to tell a difference on comfort.

I have to agree, I had an EXO 3500 and 2000 bags on my Kifaru frame. I just didn’t like the 3500’s layout, the 2000 was great but just too small, it would be even better if it was 3500ci. I think it would be a huge improvement if EXO changed the design of the 3500 and 5500 to the same layout of the 2000.

I also have tried the Kuiu Ultra 1800, 3000 and 6000, I liked the layout but not the thin material.

HeadnWest

WKR

But you didn't reference the 2000 in your original post, you said you "couldn't fit anything" in your 5500. Which is a pretty misleading statement. You can fit a whole lot of stuff in it, just not the way you personally might want.

I gotta agree with James. He's explained he didn't like the bag layout of the bigger bags. He said he liked the 2000 layout but it wasn't big enough to buy and attempt to use. He just doesn't like the EXO. It's not the end of the world. Open your mind up to to that reality and, his posts are not confusing.

colersu22

WKR
I have to agree, I had an EXO 3500 and 2000 bags on my Kifaru frame. I just didn’t like the 3500’s layout, the 2000 was great but just too small, it would be even better if it was 3500ci. I think it would be a huge improvement if EXO changed the design of the 3500 and 5500 to the same layout of the 2000.

I also have tried the Kuiu Ultra 1800, 3000 and 6000, I liked the layout but not the thin material.

I also had a 3500 EXO and the 2000 EXO and agree that the bag layout would be sweet if they made the 3500 and 5500 like the 2000.

As for the OP question I have never used a KUIU frame or bag but I liked my EXO frame(pre K2) but got a Kifaru frame 2 years ago since it has the ability to individually adjust the shoulder straps which makes the frame more comfortable for me with having different height shoulders. There is a recent thread about a guy buying the KUIU to try out and he has used the Kifaru in the past so I would check that thread out because he seemed to be liking it.

I'd like to see the 3500 offered in the same layout as the 2000 as well.
Honestly I find it ridiculous that they have the 2000 laid out the way they do but not the 3500 and 5500. If the bigger bags were laid out the same as the 2000, I would've bought one for sure. Once you have a panel loading pack, it's really hard not to have one forever. Which is why when I switched from the Icon Pro that I went with the SG Sky 5900 instead of the Exo 5500.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm taking a trip to Boise for a vacation in May, I'm going to swing by exo's HQ and check one out personally. I was really hoping to hear a lot of good about the 3500 haha. Anyone think they could get 3-4days out of a 2000+lid?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk