Kifaru.....almost ready to pull the trigger

MrGallop

FNG
After trying multiple packs in the last few years (Badlands, Horn Hunter, Kuiu, etc), I think I may be finally ready to try out a Kifaru. I have had a tough time getting any of my previous packs to fit well with 50#s or more. I'm 6' and 155 lbs but have a semi flat back and no butt to speak of(says my wife!) Most of my hunts are 4-5 day outings in Northern UT mountains and a few over-nighters through the summer. I have to admit I do like to keep my gear organized so I'm slightly worried about the Kifaru since most of their packs are just large bags unless you add extra pockets.
I have spent countless hours on here reading through reviews and watching every video possible but just haven't brought myself to pull the trigger yet. I am leaning towards a Reckoning in Ranger green with a hunting frame. I was also planning on adding 2 med belt pouches, a guide lid, an organizer pocket, and a water bottle holder all in Highlander camo.
Does this combo make sense or does anyone have better suggestions? Wondering if this is overkill too? Also curious about the color combos? I love the looks of the ranger green but wondering if the Highlander looks decent mixed with it.
Thanks for any input!

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
After trying multiple packs in the last few years (Badlands, Horn Hunter, Kuiu, etc), I think I may be finally ready to try out a Kifaru. I have had a tough time getting any of my previous packs to fit well with 50#s or more. I'm 6' and 155 lbs but have a semi flat back and no butt to speak of(says my wife!) Most of my hunts are 4-5 day outings in Northern UT mountains and a few over-nighters through the summer. I have to admit I do like to keep my gear organized so I'm slightly worried about the Kifaru since most of their packs are just large bags unless you add extra pockets.
I have spent countless hours on here reading through reviews and watching every video possible but just haven't brought myself to pull the trigger yet. I am leaning towards a Reckoning in Ranger green with a hunting frame. I was also planning on adding 2 med belt pouches, a guide lid, an organizer pocket, and a water bottle holder all in Highlander camo.
Does this combo make sense or does anyone have better suggestions? Wondering if this is overkill too? Also curious about the color combos? I love the looks of the ranger green but wondering if the Highlander looks decent mixed with it.
Thanks for any input!

Keep in mind that others are saying that Kifaru is going to be coming out with a new frame soon. May be worth the wait. I too like the Highlander, however I spoke with a guy at the Pacific Northwest Sportsman Show and he told me that he thought the non camo packs were more water resistant. He thought maybe it was the coating on the material, but not sure. Wondering if anyone else feels this way that owns one???

jmden

WKR
Might keep an eye out for a DT 2 bag as they have great external pockets for quickly accessible spotting scope and tripod, etc. as well as a couple of small external pockets for small items you want accessible. With one of the lids they have, that gives more space and another pocket. I'm running one on a bikini frame and have had loads up to 130lbs--that's not fun with any frame. Routinely run 80-90lbs when hunting and seems OK. Make sure and try the differnent thickness of lumbar pads to see which one works best for you and it may depend on how much weight you are packing...?

I think camo colors are a matter of preference. I have a ranger green reckoning. It has some coyote medium pockets and a guideline and some multicam pouches on the belt because that’s what I had. Looks fine to me.

I agree that I would prefer a bit more organization options to be built into Kifaru designs. After playing with a woodsman for last year I went to a pintler for a short haul Pack. One of the decision points was the built in bladder pocket And top pocket. It’s a point of preference and the counterpoint for Kifaru is it lets you organize how you want. Only I would add is that I think they redesigned their guide lid to a two pocket system. I would prefer that over the original.

As far as function, I think the reckoning is just about perfect for a 4-5 day trip. The ability to expand the collar and capacity means it could probably go far longer for most. It will be a bit much for over nights but will strap down Fine.

The reckoning is a sweet set up for that duration of a hunt.
There are other options too, like the new Fulcrum.
You can really never "over do it" with a Kifaru as they compress down nicely when not jam packed full.

I am the guy that likes a hollow bag, so I can situate each item in the space allowed. I do get pouches added on, incl the guide lid for certain things like easy access to rain gear or puffy jackets, snacks etc..

My favorite Kifaru bag of all times is the AMR.
It is one big sleeping bag, like I like, but then it has tons of pals webbing allowing me to customize it with pouches of all different sizes making it totally personalized and organized.

As for the color, I love the Ranger Green and Coyote Brown- all I use in my set ups.
If they ever did a Cipher pattern I would get that.

OP
M

MrGallop

FNG
Thanks for the quick responses! I appreciate all the input-was planning on waiting a couple more weeks to see what happens with the new frames and now I have a couple other ideas to look into as well.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to be getting a new Kifaru system here in a little while, after I see what the new frame looks like. I have settled on a Reckoning as well. I decided that I will be going with what will be muted for where I usually hunt (Ranger Green packbag, multi cam pouches, and coyote lid with some coyote spotter pockets-Thanks pods8!). I prefer not having a camo pack for a lot of reasons.

In the end, in addition to the pack I will have:
3 medium belt pouches (@ bottom on each side & on the lid)
1 small belt pouch (on the belt)
1 Grab It (tons of uses)
2 spotter pockets (most likely only use them when I need the extra space)
1 standard lid (I prefer the way it fully cradles the top of the pack in case I need to use the full height of the bag for extra space, plus it wraps around head & horns better from what I can tell)

With the Reckoning I will have enough room for most of what I do (typically 3-5 day hunts, very rare that I go longer) and when I need a little more space the side/spotter pockets and other pouches will bridge that gap.

FlyGuy

WKR
I am going to be getting a new Kifaru system here in a little while, after I see what the new frame looks like. I have settled on a Reckoning as well. I decided that I will be going with what will be muted for where I usually hunt (Ranger Green packbag, multi cam pouches, and coyote lid with some coyote spotter pockets-Thanks pods8!). I prefer not having a camo pack for a lot of reasons.

In the end, in addition to the pack I will have:
3 medium belt pouches (@ bottom on each side & on the lid)
1 small belt pouch (on the belt)
1 Grab It (tons of uses)
2 spotter pockets (most likely only use them when I need the extra space)
1 standard lid (I prefer the way it fully cradles the top of the pack in case I need to use the full height of the bag for extra space, plus it wraps around head & horns better from what I can tell)

With the Reckoning I will have enough room for most of what I do (typically 3-5 day hunts, very rare that I go longer) and when I need a little more space the side/spotter pockets and other pouches will bridge that gap.

I have pretty much the same set up with a few minor differences.

Not sure how you would really use the spotter pockets on the Reckoning? Maybe you know something I don't? I would suggest using the money else where.

I prefer a large pouch to use on top of the snow collar.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I have pretty much the same set up with a few minor differences.

Not sure how you would really use the spotter pockets on the Reckoning? Maybe you know something I don't? I would suggest using the money else where.

I prefer a large pouch to use on top of the snow collar.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

I am having pods8 make me some custom spotter pockets. Instead of the Kifaru attachment system he is putting PALS webbing down the back of the pockets . They will be used mainly on my MR Dragonslayer when I go for overnight scouting trips. The webbing will work on each pack and utilize the horizontal compression straps to attach. Options

When I have the Reckoning on my back I will rarely use them, and I will definitely have a pouch on the top of the pack (medium) whether I have the lid on it or not as it attaches to both the lid and the pack itself.

For my uses the spotter pockets will be well worth the expense as they will add versatility to both of my packs and my entire backpacking system. The extra 1200ci or so will extend the range of each pack if I need it.

I guess I should have specified they aren't Kifaru spotter pockets. I am familiar with their gear as I had a G2 Longhunter for the last 7 years or so.

Last edited:

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I think Kifaru makes a great system with an incredible frame and belt. I almost bought one last week but ended up going with the Stone Glacier. No idea if you'd be interested, but if you want to put hands on a SG, I am probably close to your neck of the woods. PM me if you're interested. Could help you seal the decision on the Kifaru, or at least check out one other option first.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
924321487bdc7cb62dc1c47553f907a6.jpg

1814844a6f4165165d487c8c377c2f83.jpg
0f631d2709f546feb6ee8dcdaf58afae.jpg

Trying this again from Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk