Looking for a new day pack

Bmcox86

WKR
Looking for help picking out a new day pack for mushroom hunting/small game/fishing.
Moving on from the kifaru quandry after 1 season and thinking about either going back to kuiu icon pro 1850 with suspension or trying a mystery ranch or another brand? Who's got suggestions. Looking at sizes 2000 or less and $250 or less price tag.

So far I've tossed around the idea of a mystery ranch scape goat 25 or going back to a icon pro 1850.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

frankrb3

WKR
No experience personally but I've always liked size of the stone glacier avail. Sounds like it would meet your criteria. Also the new mystery ranch pop ups are a decent size, especially the 18 for shrooming but if I was gonna get one I'd get the 28. Just more more space in the bag. I think it would also be cool taking something like a plastic military jerry can and stick it between your bag and frame. This would give you a rigid container for a whole lot of shrooms while you keep trekking. The openings on those tan military jerry cans should be large enough for even the most prized morels.

Weekender

WKR
Looking for help picking out a new day pack for mushroom hunting/small game/fishing.
Moving on from the kifaru quandry after 1 season and thinking about either going back to kuiu icon pro 1850 with suspension or trying a mystery ranch or another brand? Who's got suggestions. Looking at sizes 2000 or less and $250 or less price tag.

So far I've tossed around the idea of a mystery ranch scape goat 25 or going back to a icon pro 1850.

I’ve enjoyed the SG avail. Good multi function bag that looks good . Feel like the 1850 might handle a little more weight in the frameless option if that’s important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
i bought a used Mystery Ranch DragonSlayer. i overpaid,but you dont have to ;)

i think the use you describe is it's superpower. it is a scooch on the small side when i take big game hunting. my optics eat up pack space quickly. i took it cottontail hunting in the high desert (where i could easily get lost and die) and brought water and a fair amount of clothing and survival type stuff. chasing rabbits it was damn perfect. in the dark, i clipped my .22 to the side and meandered out.

i took it on a day trip fishing and i clipped my 2-piece rod on the same way..on the way out. in the dark.

just my opinion.

Cantharellus

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I used my Kifaru Scout for all of my mushroom, small game, and fishing trips. I actually downgraded in size to the Tailgunner this year with plans on picking up a larger pack for 'heavier' day hikes and traveling. I've been looking at a lot of the options that last few weeks, still haven't landed on a solid choice yet. The Scapegoat 25 was one of the options on my list.

The Stone Glacier Avail is another one I've been considering and is currently the top contender, although it's a little more expensive and slightly larger than your listed requirements.

A few others from my running list are the Mystery Ranch Scree (don't like the looks as much as the Scapegoat), the Kifaru 14'r (bigger and more expensive than you require), Kifaru Antero (also more expensive, but would serve as a good EDC pack as well). Also took a quick look at some of the Sitka packs, but they only come in camo which is fine, except I prefer solid colors for traveling.

Triple Aught Design Fastpack litespeed or Prometheus Design Werx SHADO pack 28L would both work for those tasks. I have owned both and still own the shado pack. They are both compatable with a belt, I use a kifaru omni for the shado pack. The fastpack litespeed is a little smaller but a realy well built pack.

I don't have any experience with the Stone Glacier Avail 2200 but I think it would work great too, just based on size and features.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TFP

FNG
I've got a US made Mystery Ranch dragon slayer that I'd let go for $250.

Trial153

WKR
if your not hauling meat i cant see what you give up going to a pack with a built in suspension.
the scape goat is a nice pack for the money. I like my 14r and with out any added pockets its about the size you want. That said its awfully exepensive for what it is.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a US made Mystery Ranch dragon slayer that I'd let go for $250.

Same as mine, if it is the model with no side stretch pockets... Great for a day pack up to a 2 night stay early in the season if you have good gear. The 3 zip is rad and the option of 2 different belt configurations is great.

I love mine and have no plans to replace it. If I did it would be with a SG Avail most likely.

For the uses the OP described it would be great. If that pack is in good shape the $250 is worth it to me.
I have used mine grouse hunting (water for dog, food for dog, snacks for me, and water) when I take a long loop out and back. I have used it fishing for longer days out... it just works great up to 35lbs.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
lots of good candidates listed; the Popup is definitely a contender when you consider it can also haul if the need arises

I have a Tailgunner and for day trips fishing/small game hunting, I think it would work handsomely as well

Trial153

WKR
i just got a pop 18 and treehouse for 317 shipped from optics planet...i will let you guys know what i think of it ....

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of packs that fall into the "why did they stop making it?" category... the Dragonslayer is one of those packs for me. There are a few Kifaru packs like this as well. We won't know what goes on business and sales wise I guess.

I want to hear real use reviews a few of the newer MR small packs... Pop up 18, Treehouse, both Scapegoat packs, Divide.

I get that they went offshore for cost and finding a groove in the market.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
i just got a pop 18 and treehouse for 317 shipped from optics planet...i will let you guys know what i think of it ....

I might be misreading, but you got both packs for $317 shipped? that's seems like almost too good to be true

Trial153

WKR
I might be misreading, but you got both packs for $317 shipped? that's seems like almost too good to be true

Yea is is. I was waiting for them to cancel my order and then I received a shipping confirmation later in the day.
There was a 3 hour window yesterday on the website with insane prices.

LaHunter

WKR
I recently picked up a MR Scapegoat 35 from a fellow Rockslider. I've only used it a few times, but for a day pack, this seems to be a solid choice. The quality of construction impressed me enough, that I bought a MR Metcalf w/ the GL frame. The Scapegoat 35 has a pretty narrow profile, so it would not be bumping into trees / brush, etc. Also, you can move really well with it on.

Good luck on your choice

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
2nd on the SG Avail - like that pack very much. Not “perfect” - but getting close.
Downsides for me:

1. Load panel on the back is sewn at the bottom, so it cant expand quite as much as I would prefer to handle bulky/awkward stuff
2. No great place for a nalgene. I have not tried their hydro holster yet though.
3. Bungee loops all over that joker on the inside. A bit overkill for my uses.

Upsides
1. Sleek/trim, very comfortable
2. Good organization options without 3000 zippers and tiny pockets
3. Lightweight, durable construction
4. Can easily do overnight trips

I go back and forth between this and my Kifaru spike camp all the time. If I could find a way to lock these 2 in a closet and wait 9 months - the resulting offspring would be the “perfect for me” daypack.

OP
Bmcox86

Bmcox86

WKR
What are the big differences between the dragon Slayer and scape goat? Besides the obvious stretch pocket.