Any love for the MR metcalf

boom

WKR
I have had a bunch of packs. It is the one i wish I started with. I wouldnt have wasted so much time and money. I have not hunted with it, but I have hauled some big backpack trip loads. It is my most comfortable pack so far. I just got it not to long ago.

It just feels burly. Like it’s overbuilt. There is a tare weight penalty. I’ll accept that if I can’t drag it across the wilderness.

You probably hear less about MR here because of the Kifaru is strong with this forum. Metcalf Is the go to Pack for Randy newberg, a handsome man of impeccable tastes with far more hunting miles than I will ever have.

I just got mine so not a lot of miles on it yet. I have other mr packs and they are great haulers. I am still getting to know the guide light frame but the only difference I can tell between it and the nice frame is the weight and I like pals webbing on the belt. I am sure the Nice is more rigid but I doubt it would make a ton of difference for most applications.

Metcalf is slick. Not much in the way of pockets or organization. It is very light as a bag.

Trial153

WKR
I really like mine, hauls fantastic on the guide like frame. Simple bag design, pretty clrean. i can 7-10 days on it no problem.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m the same as Matt. I’d say 90% of the time I use my Metcalf. Hauls all I can handle.

Super bag for hauling decent loads. I sold mine only because I didn't need the capacity and didn't personally prefer hunting with it partially collapsed. That's not a ding against the pack...it's about as near-perfect as they come. I can only imagine how nice the Met bag is combined with the Guide Light frame.

power54

FNG
I use my Metcalf (NICE frame) for hunting and backpacking trips, up to a week. I've packed out numerous elk, deer, antelope and a few caribou with the pack. It is bombproof, comfortable and well designed. The only knock is that it's a bit heavy but I have no doubt that it will perform so I don't mind the extra weight.

ams

WKR
I’m a super duper Seek Outside fan but will be running a Metcalf this year. I really like the whole design from the frame to the bag and now that the belt acts more like a one piece belt it works good for me.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The guidelight frame is solid, I used that all last season. After 90lb I get a little slip due to where my waist fits the belt (which I bottom out at that load) but I try to stay under 90 so not a big concern to me. I run my own bags but the metcalf seems pretty solid in the size range, its a tad strappy for my personal preference (and I like at least one long exterior pocket and don't like the side straps covering the zipper). I picked up a stone glacier EVO and I'll build a bag for specifically for bivy hunting but I will definitely continue to run my guidelight frame on other hunts.

I’ve got a metcalf on the way. Just couldn’t fit all of my overnight stuff and my Woodbury coat/sanctuary bibs in the pintler. I’m excited to load it up and take it out. I doubt I’ll need the lid so I like the option to leave it behind.

CorbLand

WKR
Love my metcalf. My only complaints are that it’s heavy but that’s the price you pay for it being built like a tank. It also has a lot of buckles and that can be annoying. Carries heavy loads like a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple MR packs. Love them. Never see myself changing it up. I have the metcalf and the Marshall and there are things in the marshal
I wish the metcalf had, bottom zipper primarily. Aside from that they are amazing. Looking forward to getting my pintler next week and throwing it on the frame.

Love my metcalf. My only complaints are that it’s heavy but that’s the price you pay for it being built like a tank. It also has a lot of buckles and that can be annoying. Carries heavy loads like a dream.

Yah the number of buckles can be overwhelming... the marshal is even worse. But yes this is a pack you could drag behind the truck and it would come out ok

cocky84

WKR
This is really good to hear. Just got my Marshall last week and cant wait to use it this fall. Would of probably went with the Metcalf but it was sold out in my size in multicam. I heard next year MR will be offering bag only options so can swap out when need be.

Have been running the mystery ranch nice frame and Metcalf bag for a few years now. This past year i dropped the lid as i don't need the space/ weight/ organization it offers (however it is a very useful lid if needed). I had pods8 make some side pouches and a Nalgene pouch, both of which are bombproof. The straps and buckles are a bit overwhelming and some might not be necessary depending on use. I recently ordered a mule bag and 40L drybag I will be trying out for shorter trips or mule only for day hikes. This pack might be a bit heavier than some packs on the market but they are built like a brick shithouse and will ride great with or without a load.