Looking for a Pack with External Pockets

I'm a big fan of real external pockets in a pack so I bought a Kuiu Icon 7200 a couple of years ago. I like the pack but I'd like to explore some other options to see if I can find the perfect frame and hip belt fit. I had a Kifaru Long Hunter in the early 2000's then switched to a Barney's external because I didn't like the lack of external pockets and the weight management of the Kifaru. I've been checking out the Kifaru, Exo Mtn, and Stone Glacier Websites and haven't really found a pack that looks like it has the external pockets that I want. I am not interested in any sort of removable pockets. I'd like a pocket arrangement similar to the Icon or my Barney's pack with 2 long side pockets and at least one central pocket and a top pocket the lid as well. Maybe this kind of pocket style had fallen out of favor but I love to organize my scope, tripod and frequently needed gear in external pockets. I know that the pockets add a little weight but I'm willing to make that sacrifice. Please let me know if you have any recommendations for me. Thanks!

Curious to know why you don't like the removable pockets. I love being able to fit different pockets where I want to fit my preference. To each their own. Just curious.

Cantharellus

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like I accidently deleted my post when I went to edit it.

I would suggest checking out the Kifaru DT2 or DT1 if you want more capacity. Duplex Timberline. I've been running a DT2 on a Bikini and then Hunting Frame for the last 4 years and love it. I've considered replacing it a few times with some other packs that I'm curious about checking out, but I can't bring myself to do it.

It has two side pockets for scopes, tripods, etc. and two zippered pockets on the back for whatever. I use a standard lid without any pockets, but you can get a lid with pocket(s) for it as well.

I did notice that it was recently moved to the Rhino Den and is no longer on the site at all. I didn't hear word that they discontinued it, but that could be the case. If you're interested I'm sure you could find one on the secondary market though.

kickemall

WKR
Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900 sounds pretty close, two long side pockets and pocketed lid. Just missing the center pocket.

weisenbu

Lil-Rokslider
I run the EXO 3500 and it has all of the features that you mention. It has two long side pockets, two side stretch pockets, a large stretch pocket on the back of the pack, and a pocket in the lid. I also use two of their stash pockets right inside the side-zip and two hip pockets. Lots of organization but still pretty light. It’s a nice pack that carries weight well.

bmart2622

WKR
Im with you, I hate the removable pockets too. The Sky Talus has big side pockets. I have a T3 which is the little brother of the T1 and T2 and it has 2 medium sized pockets on the front and a large slot pockets on each side.

Another vote for non moveable pockets. I like to keep my pack organized and if I have the ability to change shit up I forget where I put everything. I’m also afraid of losing a pocket with stuff in it. I had a custom pack made by a gentlemen from the site, pods8 (rugged stitching) and it’s fantastic. It was built the exact way I wanted and I like it so much I’m asking him to build me another one. I run a MR frame for reference.

Maybe look at mystery ranch. Dana Gleason has built packs with two external pocket for years. With a lid pocket, they work well for me. The marshal and the pintler or selway designs, with internal pockets are my favorites.

OP
A
Thanks for all of the replies guys! Some good ideas to get me started. I really don't understand why my desired pack isn't readily available since many of these packs are made to order so there isn't really an inventory problem. I must be a contrarian but I figure I should really get what I want if I'm spending $800 ish. Here are some answers and additional thoughts.

~ I don't like removable pockets because they aren't as sleek and I'm afraid to lose one. I was never a fan of Patrick's use of Velcro and pack modularity. My Long Hunter had several ounces of Velcro sewn on it.
~ The side and center pockets must have zippers so that I don't lose stuff. Additional stretch pockets are certainly desirable for helping to secure guns, poles, etc. but I gotta have at least 3 zippered pockets on the main pack and one on the lid.
~ I love my Barney's pack, and it is bombproof, but it is a little heavy and there are many times that I prefer an internal frame pack.
~ I hadn't thought of a custom pack but it's a great idea and I'd like to learn more about options in the custom area. I bought a kids backpack and had it sewn onto my Long Hunter as a center pocket but that was 15 years ago and I forgot about that:)

I was browsing the dark web yesterday and came upon a fully custom pack maker, maybe he’d help you out, his story is really interesting and his packs seem pretty highly regarded. McHale packs, old school website but maybe worth looking in to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pods8, a sponsor on this site does excellent work and makes a lot of bags custom. I was in the same boat as you and got with pods to make me a day bag for whitetail hunting. With his help and knowledge, he basically refined my ideas into a bag with two water bottle pockets, a top pocket instead of a roll top closure, a horse shoe zip opening, and one large pocket below the horse shoe opening. Mass produced pack makers can’t do that due to differences in opinions. So, they offer removable pockets or a bag with a few stock options. You need a custom maker and pods gets my nod

I’ll second pods8’s work. The two bags I’ve got from him are fantastic and the third is going to be pretty sweet as well.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah differing opinions and also I suspect cost are a big component of lack of pockets, its obviously cheaper/faster to build a bag with less features which gets folks in the door. If you look at what each removable pocket costs from a manufacturer just add that to the price of the pack (ballpark) and that's likely what they'd charge you for that pack with those pockets since it takes just as much labor to build a stand alone pocket as to build it into the bag (vs a plain bag) generally speaking. Look at the mystery ranch Metcalf and marshall for instance, the amount of material to make the marshall bag larger isn't really a factor in the cost difference, that extra $70 is for the two tube pockets and bottom zipper.

Anyways as noted by Justin and WV if you find the frame that suits you well (which would be my personal priority) and need a specific bag feel free to reach out. Between a full custom bag or in some cases folks are having me modify bags to go between manufacturers (where feasible) the possibility to get your "ideal bag" is out there. :)

PS Justin/WV been juggling the backlog (and had a trip come up) but your bags are on deck for me to start into this week.

gelton

WKR
I am in the same boat as the OP which is why I keep using the old DT1. A panel loader Timberline 1 would be awesome.

Add a zippered to the top of side pockets to close them. Eliminate the bottom zipper and replace it with two lengthwise zippers on either side of the two center pockets and it would be just about a perfect bag.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another satisfied customer of rugged stitching here. I honestly can’t tell a difference in build quality from his bag and the sg bag.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Pods8,
Is it possible to reproduce models from existing manufacturers? I currently run a T1 internal frame. I love it, but am fully aware that I'll eventually give in and run a frame/bag combo. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anyone willing to sell me a multicam DT1 bag. Is it possible to duplicate that bag since they don't offer it anymore. My problem with all of Kifaru's new bags is the absence of the bottom zipper/sleeping bag compartment. That's a deal breaker for the way I use my pack. I love the idea of a fully custom bag with every little design tweak I would like.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm here to help you make your ideal bag/accessories/etc but if someone already makes your ideal bag then buy it from them. ;) There are only so many ideas/ways to build a bag so chances are your idea is going to resemble something (or parts of something) someone somewhere does or has produced at some point. Be respectful of their ideas with your requests but generally speaking we can make up what you need (again if I notice someone asking me to make what's already out there as-is I'm just going to point them to that).