New Pack Choice

OP
Jayhawkhunter
I appreciate everyone's input and expertise, I'm still new to Western Backpacking hunting, so I value you guys and your experience. I am going to borrow a Kifaru and I've ordered a Marshall and will see how I like it. I can return it within 30 days so I'm excited to get them on my back.

OP
Jayhawkhunter
Received my Marshall yesterday and am getting a Reckoning this evening to test out. Going to load them both with about 50# and see how they feel. First impression of the MR is I love the bag, high-quality product for sure. Can't say much about the frame/suspension until I get some weight on it. I will let you know how the comparison comes out.

Thanks again for all your help.

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
Received my Marshall yesterday and am getting a Reckoning this evening to test out. Going to load them both with about 50# and see how they feel. First impression of the MR is I love the bag, high-quality product for sure. Can't say much about the frame/suspension until I get some weight on it. I will let you know how the comparison comes out.

Thanks again for all your help.

Awesome! Let us know how you like each one. A list of likes and dislikes for each would be great!

RAPTOR

WKR
SG is awesome. Light, and I love the way a 5900 CI pack can compress down to day pack size.

OP
Jayhawkhunter
Here is my beginner, amateur review of the following packs

1) MR Marshall, Guide Light Frame, Size L
2) Kifaru Reckoning with Hunting Frame, composite stays, 24 inch, system also had: guide lid, Nalgene pocket, small belt pouch and two medium pouches on the sides of the bag (this was borrowed from a friend)

1) MR - really like this bag - top load, side zipper and bottom speed load. Size of the bag seems perfect for 5-7 days and the build quality appears fantastic, I would say the build quality is on par with the Kifaru - straps/buckles, etc seem to be the same quality and size as the Kifaru. The frame/suspension is very comfortable and easily adjusted. The lumbar pad and waist belt isn't as comfortable as the Kifaru but it isn't to far off. The value for this set up is hard to look past, for $420 I feel like I got a steal.

2) Reckoning - love this bag, especially the center zip which makes loading the bag very easy and straight forward. The bag itself is a big barrel with two side pouches. The frame/suspension is incredibly comfortable, love the lumbar pad and belt and also favor how you attach pounches to the belt on the Kifaru versus the MR.

I was surprised to find that the Kifaru set up weight about a pound more than the MR. I also liked that the Marshall had external zip pockets which can fit a spotter and tripod or other gear.

Lids: The guide lid is huge on the Kifaru, the lid on the Marshall is separated into two pockets, I felt both lids were nice, the guide lid has straps sto be a backpack while the MR has a waist belt strap only.

One other feature I really like on the MR was the waterproof zippers on the lid, and the side entry for the bag.

Conclusion: I would love to have the Kifaru setup, it's great, but my buddy spent well over $800 on this setup. The value of the MR is so substantial that I have decided to go with the Marshall and save $400. If I lived in the West and hunted all fall It might be different, but I'm not sure, the MR seems great and I am going to add a Pintler or Mule to use for deer/hog hunting which is what I spend most of my time doing. Again, thank you to everyone who helped along this road. I really appreciate you guys!

Here is my beginner, amateur review of the following packs

1) MR Marshall, Guide Light Frame, Size L
2) Kifaru Reckoning with Hunting Frame, composite stays, 24 inch, system also had: guide lid, Nalgene pocket, small belt pouch and two medium pouches on the sides of the bag (this was borrowed from a friend)

1) MR - really like this bag - top load, side zipper and bottom speed load. Size of the bag seems perfect for 5-7 days and the build quality appears fantastic, I would say the build quality is on par with the Kifaru - straps/buckles, etc seem to be the same quality and size as the Kifaru. The frame/suspension is very comfortable and easily adjusted. The lumbar pad and waist belt isn't as comfortable as the Kifaru but it isn't to far off. The value for this set up is hard to look past, for $420 I feel like I got a steal.

2) Reckoning - love this bag, especially the center zip which makes loading the bag very easy and straight forward. The bag itself is a big barrel with two side pouches. The frame/suspension is incredibly comfortable, love the lumbar pad and belt and also favor how you attach pounches to the belt on the Kifaru versus the MR.

I was surprised to find that the Kifaru set up weight about a pound more than the MR. I also liked that the Marshall had external zip pockets which can fit a spotter and tripod or other gear.

Lids: The guide lid is huge on the Kifaru, the lid on the Marshall is separated into two pockets, I felt both lids were nice, the guide lid has straps sto be a backpack while the MR has a waist belt strap only.

One other feature I really like on the MR was the waterproof zippers on the lid, and the side entry for the bag.

Conclusion: I would love to have the Kifaru setup, it's great, but my buddy spent well over $800 on this setup. The value of the MR is so substantial that I have decided to go with the Marshall and save $400. If I lived in the West and hunted all fall It might be different, but I'm not sure, the MR seems great and I am going to add a Pintler or Mule to use for deer/hog hunting which is what I spend most of my time doing. Again, thank you to everyone who helped along this road. I really appreciate you guys!

Thanks for the review. Congrats on your new pack, I hope you get to use the crap out of it!!!

OP
Jayhawkhunter
One other detail that I forgot to mention is how my bow fit on both bags. They were both fantastic when attaching my bow. The Marshall's speedzip bottom makes for a perfect cradle for the cam of my bow. The Reckoning likewise has a carry handle at the bottom of the bag that also makes a great cradle for the bow. I didn't try a rifle on either of these bags as I will be bow hunting mainly.