New Pack Choice

Looking for some advice on a new bag/frame/suspension. I hunt out West once, maybe twice a year, (live in Kansas). I have had badlands, then went to a KUIU set up and am now upgrading. I was set on a Kifaru set up and still am, but I can get a MR Marshall for around $420 right now. My question is: Is the Kifaru (Reckoning and guide frame) worth $300 more than the MR? I have the money saved for the Kifaru, but could use the other funds elsewhere. If I get the MR will I always wonder about how great the Kifaru is? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
My only MR experience is with a friend's Crew Cab (far different than the Marshall/Guide Light set up) and my own Dragonslayer. They are very well made and BOMBPROOF! So is a Kifaru.

I am positive the Marshall would carry loads well. The two differences that I know of are that the Kifaru system has a ton of versatility in that the Reckoning bag itself goes from daypack to multiday well and that the Kifaru is all sourced and made in the USA. To me theses two reasons are enough to go with a Kifaru. Your opinion may be different. You really can't go wrong with either choice.

Good luck!

Last edited:

JD619er

WKR
Bottom line is not really....i have kifaru and don't get me wrong it carries great. But mystery ranch has been one of the top pack brands for hauling heavy loads for a long time now. If your dead set on buying brand new then I would definitely pull the trigger on the mystery ranch set up. If your open to buying used then you could definitely find a kifaru for a much smaller price difference. I think there was a hunting frame and mountain warrior in the classifieds the other day for around 425? But for a guy using the pack to haul super heavy loads once maybe twice a year you really can't beat the price tag on a brand new mystery ranch pack.

JD619er

WKR
also lintonoutdoors.com had the metcalf in any color discounted to 420$ if you were interested in that setup. I believe black o is was sold out of metcalf a in most sizes so a lot of guys were picking up the Marshall.

This is the question everyone asks themselves, "what if". It's an individual answer, your opinions and evaluation may be different from others, but you should be happy with the end result. I have a Kifaru and an Exo and am happy with both, although I do wonder about Stone Glacier and Seek Outside packs on occasion, but am not planning to buy one anytime soon.

Last edited:
OP
Jayhawkhunter
Thanks everyone - appreciate the feedback and advice. My only concern with the Marshall is the 7.1 lbs empty weight. Not sure I can go wrong either way. I've heard Kifaru is coming out with a new frame - so I think I can get the Kifaru set up around 5lbs or so. Thanks again everyone.

boom

WKR
i cant remember what my DT2 weighs. i then just started adding this outside bag attachment, this grab-it, this hip pouch..i lost track of the weight.

i know when i grab it to move it out of the way to get to my Metcalf..i never go.."damn!! that two pounds is shocking!!" (i should put both complete packs on the scale someday)

all the packs kinda kickass now. it's a good time to shop.

I don’t know how much fun I’d have packing an elk out (or a camp in) with a guy whose worried if his pack weighs 6 pounds or 7 before we even get started. Bet I know who ends up carrying both hind quarters

If that’s not how it is I apologize for the inference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD619er

WKR
A lot of guys running kifaru are packing over 7 pound set ups. Right now I'm running a kifaru hunting frame with carbon arrow stays which ways in around 2 pounds eleven ounces plus a mountain warrior which is 2 lb 14oz then add the standard lid, one belt pouch and a nalgene holder oh and I compression kit to strap my bow and I'm somewhere around 6 lb 4 ounces I believe. But that's no organization in a lid. Even if the ultralight frame drops me another six ounces I'm still only just under 6 pounds. So your not going to save a ton of weight with a kifaru over a Marshall. Not trying to talk down kifaru like I said I run one and I just bought a spike camp. Just trying to give you some info.

Lawnboi

WKR
As mentioned it's easy to accessorize yourself well past the 7lb mark with kifaru. Good news is you can run kifaru packs with minimal accessories too, they made many light bare packs if that's your desire. Ask yourself if you really need all those belt pockets and stuff.

Iv still got a highcamp 4800, that bag is well under 2lbs lidless.

Many of the extras add some degree of function, but it cost you.

I can't help you much with other brands. I got kifaru after some miserable time with an eberlestock and haven't looked back, nor have I been trying to find better. It works for me, I'd rather spend the money hunting than playing with 4 different bags a year. More funds may change my tune but that's just how it is.

JD619er

WKR
Lawnboi if that highcamp is a foliage or wolf grey I'd be willing to take it off your hands :)

No apology needed, but that's not how it is..............thanks for the comment anyways.

Hahaha. You get what I’m saying. If 6 pounds empty vs 7lbs empty makes or breaks you,
We need to start to scale our efforts accordingly! I’ve had some good fortune to carry some heavy crappy rucks, and with all kinds of guys from all walks of life. And the uniform constant is that the guys that are worried about a pound or two now are worried about it then too. The guys always trying to cut weight- always try to cut weight. Since you are stepping into a heavy duty heavy hauler- you might start thinking in terms of what you’re overall basic load out is on a 2 night 3 day or a 5 night 6 day trip is, and then start managing weight backward from your target base weight. And probably also kind of look at where you give up weight and why. And you probably already have- I certainly mean no insult- you’re here researching you’re options after all. For what it’s worth. I’ve used a NICE frame with a few different bags all over the USA and beyond and now I’m rolling with a guidelight and a pop up28. Still have NICE and a couple old Dana’s too. Nothing wrong with kifaru but I’ve always been really happy with the function and durability Dana Gleason’s stuff.

4c51443d05c0effb852f8a7082083869.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy the one that gives you the best deal. All the hoopla you hear about "This pack didn't fit my body type" is usually due to the wearer not fitting the pack right to their body. Packs are made to ride on your lumbar. Not the top of your butt. If people would wear the pack correct, the belts wouldn't slip on any pack. You can take any pack and put 50 pounds in it and hold it up well enough if you tighten the belt tight enough. You can compensate for the shoulder harness on that pack being adjusted too long by over tightening the load lifters. However, once you get into 70 plus pounds, no pack is going to work if your torso length is adjusted to long. Get a pack and run the correct torso length. Most of the rest is just preference for brand.

With that said, I run a Kifaru because it is made in America by Americans. They are very much involved in supporting the American hunter and, define AMERICAN business. So, I supported them with my first big pack purchase and have stuck with them because the pack frame is great. I suspect the MR would be too. Without first hand knowledge, I'd say the only thing function wise the Kifaru could have on the MR is belt comfort. That Kifaru belt is what dreams are made of when comparing it to other packs in person. It is so soft and comfy you can tighten it until you can't bend over but, it doesn't hurt. I'm not sure the MR belt is that good. Nor am I sure it isn't. I'm saying it is likely the only place the Kifaru would possibly do a better job.

Pack weight on the Kifaru is going to be close to or the same. Pack weight is way over rated in my opinion. 1 or 2 pounds is not a difference if you are physically ready to under take the hunts in which these packs are needed on. I've had sheep hunters say different but, I spend a lot of time in 70% or greater slopes cruising timber. I'd say shave weight off your boots if that 1-2 pounds is a problem. That will serve you far better then a pound lighter base pack. Good luck and God Bless

Last edited:

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Buy the one that gives you the best deal. All the hoopla you hear about "This pack didn't fit my body type" is usually due to the wearer not fitting the pack right to their body. Packs are made to ride on your lumbar. Not the top of your butt. If people would wear the pack correct, the belts wouldn't slip on any pack. You can take any pack and put 50 pounds in it and hold it up well enough if you tighten the belt tight enough. You can compensate for the shoulder harness on that pack being adjusted too long by over tightening the load lifters. However, once you get into 70 plus pounds, no pack is going to work if your torso length is adjusted to long. Get a pack and run the correct torso length. Most of the rest is just preference for brand.

With that said, I run a Kifaru because it is made in America by Americans. They are very much involved in supporting the American hunter and, define AMERICAN business. So, I supported them with my first big pack purchase and have stuck with them because the pack frame is great. I suspect the MR would be too. Without first hand knowledge, I'd say the only thing function wise the Kifaru could have on the MR is belt comfort. That Kifaru belt is what dreams are made of when comparing it to other packs in person. It is so soft and comfy you can tighten it until you can't bend over but, it doesn't hurt. I'm not sure the MR belt is that good. Nor am I sure it isn't. I'm saying it is likely the only place the Kifaru would possibly do a better job.

Pack weight on the Kifaru is going to be close to or the same. Pack weight is way over rated in my opinion. 1 or 2 pounds is not a difference if you are physically ready to under take the hunts in which these packs are needed on. I've had sheep hunters say different but, I spend a lot of time in 70% or greater slopes cruising timber. I'd say shave weight off your boots if that 1-2 pounds is a problem. That will serve you far better then a pound lighter base pack. Good luck and God Bless

Excellent Post Sir!!

“Is that made in America?”, everyone types from their computers or smartphones made in Asia. That’s always the biggest knock I hear against mystery ranch. If quality doesn’t suffer I have no problems with stuff made overseas. Even Chinese factories have improved their quality of production in the last decade. No longer is made in China a guaranteed product of low quality like some made in Taiwan cheap trinket.

frankrb3

WKR
“Is that made in America?”, everyone types from their computers or smartphones made in Asia. That’s always the biggest knock I hear against mystery ranch. If quality doesn’t suffer I have no problems with stuff made overseas. Even Chinese factories have improved their quality of production in the last decade. No longer is made in China a guaranteed product of low quality like some made in Taiwan cheap trinket.

You're right, there is no way to buy only American made stuff. I know because I would if I could. Regardless, I have seen it time and time again where a company that used to make there stuff here in American goes overseas with production and the product suffers. Good for Mystery Ranch for maintaining quality products while having them made overseas but the fact is they used to make them here in American and they no longer do. For some of us it matters enough to switch to a company who understands this and chooses to employ Americans for the entire manufacturing process. I have an American made MR Nice Frame and it's bomb proof but when I was ready for a new pack I went with the Kifaru 22 Magnum for day hunts and the Stone Glacier 5900 for over night trips. Couldn't recommend them enough if they meet your hunting style criteria. If not, both companies have something that will and their gear is as solid as it gets.