New Pack Choice

It’s totally cool to buy American made, but if your only knock against something is that it is not made in America (with no proof of lesser quality) then that is not a strong enough argument for me.

JP100

WKR
My Advice is try and get you hands on one of each in the flesh and try them on.

You cannot tell shit by what some else says or what the photo looks like.

Kifaru is not light, I run an Argali and with a few odds and ends its nearly 7lbs, BUT its worth it to me. To me the Kifaru waist belt is worth the money, its not like any thing else I have tried and fits my body great. I do think some packs fit different people better, yes they are adjustable, but the way the waist belts and shoulder straps are made make the fit of every brand different.

I went and visited the Kifaru shop and tried on a pack, and im from NZ haha, Im sure you can find one to try on, same with Stone Glacier, MR etc. Try and get one, put some rocks in it and walk about.

No other way to tell what you will like the best.

Scoot

WKR
It’s totally cool to buy American made, but if your only knock against something is that it is not made in America (with no proof of lesser quality) then that is not a strong enough argument for me.

But... as we've seen in other's posts, it is for some. This has become increasingly important to me in recent years as I've gained a better understanding of the matter. When I have a choice I place importance on buying American. If that doesn't matter to you, so be it. It matters to some of us.

MR makes a good pack. I run a Kifaru and I love mine.

JD619er

WKR
You're right, there is no way to buy only American made stuff. I know because I would if I could. Regardless, I have seen it time and time again where a company that used to make there stuff here in American goes overseas with production and the product suffers. Good for Mystery Ranch for maintaining quality products while having them made overseas but the fact is they used to make them here in American and they no longer do. For some of us it matters enough to switch to a company who understands this and chooses to employ Americans for the entire manufacturing process. I have an American made MR Nice Frame and it's bomb proof but when I was ready for a new pack I went with the Kifaru 22 Magnum for day hunts and the Stone Glacier 5900 for over night trips. Couldn't recommend them enough if they meet your hunting style criteria. If not, both companies have something that will and their gear is as solid as it gets.

If you do some research on mystery ranch outsourcing you will quickly find out that the reason they made their backpacking and hunting style packs overseas is because they could not keep up with the demand. They have the largest military contract of any pack brand by far. All of their military packs are berry compliant and still made in America. According to comments from Dana himself in an interview they didn't lay anyone off when they moved the hunting line overseas. Their customer service is still in Bozeman and the quality of products and warranty remains the same. Though I doubt 99.9% percent of customers will ever need that warranty. All I'm saying is it's not like mystery ranch sold out. They are an American company building most of their product on our soil but at this point the military line their main focus. I don't think that's enough reason for me not to buy from them.

Exactly. A month or two ago they were hiring sewers in Bozeman. Might still need more I’m not looking for a job so I don’t know. I saw a tread somewhere here the other day where folks were trying to figure out what kifaru makes for the military- and no one could pin much of anything down- apparently it was all too hush hush. When I was in RSTA we had several items of equipment which were carried in custom bags on NICE frames. When I was a Ranger MR made components for the RLCS as well as again custom bags etc for specialized items of equipment. Kifaru might make RLCS as well but I can’t verify. that’s the extent of my firsthand experience. I never carried or was given to carry a kifaru bag overseas. Kifaru stuff is top notch. No doubt. Side by side with my MR or older Dana and old moutainsmith- it’s clear the ethic and approach has always been similar with both companies and there forerunner companies as well. I think kifaru does a way way way better job of marketing however- and playing with people’s imagination and emotion.

*edit all you kifaru people were starting To make it sound like maybe using a MR was unamerican- so I had to play the veteran card!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Honestly it’s hard to go wrong with most of the modern day pack builders today. I own both MR and Kifaru. I admit I am particularly fond of MR. But that is no knock on anyone else. Stone glacier, Exo, Seek outside, even kuiu which I hate all make pretty sweet functional packs. Anyone see the new Sitka? Looks pretty sweet as well......

Little story . September 1995 I played hooky from my third semester of college and drove out to Montana. I was supposed I go with a buddy but he bailed out. After stumbling around central Montana for about 4 or 5 day till I bump into what must have been the dumbest rag horn bull in the state. 2216 gamegetters, hoyt 4 bladed heads...they were 5 packs for like 12 bucks at the time, bet I had like 4 packs with me just in case ......wooden riser browning bow that was on the verge of exploding from the first shot.

Anyway I kill this bull. And then spend the better part of like a day and half packing him out, granted I bet I wasn’t two miles from truck. Took me like 10 trips, I took the chuck out bone and all... the hide too...why I have no freaking clue... my pack was like angle iron with back pack straps( ok it was aluminum but angle iron sounds better) I tied the meat with ropes and ratchet straps. Yes I was being weight conscious. Anyway I made it work. I survived not to worse for the wear. We have came a long way with pack design since then.

The Marshall and 300 extra in your pocket sounds like a pretty good deal for a guy that will be only using it a couple times of year.

“Is that made in America?”, everyone types from their computers or smartphones made in Asia. That’s always the biggest knock I hear against mystery ranch. If quality doesn’t suffer I have no problems with stuff made overseas. Even Chinese factories have improved their quality of production in the last decade. No longer is made in China a guaranteed product of low quality like some made in Taiwan cheap trinket.

Kifaru is true American not Puerto Rico/ Berry compliant, You have to give them credit, they are truly all American, and they mean it. I’m sure the local residents of Denver they employ appreciate it. It’s a big deal to some not so much to others. I appreciate their process and dedication to it, but it’s not my single deciding factor in a pack

Biggest knock on MR has been lack of modular purchase,

Last edited:

boom

WKR
buy America.

where are our beloved sleeping pads made? i've never looked.

frankrb3

WKR
If you do some research on mystery ranch outsourcing you will quickly find out that the reason they made their backpacking and hunting style packs overseas is because they could not keep up with the demand. They have the largest military contract of any pack brand by far. All of their military packs are berry compliant and still made in America. According to comments from Dana himself in an interview they didn't lay anyone off when they moved the hunting line overseas. Their customer service is still in Bozeman and the quality of products and warranty remains the same. Though I doubt 99.9% percent of customers will ever need that warranty. All I'm saying is it's not like mystery ranch sold out. They are an American company building most of their product on our soil but at this point the military line their main focus. I don't think that's enough reason for me not to buy from them.

My research consisted of walking into their bozeman retail store 2 years ago when I wanted to buy a metcalf bag to put on my NICE frame. The guidelight frame had just been released and Mystery Ranch made the decision to stop selling bags separately for the NICE frame. The lady there was very nice but everything she said had me shaking my head in my truck as I went home without a metcalf bag. She told me I could buy an entire metcalf bag with the new frame. I asked her how much it was since it was made overseas and I expected the price to be lower. It was the same price. I said no thanks and left. It's been hard for me to consider MR anymore. I also don't buy the story that they moved production overseas to keep up with demand. Why not provide growth and jobs to your community by expanding. Instead you go overseas? This was so Mystery Ranch could make more money. I know because when I asked the lady what the price on the new frame and metcalf was she told me it was the same. I then asked if it was cheaper to produce the bags overseas then why aren't the bags cheaper? She literally told me the difference in savings was profit for the company. Now I can't blame a company for being a company that wants to make money but as a consumer I don't have to spend my money there any longer which is what I have done. Also, when I asked if they offered a military discount the same lady said they don't because they already have contracts with the military for reduced pricing. Not a big deal but what a silly way to say no we don't give veterans a discount. Sorry for the rant. I'm glad the guys still buying mystery ranch are receiving quality products. I Just wish they were the same company they were when I started investing a lot of money into their products.

JD619er

WKR
Yeah that's a rough experience for sure. Makes no sense why they wouldn't offer a discount. Also I would think they could have lower prices while still increasing profit if the cost for making them overseas is that much cheaper. I was just trying to provide information in my posts and help the OP.

huntcoop

WKR
A lot of guys running kifaru are packing over 7 pound set ups. Right now I'm running a kifaru hunting frame with carbon arrow stays which ways in around 2 pounds eleven ounces plus a mountain warrior which is 2 lb 14oz then add the standard lid, one belt pouch and a nalgene holder oh and I compression kit to strap my bow and I'm somewhere around 6 lb 4 ounces I believe. But that's no organization in a lid...

That's what I was meaning, you start off with a 7 lb bag then add 4 lb's of pouches etc, that's a heavy bag, empty! Those extra 5-6 lb's will definitely be felt after a long multiday mountain hunt.

....Also, when I asked if they offered a military discount the same lady said they don't because they already have contracts with the military for reduced pricing. Not a big deal but what a silly way to say no we don't give veterans a discount. Sorry for the rant... I Just wish they were the same company they were when I started investing a lot of money into their products.

No personalized service anymore sucks. Truly. And it might be that they figure out this doesn’t work. Again. Don’t forget CBMR that was the offshore line that they had camelback produce for them. Same stuff made overseas by a reputable firm at 2/3 the price or so of the USA stuff. Don’t know what they abandoned that endeavor but maybe they bail on his in a couple years too. They didn’t build there own plants in Vietnam and the Philippines. There overseas infrastructure is minimal enough. If no one buys there stuff anymore they will either sell it cheap at dicks or move it back to bozo. Maybe.

Trial153

WKR
I am qualified for discounts from several companies and organizations. I don’t expect everyplace to do that. Nor do I think its even needed. If I didn’t see it listed I surely wouldn’t ask for a discount. However I am very great full that some offer it.
The fact that you wouldn’t patronize a business because of they didn’t offer it ....well quite frankly that makes you sound like an entitled ass

Trial153

WKR
also if your so pissed off that they are made over seas and that the price is still the same why bother asking for a discount?

makes me wonder if the lack of the discount wasnt the main cause of your ire.

frankrb3

WKR
I am qualified for discounts from several companies and organizations. I don’t expect everyplace to do that. Nor do I think its even needed. If I didn’t see it listed I surely wouldn’t ask for a discount. However I am very great full that some offer it.
The fact that you wouldn’t patronize a business because of they didn’t offer it ....well quite frankly that makes you sound like an entitled ass

Wow, did you just call me an entitled ass in front of our community because of my experience? That's a first for me on rokslide. Go back a read my comment about what I said about the military discount. I could care less that they don't give a discount to veterans, but don't tell me the reason why you don't is because you're already giving the federal government a deal when selling them thousands of packs and therefore I am already receiving a deal. Just tell me no. As for calling me an entitled ass. I really don't appreciate it. I'm on here sharing my experiences with guys who also share their experiences to help each other out. I have spent a lot of money with Mystery Ranch and they burned me. I know that I am the minority in this case but to call me an entitled ass for sharing my experience says more about you than me. I apologize to the OP and the others trying to help with his question for turning this thread into an argument. To answer the OPs original question, I would go with Kifaru over MR, even if it is more expensive. Good Luck.

duckdog28

FNG
Are you backpack hunting, bivy hunting, or day hunting? The type of hunt you're doing makes all the difference. I've tried a bunch of packs and love the sitka flash 20 for day hunts and the bivy 45 for bivy trips up to 5 days. I pack meat on a frame pack. I can buy all three for the price of one of the high dollar packs.
By the time you add the waistbelt pockets you need to the MR, Kifaru, or Kuiu packs, they all weigh about the same. Save yourself a bunch of money and buy the Sitka. Just my 2 cents

frankrb3

WKR
also if your so pissed off that they are made over seas and that the price is still the same why bother asking for a discount?

makes me wonder if the lack of the discount wasnt the main cause of your ire.

If you got something else to say, PM me. I'm not going to continue to interrupt this thread with our conversation.

I just got my pintler bag that I purchased for what can only be described as a raging awesome deal off of Optics planet. Now I have a marshal, a metcalf and the pintler. The mule is on the way. Love these packs, love that they are interchangeable, love that it is an American comapany and that I can afford all the options they present. Cannot see myself ever owning anything else. If it ever happened that money was not a factor I would love to own the American made Kifaru products but money is a big factor for me so in my mind I got the next best thing. And it is not far behind.

OP
Jayhawkhunter
Are you backpack hunting, bivy hunting, or day hunting? The type of hunt you're doing makes all the difference. I've tried a bunch of packs and love the sitka flash 20 for day hunts and the bivy 45 for bivy trips up to 5 days. I pack meat on a frame pack. I can buy all three for the price of one of the high dollar packs.
By the time you add the waistbelt pockets you need to the MR, Kifaru, or Kuiu packs, they all weigh about the same. Save yourself a bunch of money and buy the Sitka. Just my 2 cents

5-7 day backpack hunt - mainly Colorado, going to Idaho this September