Backpack as a stuff sack?

amp713

WKR
So I've heard arguments for both sides but curious to see how split it really is...

Who here just stuffs everything in the backpack sans stuff sack or compression sacks or pull outs? Especialy like sleeping bags and shelters?

Or are most guys using actual sacks to separate and organize?

I heard one guy make a comment that stuffing it all in loose is like filling a bag with tennis balls vs bowling balls. Everything moves and situates better around each other where as using stuff sacks and compression bags is just big lumps you stack on top of each other in a hope they stay.

I've always been of the bowling ball style packing and it's worked but debating just loose stuffing all my bulk gear IE sleeping bag, pad, shelter, clothes, etc. I'll still use my small pull outs for my small kits and probably my food/stove as id hate to stick a stove through my pad .

Just one of those thiings I've been thinking about in the off season and figured I'd bounce it off some of the people here.

I really enjoy stuff sacks and pull out bags. The organization IMO is awesome. I know where everything goes and if I have to take my pack off I know exactly where things are. After starting to use bags like the Kifaru super light pull and roll top dry bags outs I don't ever see myself go back.

mt100gr.

WKR
Anything I need to keep dry goes in a lightweight sack of some kind. Other things in small stuff sacks and pull outs. Some of them get slightly compressed but most are in a loose fitting sack so it's kind of both....organized but loose stuffed. A lot of larger items that don't have cords, etc just go in. As long as it won't get tangled I just stuff it.

twall13

WKR
I typically use a trash bag as a liner and put things like my top quilt, jackets, spare clothing, etc. in the trash bag loose and use the pack to compress them. I do feel like everything rides better in the bag when the large, soft items like the quilt can fill in all the voids left by stuff sacks, etc. That said, I do like some organization for some of the smaller items, first aid, kill kit, etc. The last few years I've been putting all of the food for each day in it's own gallon ziplock so I know how many calories I'm eating per day. It also makes it simple to grab just the food for the day and leave the rest in camp.

Rokwiia

WKR
I am one who does not organize and utilizes the tennis-ball approach. My packing preference is to compress the sleeping bag as little as possible. I put it in a garbage bag and let it "fill in the contours" of the backpack.

For years I did just the opposite. I went with exceedingly light, smaller packs to shave weight. Gram weenie. No more.

I'd rather have more volume at the cost of a few ounces so the items in my pack do not have to be stuffed in some bag and compressed like crazy. As far as the organization of items is concerned, I do have a few small sacks for electronics, flashlights, or hardware items that would be difficult to find. All clothing is just put into the backpack and fills in the space.

Pretty much stuff it all in in the reverse order that you anticipate using it. Last thing out=1st thing in type mentality. Only items that I have in sacks or isolated otherwise is food, first aid, and meat bags/tarp/gloves. Knife compass protractor map bullets GPS toothbrush are all in the top of the pack or also get a stuff sack at the top of the pack. I like brushing my teeth while I’m sitting around glassing. Keeps moral up. So does gold bond powder. That’s usually in the top of the pack too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texag10

WKR
I only use stuff sacks for very small items that I need to keep together like first aid. Otherwise it goes in my pack in a way that makes sense for frequency of use and weight distribution.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Sounds like it's a fairly even split with some variations... I plan to use my small pull outs for the small gear and then loose pack the rest this year and see how it all settles!