Any feedback on the MR Selway

bozeman

WKR
A few in the classifieds for a decent price.....been looking at it seems to fit a nice niche....any feedback on these?

thanks!

I have become an mr fanboy and have pop up 28, a pintler -40l, overload - 50l and Metcalf -70l. That Trizip design has been to hell and back on their .mil designs.

Haven’t seen the selway but it looks like a super size version of the pintler. Not a bad concept but doesn’t really fit me. A bit too big for even my biggest day needs and not really enough to handle a long trip. Kinda right in the middle but maybe I am too much of a pack nerd.

I find 40 l just a shade too big for a day Pack, except when really cold and just a shade too small for overnights. At 70 liters the Metcalf can be strapped down as a Day Pack or can handle 3-5 day trips.

- If I had one pack it would be the Metcalf. Big hauler when needed. Strapped small when not.
- My meat hauler day Pack is going to be the pop up.
- The overload 50l on a guidelight frame is going to be my in the middle late season day pack for when I haul lots of clothes and ground blind materials. It could also do an overnight, if needed.

I could see the selway playing that large daypack, small overnight or long weekend role in the same way.

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
With a guide lid and a grab-it, was thinking more like 5200ci bag..........decent price in the classifieds right now.

bozeman, did you pick up a Selway?

I'm curious if they have the same internal sleeves/pockets as the Pintler.

I really wish the Selway had stretch sleeve pockets like the water bottle pockets on the Terraframe 3-zip 50, but a few inches longer, to just below the upper horizontal compression strap. ( Terraframe 3-Zip 50 | MYSTERY RANCH BACKPACKS )

The little zippered side pockets on the Selway don't look very useful to me.

Posting this for the benefit of future searchers... I sent my question to MR, asking if the Selway has the internal pockets like the Pintler. Got an email response:
"The Selway does not have any internal organization at all. The only pocket on the inside is for the hydration bladder (could be used for something else if you want)."

I think MR missed the mark on this one. I like the size, zipper/strap configuration, but the two tiny zippered non-stretch side pockets and lack of any other pockets or sleeves (other than the bladder sleeve and lid pocket) really limit the usefulness of this pack. If it had the internals of the Pintler and the stretch side sleeves of the Terraframe 3-zip 50, I think it would have a lot more potential.

JD619er

WKR
Anyone have an update on the selway? I just ordered one because because I had a killer deal. I think I can get a week out of it if I run my food between the frame and bag. Just interested to see how it carries compared to my kifaru. My hunting frame carries great but I've been through 3 kifaru bags and can't find one I love. The muskeg is he closest but I can't justify spending that much money on a bag alone. The selway has everything I want from the looks of it. All my small stuff in the lid pockets and small side pockets was something I've been wanting for a while. At the price I just had to try it

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
Sry didn’t bookmark it. I hit up Pods8 and got a custom setup coming.