Best Kifaru Pack for white tails

BKhunter

WKR
Any eastern guys here that can recommend a kifaru pack for white tail hunting? Was looking for something that I could carry in a hang on along with any other gear and could also be used for a 2-3 day trip in the Adirondacks. Was looking at the woodsman, but was curious if anyone had any other recommendations.

BK

ncstewart

WKR
I have a woodsman and it's a little big for me personally. For 2-3 days I think it would be perfect tho.
I use the mountain rambler as my everyday bag and really like it. I have two medium pockets on the front and it fits my needs really well. You will have to buy it used tho but they on the classifieds a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I listened to a GB podcast on my way to a hunt last fall and swore I remember the kifaru guys talking about building a whitetail specific pack since they did a WT hunt somewhere down south.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Wonder if we can get Aron to chime in here.

Aron if your out there help a brother out!!!

oldgoat

WKR
They all will work, just have to figure out a way to attach the stands and sticks etc. There was a post on the Kifaru Insiders Facebook, the guy used a carabinier to attach the stand to the top of the pack and a compression strap and possibly a Grab-It. I tried carrying my climber stand in between the wings on my Nomad and that worked but was a PIA to do, i think the Grab-It and compression straps is a better more convenient option.

wesfromky

WKR
I used a woodsman on a 24" frame last season and it worked really well, esp later in the season when I was packing a FL Sanctuary. I just got a 22mag on a 22" frame last month, and think that is going to work even better, though I am not sure it could do 2-3 day trips as well as the woodsman. For day hunts and scouting, pretty sure the 22mag is going to work out really well. There are a couple videos up on it, a series by Jordan and this one as well: Full Frame Kifaru Pack For Midwestern Whitetail? YES! - YouTube

KY Ryan

FNG
I've been debating between the Woodsman and the 22 Mag as well. I like the two external side pockets on the 22 Mag. Seems like a great place to put a ground chair and a bipod. The multiple zippers on the front of the 22 Mag seem like it would make it easier to access any part of the pack with unzipping the whole thing. However, my opinion is based solely on watching reviews. I haven't seen either in person. Anyone use them to carry a stand?

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've never seen a Kifaru or any other framed pack for that matter that I would ever want to take up a tree with me.

R Davis

FNG
I 2nd the cargo panel with pouches. Been using this for 2-3 seasons now and its great. Cinches down small or can fit blinds, bulky clothes, hangons, seatpads after season, etc. I find that i like it even better if i remove the waist belt and run it with only the lumbar pad and shoulder straps. Light and fast for sneaking around in the dark. This is for your typical Indiana farm country hunting.

R Davis

FNG
Forgot to add that with this same setup (with the waist belt) i added a 55 liter drybag and canoed the boundary waters for a week. Ill be headed to CO for elk this fall as well with the same setup. Ill get home after CO, rearrange some pockets, pull off the waist belt and be back to daypack whitetail mode. Its my one and done pack. I might add a lid at some point though.

wesfromky

WKR
I've been debating between the Woodsman and the 22 Mag as well. I like the two external side pockets on the 22 Mag. Seems like a great place to put a ground chair and a bipod. The multiple zippers on the front of the 22 Mag seem like it would make it easier to access any part of the pack with unzipping the whole thing. However, my opinion is based solely on watching reviews. I haven't seen either in person. Anyone use them to carry a stand?

Either will work just fine, but from my limited experience, the 22mag will work better if you are not worried about overnights. It has some pretty nice internal organization vs the woodsman as well. I run belt pouches on the packs for easy access, and have a blaze orange grab-it on order as well.

Where are you in KY? I can maybe meet up and let you check out the 22mag if you want.

I'm thinking about making a bag just for this purpose. One that will haul my summit climber, has a small bag (for snacks, jacket, water bottle, etc) and has straps that will allow it to be removed from the frame and then go around the tree. Maybe even something to hold my quiver.

I'm currently using a guide lid and a couple straps to hold the climber to the frame.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Deepshax

WKR
The 14r. Fits my winter clothes, hauls my climbers and hang on. I've done a few 5 day thru-style hikes out of it.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't used the woodsman but have considered getting it specifically for whitetail as it has about all the features I want for a whitetail. The load shelf works well for carrying a treestand without pushing it too far out from your back and the bag is large enough to stuff cold weather gear.

What I do use that works the best is a cargo panel with a back pouch and various other pockets depending on need. This system just flat out works and doesn't leave me wanting for much because it changes to fit my needs easily.

I also use a fulcrum with an add on load shelf and it works pretty good and can certainly haul everything and then some.

I'll try to get some videos up on rs YouTube in a week or so when I get back to town on my setups.

Live2hunt custom shelters

frankrb3

WKR
I don't know if it's the "best" for white tails but the 22 mag would work really well for what you're describing. There is also a really good review on you tube from a gentleman who uses his for white tail hunting. Here's the link.

Full Frame Kifaru Pack For Midwestern Whitetail? YES! - YouTube

Jordan Budd also has a series of videos on you tube covering this pack and she even describes how she would utilize it for white tail hunting. Here's that link.

Kifaru 22 Mag Part 3 - Treestand mode - YouTube

Brendan

WKR
I've used the 22 Mag, EMR2, and Fulcrum for whitetail hunting, and have brought them all up the tree with me - no problem. The EMR2 and Fulcrum got the nod when I wanted to carry in heavy, bulky outer layers (Bibs, insulated jacket, etc) that I didn't want to wear. 22 Mag gets the nod most of the time. I didn't use my "Whitetail Pack" at all this past year.

I like those bags because of the horizontal compression straps which make it easy to attach my stand and sticks.

I like the 22 Mag the best (if you can fit everything) because you can attach pouches to the outside on the PALS webbing for storing small things like calls to keep them accessible when up a tree.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Forgot to add that with this same setup (with the waist belt) i added a 55 liter drybag and canoed the boundary waters for a week. Ill be headed to CO for elk this fall as well with the same setup. Ill get home after CO, rearrange some pockets, pull off the waist belt and be back to daypack whitetail mode. Its my one and done pack. I might add a lid at some point though.

DO you have any pics of this setup?