Best Kifaru Pack for white tails

I picked up a 22 mag and It would work pretty well with a couple pockets. The bag will become my favored ground day hunting pack for out west where a two-three day September spike camp is possible. However, I also have a custom pack being made by pods8 that will be even better for ground and whitetail stand hunting here.

KY Ryan

FNG
Either will work just fine, but from my limited experience, the 22mag will work better if you are not worried about overnights. It has some pretty nice internal organization vs the woodsman as well. I run belt pouches on the packs for easy access, and have a blaze orange grab-it on order as well.

Where are you in KY? I can maybe meet up and let you check out the 22mag if you want.

Thanks man. I'm in Murray but I have family in Louisville so I'm up there a lot too. One of the ways I'm justifying such an expensive pack is I plan to start hunting the Taylorsville WMA with my brother in law that lives over there. I'll use it to pack out the deer out if necessary. I also have unreclaimed coal mine land that is too rough for a 4 wheeler. I've always avoided a few areas because I didn't know how to get the deer out. I go elk hunting out west every 3-4 years so I'll get a bigger bag before I go again but I'd like something now for whitetail and predator hunting. Where are you?

NorthT

FNG
Agreed cargo panel is good especially for late season. Have packed ladders, hang on, climbers summit and lone wolf. Have also used a spike camp and late season with grab it for stands as well

wesfromky

WKR
Coolness. I am in Lexington, but get over to the Louisville area every once in a while.

That is why I got a Kifaru as well - hunting on public land and want to be able to quarter a deer and pack it vs dragging it.

Thanks man. I'm in Murray but I have family in Louisville so I'm up there a lot too. One of the ways I'm justifying such an expensive pack is I plan to start hunting the Taylorsville WMA with my brother in law that lives over there. I'll use it to pack out the deer out if necessary. I also have unreclaimed coal mine land that is too rough for a 4 wheeler. I've always avoided a few areas because I didn't know how to get the deer out. I go elk hunting out west every 3-4 years so I'll get a bigger bag before I go again but I'd like something now for whitetail and predator hunting. Where are you?

tommy8553

FNG
The urban ruck looks good. Might get one myself. I'm tired of seams and zippers failing with other brands I've used.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
in my opinion the best pack for whitetail is probably the Woodman, but if it were me I would still go with the Reckoning because it's easier to pack meat + cold weather gear + a stand. I use the fulcrum a lot and it works very well but it's not ideal without a meat Shelf however I do have one on mine.

I do have to say that the absolute best Whitetail setup is a cargo panel tailored to whatever particular season and how your hunting with pockets. It's not a pack but it will do everything you need and more.

Live2hunt custom shelters

wesfromky

WKR
Aron teased the new "treestand" pack on IG this week - there is a thread on the Kifaru Insiders FB page for those that are interested.

worx53

WKR
spike camp with unpadded belt- will haul a bunch of stuff but no external frame- been using one for awhile white tailing

mcseal2

WKR
I'm not a treestand hunter but I whitetail hunt a lot from the ground. I love my Exo 3500 for deer. I really like the roll top design so that I don't have any zipper noise on stand. I hunt really mixed terrain and usually get into a stand early. It can be really cold when I hunt so I like having quite a few layers in the main pocket of the pack to put on. I like to hike in pretty lightly dressed, stop over the ridge from my hunting location long enough to cool off, put the layers on and slip into the final position. The simple bag layout just seems about perfect to me. I like the optics pockets on the outside for western hunts and for whitetail. I usually pack my tripod with an Outdoorsmans head and shooting rest in one side and my Kowa 55mm spotter in the other. Even whitetail hunting in my area I like having the glass to really evaluate a buck at distance. I mostly end up using my 10x Leicas off the tripod to get the best possible image of a last light buck though, try to identify him from my scouting and know what deer I'm looking at. I probably look for things in a pack that are not important in the eastern timber where shots are closer.

I have quite a few Kifaru products and love their stuff. I recently got a Kifaru frame and Nomad II for a moose hunt where I might pack really awkward loads like an inflatable boat, motor, or moose quarters. If I was looking for a bag for whitetail I'd look at what I could get into and get what I need really quietly and pick the lay-out off that.

FWIW I think Exo and Kifaru both make excellent packs. The Exo is easier for me to move quietly with because it flexes so much laterally as I slip through timber. It handles loads up to 85lbs (about the max I've had in it) well and lets me forget it's a frame pack when using it as a daypack.

The Kifaru I have with the Tactical frame you won't forget is a frame pack. It is very comfortable, just a stiffer pack laterally. I have not had it long enough to have packed really heavy loads. I'm ramping up my training weight now but have only had 40lbs in it. I think the Nomad II and Grab It will do a good job of what I'm asking of the pack. I can pack a dry bag with my puffy and rain gear between the wings most of the time but expand the pack for bulkier loads when necessary. The only negative I have found on the pack is that the load lifters are out far enough on my shoulders that they want to push my rifle sling off my shoulders when tight. When the load isn't heavy I just put some slack in the right load lifter and it seems fine. I may not have something adjusted right yet, I'm still dialing it in.

bat-cave

WKR
Clearly Kifaru makes awesome packs, but I don't have first hjand experience for Whitetail with them. I do have a Sitka Tool Bucket just for WT season and have been very happy. If I had to carry more than a hangon stand, sticks and day gear ... I mihgt question the comfort, but for the relatively easy approaches I have done for WT season, this was a non issue and I love the organization and accessibility to your gear while in the stand.

mfolch

WKR
spike camp with unpadded belt- will haul a bunch of stuff but no external frame- been using one for awhile white tailing

x2. Used a g1 express (1000d version of spike camp) for years and recently upgraded to a xing for this very reason. The xing has better access to the main bag and more shoulder lift, but I’ve now tried more than a dozen hunting frames and packs, and nothing fits as close to the body as my old express.

30855708_1863254177052274_3010042591480643584_n.jpg

Luked

WKR
I bought a woodsman and tactical frame.
I haven't used mine to hunt yet but have packed some stands out getting them moved.
what I did was used the meatshelf to put the stand close to my back and then put sticks on the outside of the pack.
the way mine is set up now is belt pouches up each of the sides for small stuff and larger stuff like clothes will go inside.
also want to get the OGL guide lid sometime but can wait on that for a bit. so far for what I have used it for the Woodsman is great

I'm seriously considering the Door Gunner pack for whitetails. Looks like I could remove the shoulder straps and use the top and bottom attachment points to sandwich my climbing stand to my tactical duplex frame. Then use the side buckles to go around the tree once in the stand.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Squirrels

WKR

It’s already wrong if that’s really it. Lid on a tree stand bag needs to hinge at the front of the bag. Like a couple of the Badlands stealth series bags do. That’s what I like anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk