Eberlestock J34 Pack

tduex

FNG
Hey guys,

First off, I’m pretty new to backpacks that are used for western hunting. I’m starting to acquire gear for a 2019 elk hunt, and I came across the j34 that seems like a good pack (I’m from Wisconsin so I might use it for western hunting once, maybe twice per year). It’s appealing to me that it can be used as a day pack as well as a multi day pack.

Just want to see if anyone has any insight on the pack. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zbot

WKR
For that price, you can get into a used MR/Exo or new Horn Hunter Full Curl and be set for life. It'll carry better and save your back/hunts.

I tried the Just One with 60 pounds and it carried horribly. The load lifters don't function well and it sags due to its design. JMHO

KurtR

WKR
I ran the j34 my first year going to Idaho. Sold it as fast as I could. Lots better options. I got a Kifaru and it night and day difference. Eberlestock has a nice layout and built good just don't carry weight very good

FLAK

WKR
Love my J107. It's been to ID., AK., NM, TX, and all over the Appalachians.
No signs of giving up yet.

EastMT

WKR
I personally like my eberlestock, but they are not comfy in heavy loads.

Good- bullet proof, won't need customer service as they dont break. You can find used ones cheap, there's a just one for $125 on here now. Rifle carrier is my favorite option, and the reason I carry it for bear hunting and day trips.

Bad-rough on shoulders, I carried half a bone in caribou, ribs included last year, well over 100 pounds and it hurt the entire way, my Barneys would have been a better option, but again, I like the rifle sleeve.

Stone Glacier, kifaru, MR, any of the high end packs are much better for heavy loads, if you can handle the pain in your shoulders better than the pain in your wallet it's doable.

"If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would pay a extra off the bat and get one of the “big 4”. Which I consider a Kifaru, exo, MR or stone glacier. I started with that J34 and it just wrecks your shoulders and back compared to systems that have real load lifters.

I’d just look around here on the classifieds and get into a good system to start with. I wish I would have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outlaw99

WKR
I have a brand new J34 that has seen nothing but time on my back on the treadmill. Like others have said, nice enough well laid out pack, but horrible with heavy loads. I’ve got 35lbs in it right now, and the load lifters don’t do much at all in the way of function. I’ve got an Exo that should be here any day now, and I’m lookin forward to strapping it on. Best of luck

LaHunter

WKR
I used an Eberlestock J34 my first year out west. Anything over 45 lbs and it feels like someone is trying to pull your shoulders back. The quality of the pack is good, just a poor design for carrying any wt. The rifle holder seems pretty cool at first, but in reality it was a pain in the ass to use for me with my rifle. I pretty much had to take the pack off to put my rifle into the scabbard or remove it. I sold my J34 and moved on to a Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 which has been 10X better than the J34 over the past few years. I just recently bought a MR Metcalf that I will be using this year. Lots of options to choose from that are better than the J34, and you don't have to spend $700 on a new pack to get set up. I recently paid $420 for my Metcalf.

letmwork

FNG
I know this may not be received well,however, I have a J34 and have packed elk quarters or boned out deer plus camp and the shoulder straps don't bother me a bit. I am 6'2" 220 and have not experienced any of the issues that are stated on this forum. My guess is they have updated the pack to address this since the one I bought stated it was the most recent version of the pack (2017). Any insight on this.

FURMAN

WKR
As others have stated. Trust us and keep looking. They have NO functional load lift. I tried one my first trip into the backcountry. I could not get rid of it quick enough afterwards. To those who say they are comfortable you are just a stud. I would add Seek Outside to Jordan's list.

LaHunter

WKR
I know this may not be received well,however, I have a J34 and have packed elk quarters or boned out deer plus camp and the shoulder straps don't bother me a bit. I am 6'2" 220 and have not experienced any of the issues that are stated on this forum. My guess is they have updated the pack to address this since the one I bought stated it was the most recent version of the pack (2017). Any insight on this.

What other packs have you used? Most any other pack with functional load lifters will perform better than the J34. I didn't realize how bad my J34 was until I switched packs.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
The problem everyone is mentioning stems from the fact that the stays in an Eberlestock are very short. If the frame on a pack doesn't even reach the height of the shoulders, it is never going to have functional load lift. Period. I can't believe some pack makers haven't figured this out. The "load lifters" on a pack can only take the stress off of your traps if they are being supported from a point ABOVE the traps. So a pack with 20 inch stays, though they may be reasonably stiff, is never going to be comfortable under heavy loads for 95% of people. Geometry and physics.

Every pack "settles" a bit with heavy weights and some walking. I'm only 5'7", but I run 26" stays in my Kifaru to insure that I always have good lift and comfy shoulders. Eberlestock should just add 3-4 more inches to their stays. A few more ounces wouldn't matter much on a pack that's already super heavy compared to competitors.

EastMT

WKR
I like to train all summer in my eberlestock with 50lb sandbag, then put my Barneys on for hunting, talk about heaven, makes hunting seem like a run to the grocery store. I'm going to order a SG x curve this year to take dad in for a goat, it has the exact shape of my back. Still going to train in the eberlestock so ought to really feel like heaven when I strap it on.

"If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

rbljack

WKR
yeah...I have to agree. I love the layout of the pack and hate it when the weights get over 40. I have a blue widow and a dragonfly. I didn't spring for a high end pack at the beginning because I had to buy two at once (one for my and one for my son). I play to upgrade when I can. Still eyeing up a kifaru reckoning...or maybe a fulcrum. So far the reckoning is still at the top of my list