Stone Glacier Hydro Lid

3forks

WKR
Has anyone seen one of these yet?

Hydro Lid [NEW]

– Stone Glacier

[video=youtube_share;BohQXVj5Z5A]https://youtu.be/BohQXVj5Z5A[/video]

I like the concept, but wonder about carrying the weight of the bladder on top of the bag vs lower/more centered.

I like the lid because of the two pockets and might get one with no intention of putting my bladder up there.

I've packed my bladder on top kind of like it was in the lid while packing animals out before and while it worked I found it sloshed some and it was tough to keep centered which wasn't a big deal with a heavy pack but with a lighter pack it could throw you off a little when you are trying to sneak through thick lodgepole with downfall.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
I love my SG, but for the life of me cant figure out why they can't have a normal bladder hanger. For Pete's sake...its just a little velcro loop sewn to the inside of the bag...the hydro port is there already...it would add 0 cost...I just don't get it.

Instead, the two options are to buy their bladder hanger (expensive and unnecessary), or carry the water up by your head (which as others have mentioned may be a noise/hearing issue.

I would love to try this out, but I really only use the lid when hiking in or out of base camp. When spiking out I go in bivy mode which forces me to use the bladder hanger thingy. Simple is better, and both of these things are over-complicating something that shouldn't be this damn difficult. Sew a freaking velcro loop in there! Rant over.

Nothing pisses me off more than having to take my pack off, unload my pack, grab the bladder, refill the bladder, put the bladder back in my bag, re pack my bag and then put the pack back on... I'd bet Kurt doesn't like doing that either :)

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Just filter your water through the drink tube. Try a simple slip-on style silicone bite valve. Pull it off, plug the tube directly on to your filter, and fill 'er up. Never touch your hydration bladder again, never unpack and re-pack again. This has been simplifying my life and maximizing my hunting time for years. Worth a try.

The idea of putting a bladder in the lid sounds like a win all the way around to me. 1. For the reason Nick describes. 2. Because it seems like a very appropriate place to have a heavier piece of gear (up around the head/neck area), where you would want the heavier stuff anyway. And 3. it seems like whenever I'm pulling water out of my bladder, a vacuum is created and the bladder just continues to collapse on itself so there's no air left in it allowing water to slosh around. Anyway, just my thoughts.

amp713

WKR
I like the idea of it for a few reasons, other than using it for water, but debating trying it as a bladder as well.... kinda wish it was a little larger.....

sr80

WKR
I love my SG, but for the life of me cant figure out why they can't have a normal bladder hanger. For Pete's sake...its just a little velcro loop sewn to the inside of the bag...the hydro port is there already...it would add 0 cost...I just don't get it.

Instead, the two options are to buy their bladder hanger (expensive and unnecessary), or carry the water up by your head (which as others have mentioned may be a noise/hearing issue.

I would love to try this out, but I really only use the lid when hiking in or out of base camp. When spiking out I go in bivy mode which forces me to use the bladder hanger thingy. Simple is better, and both of these things are over-complicating something that shouldn't be this damn difficult. Sew a freaking velcro loop in there! Rant over.

I think they leave it an option as some guys don't use a blatter, and prefer water bottles. Then they'd have this blatter sleeve that doesn't get used in a bag. They leave it up to the customer to order the bag how they want it. The hanging blatter bag they have works great, for me at least.

rm06

WKR
I am excited to try out the Hydro lid. I have been running it in between the frame and the pack for the last few years and it's a clunky solution at best. I do have the drinking hose adapted to filter directly into the bladder but it doesn't get completely full due to the compression.

As long as you squeeze as much air out of the bladder and aren't blowing air back up it to keep the tube from freezing, it shouldn't slosh around much. We shall see.

TXCO

WKR
Another option Ive done from time to time is put the bladder between the bag and frame (in the meat hauler basically). Easier than having to unpack your whole bag and keeps it warmer in real cold temps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put and hang my water bladder in the load shelf. When hauling meat out I put it in top of bag. Pretty easy fellas

amp713

WKR
I hooked my bladder to the little loops for the swing out bags. Just used carabiner through the dromedary hole.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing pisses me off more than having to take my pack off, unload my pack, grab the bladder, refill the bladder, put the bladder back in my bag, re pack my bag and then put the pack back on... I'd bet Kurt doesn't like doing that either :)

Quick disconnect a couple inches above the bite valve eliminates this.

deadwolf

WKR

I use the sawyer quick disconnect on the hose, near the mouthpiece, and the bladder never comes out of my pack. Have a 1L bladder I carry empty with the filter and short 2” hose that clicks into the quick connect. Just squeeze the water into the bladder in your pack. Works like a champ.
S and S archery has a demo on their YouTube channel I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sr80

WKR
For guys that use the hydro lid, will that port in the lid for the hose allow small items to fall out if it doens't have a bladder hose running through it?

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
I would think it would be hard for small items to fall out as there is some fabric overlay but with any opening anything's possible. I've used it for 30 plus days out in the field and love the new lid, I drink way more water now. So easy to pull out and fill up, hated digging in my pack to get bladder before. I use a 3l hydrapak and can fit it in the lid with about 2.5 litres in the bladder. Only carry headlamp, spare bullets, coffee/emergency C's, and rain cover in the other part of the lid. Works perfect for me.