Mystery Ranch Terraplane

I am trying to gear up for my first elk hunt and came across this pack. It's a NOS for 50% off in my XL size. Does anyone have experience using this pack?

From my research it's larger than the Metcalf which seems to be the most popular of the hunting packs but not as large as the Marshall. It is significantly less expensive under full retail vs. a comparably sized Kifaru and after listening to many of the Gritty Bowmen podcasts I have heard Aron Snyder speak highly of Mystery Ranch. About the only thing I don't care for it is it doesn't have a compression strap across the back to strap my bow to it.

Any idea what it's carrying weight is? The pro's and cons of this for hunting? Not sure i could find even a used Kifaru for a little over $200 let alone new.

Thanks in advance!

I had one for years. It is MRs flagship backpacking rig. Similar to the marshal but you give up the meatshelf and the detachable frame. They may be missing one or two other features that are hunting specific.

I haven’t seen the latest iterations but I suspect they are still a very tough Pack. I have personally put over 80 lbs in mine without a problem.

OP
F
I had one for years. It is MRs flagship backpacking rig. Similar to the marshal but you give up the meatshelf and the detachable frame. They may be missing one or two other features that are hunting specific.

I haven’t seen the latest iterations but I suspect they are still a very tough Pack. I have personally put over 80 lbs in mine without a problem.

Thanks for the info! I am not worried about the two hunting features that you mentioned especially since starting to research the equipment needs I learned that most kifaru packs don't offer a shelf and seeing what Aron Snyder has said about them and carrying the meat inside the pack makes sense to me. Then for the removable frame is not a factor for me because this would be my only backpacking pack and I have a good day pack for my whitetail treestand hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
Here is the answer i got from Mystery Ranch for anyone that is interested.

"Which model pack?"

Hello,
Thanks for reaching out to Mystery Ranch! I do think all of the packs you listed would work well with your needs. Here is some info.:
Terraplane and Glacier have a weight capacity of 90 lbs.
Metcalf has a 150 lb. weight capacity.
I think you should check out the TerraFRAME 80. It is a great new pack of ours and I think it would work well for you. It has the same weight capacity as the Metcalf AND has the same shelf system available if you need it. The TerraFRAME 80 is also lighter than all of those packs at 6.1 lbs. Hope this information helps and let me know if you have any other questions.
Cheers,
Joe

If the only thing you're worried about is it not having additional compression straps, I would buy the pack and then get a compression strap kit from kifaru and be done with it!

ortho004

FNG
Here is the answer i got from Mystery Ranch for anyone that is interested.

"Which model pack?"

Hello,
Thanks for reaching out to Mystery Ranch! I do think all of the packs you listed would work well with your needs. Here is some info.:
Terraplane and Glacier have a weight capacity of 90 lbs.
Metcalf has a 150 lb. weight capacity.
I think you should check out the TerraFRAME 80. It is a great new pack of ours and I think it would work well for you. It has the same weight capacity as the Metcalf AND has the same shelf system available if you need it. The TerraFRAME 80 is also lighter than all of those packs at 6.1 lbs. Hope this information helps and let me know if you have any other questions.
Cheers,
Joe

Did you end up going with the pack? The Terraframe is on Backcountry/REI/Moosejaw where there are currently 20% off sales.

OP
F
Did you end up going with the pack? The Terraframe is on Backcountry/REI/Moosejaw where there are currently 20% off sales.

I haven't bought it yet. I aggravated my herniated discs in my back and think I may not physically be up to a backpacking trip like I planned.

OP
F

After a few days of rest and some yoga my back was better. I ended up buying the Glacier and got it Friday. I also bought the Mountain Smith shelter LT and a Big Agnes Encampment 15* sleeping bag. I got 30% in rewards and made a second order that I was able to get an insulated Nemo inflatable sleeping pad and a water filter. And still have 17 bucks left over towards my next purchase which will likely be the same bag and pad for my son but wanted to make sure it would fit him since he's 6'5. Also have to get a backpack for him and a stove.