Made in VIETNAM

I have enjoyed my Mystery Ranch (MR) packs and as has been discussed here the company is now having most packs made overseas at a little savings to the consumer. I am not saying they dont make good products BUT seeing the word VIETNAM on it ( others have posted that its not Vietnam but they list VIETNAM on the website and on the inner pack label) bothers me.I was aware of the outsourcing and still made the purchase but when I read the label it really hit me. I am a vet ,was raised bye a Marine who served multiple tours in Nam and I lost 2 uncles in that dump. A quick wiki search will confirm Vietnam is still run bye commies . I understand why some companies outsource and I dont intend to bash MR but am VERY disappointed that they chose to not only outsource but to also choose this nation out of all nations to outsource to. BAD move and I am done buying MR products.IMG_1224.JPG

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
A multitude of packs are made in Vietnam. Lots of products made in Japan and Korea as well.
Get over it or boycott their products, it's your decision to make.

Gr8bawana

WKR
Even the super expensive overpriced KUIU camo that all the "cool kids" wear is made in china. Good luck finding stuff that isn't made in japan or china or vietnam.

jmez

WKR
The entire point of outsourcing is cost savings. This was likely the cheapest option with good quality.

Trial153

WKR
The war ended in 73 didn’t it ?...... might be time to let bygones be bygones.

I have enjoyed my Mystery Ranch (MR) packs and as has been discussed here the company is now having most packs made overseas at a little savings to the consumer. I am not saying they dont make good products BUT seeing the word VIETNAM on it ( others have posted that its not Vietnam but they list VIETNAM on the website and on the inner pack label) bothers me.I was aware of the outsourcing and still made the purchase but when I read the label it really hit me. I am a vet ,was raised bye a Marine who served multiple tours in Nam and I lost 2 uncles in that dump. A quick wiki search will confirm Vietnam is still run bye commies . I understand why some companies outsource and I dont intend to bash MR but am VERY disappointed that they chose to not only outsource but to also choose this nation out of all nations to outsource to. BAD move and I am done buying MR products.View attachment 67741

I see your point and support your thoughts. That is why I bought a Kifaru.

Whenever I can, I purchase products made in the USA within reason. Last year I bought a 12 ton bottle jack from the last American made jacks and paid about twice as much. Very proud of my heritage and where I live, so I support the US companies as much as possible.

I know I will take flack, but no way I am going to use some POS from an outsourced country on my American made Jeep. MERICA!!! **** yeah!!!

ahlgringo

WKR
The war ended in 73 didn’t it ?...... might be time to let bygones be bygones.

Though easy to say, without being there, or experiencing it, I wouldn't judge. I used to have a neighbor who was in Pearl Harbor- he was the oldest surviving veteran of PH in Washington State. Anyway- great guy with lots of stories, yet to his dying day- he could not get over what Japan had done to us. I can't say that if I had been through the same- I would be any different. Its nice to think that maybe we can forgive, forget, and move on- but I have not experienced such, therefore- I hold no opinion as to how people cope.

Bottom line- vote with your dollars

bozeman

WKR
Agreed, vote with the $$....Pay a little more......I am trying to do more of the same. While in my 30's and not history with the military 'family wise', I do respect our country and those serving. I believe, personally, we could all benefit from buying domestic products and paying a little more. I respect your stance, V. Hippie!

wapitibob

WKR
A guy I used to work with, and a buddy, used to snipe civilians out in the fields for shiits and giggles.

It goes both ways.

Trial153

WKR
I would argue that that there is way more value in it for you to stop harboring hate for people and a place now for mistakes made 40 years ago. Especially considering that it’s barely relevant today. Since we are talking about buying a back pack. I don’t see any value in making this a personal affront to you or family. It’s a pack, and needs to be made some place. Hell I am sure there Americans that would so how be offended by it be produced in America.

If you want to only buy only American because of altruistic reasons I am all for it. Have at it. However doing from your stated perspective seems pretty unproductive for your psyche.

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
Pardon the interruption:

I wonder if folks with Cherokee heritage hold a similar grudge about buying American?

VH I am sorry for the loss that your family incurred as a result of that war. Thank you for serving us through your efforts while in our military. I deeply appreciate your defense of our constitution! I have some experience in that part of the world in a missions role and thought I would add a bit of info on the present realities of commerce and communism in Vietnam.

It's interesting that the war did not root out the philosophy of communism BUT it seems that capitalism is beginning to recently make in-roads to that end. Vietnam because of it's governmental system has been left to the backwaters of the global economy for decades since that conflict. But over the past ten years it's leaders have begun to realize that this has not benefited their country or them. In general Asians are hard workers and family oriented but under a communistic government hard work becomes slave labor with practically zero chance of advancement.

Recently Vietnam has begun a PR campaign to attract businesses to locate and set up shop or manufacturing there. They realize now that this will not happen unless changes were made to their governing. They have really loosened up the reins of dominating the populace, especially in the south half of the country, to improve their image internationally and attract global commerce. This results in greater freedoms for their people and more opportunities to succeed and advance their standard of living. The government still has a very strong grip on the north of the country and it's said that probably every other person you see is on the govt. payroll (informants) to maintain that order. I say all this to point out that it may actually be commerce that is pushing back against the very communism that is offensive to you. As the different countries in the east begin to get a taste of some freedom and opportunities for advancement afforded through a different type of governance, it could, I believe, tip the scales toward what your family was fighting for. It's kind of how our country began, a yearning for economic freedom (Boston tea party) resulted in the populace rising up to take it from the heavy-handed rulers of England.

Anyway, just a little different way of looking at this topic. I love American made products and I think it healthy economically for us to be a nation that makes goods. I also realize that in a global economy, goods produced elsewhere also benefits some Americans financially and others as well.

NDGuy

WKR
I will only buy American if it is truly made better. Trouble is that isn't usually true anymore.

Made in America doesn't carry weight like it used to.

A guy I used to work with, and a buddy, used to snipe civilians out in the fields for shiits and giggles.

It goes both ways.

My 8-year-old came home from school one day and told me he hated people from Japan. He had just learned about PH. I explained that Japan is a much different country now, and also told him about Hiroshima & Nagasaki. I asked how he would feel if Japanese people hated HIM because of atomic bombs “we” dropped over there. Suddenly it clicked for him...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
How far back to we take this?
My great great grandfather caught some Yankee shrapnel at Shiloh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The sad fact is most people posting on this site are doing it with Chinese made devises.

But we have lots of options when it comes to American made backpacks... Small victories. :)

Last edited:

elkduds

WKR
I love to buy actually-American products. If all the bits came from other countries and got assembled here, I'm less enthused about that.

I definitely prefer local, Mom & Pop businesses to the big box stores, restaurants, banks, etc.

I can understand the OP’s position real easy. 9/11 was 16 plus years ago, but the sight of what happened is still fresh in my mind. If 30 years from now one of Osama Bin Laden’s sons was making hunting packs I would most certainly refuse to support his business out of spite. As for Mystery Ranch, we do have American options... which does matter to me... and as soon as Exo releases their 2018 packs I will be making a purchase.

mt100gr.

WKR
I also try to buy American or local products. Quality and price play a role though.

One of my grandfathers messed up his paperwork and wasn't at pearl harbor - a lot of his brothers weren't so lucky. Instead he was gut shot in Germany, survived, and made it to 99 years old. My other grandfather was career air force. Served in Korea flying C130s over with supplies and home full of bodies. He wouldn't allow a grain of rice in the house until the day he died - he'd had his fill, so to speak. Everyone has their reasons and your hard earned dollars should go where you see fit. 'Merica.